Dingos turkey trot into november! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay come join us, newbie, master, speedster, snail...we have all levels and woggers, joggers, walkers and runners!

Join us as we prep for the eating season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

I think I need to set some goals for myself as we enter, as I put it, "eating season." Run minimum of 4x a week and shoot for 5. At least one long run (+8), one mid-run (5-6) and two more 4-5 milers. One speed workout a week. Sigh. How can someone who does half marathons regularly be so darned lazy when it comes to speed work?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 PM

subbing

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 11-01-2008, 09:33 PM

:

:

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 PM

subbing

also Dr Jen, can you add me to the race list for Nov 27 for a 5k Turkey Trot?

I can't believe it's November already, I graduate from college in 2 months!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 PM

:

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 PM

Subbing...

My goal...I WILL : this month!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Here's the race list for the November thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

its_our_family - 99th Annual Thanksgiving Day Race (Cincinnati) - November 27
HBM, mamabeth - Atlanta Half-Marathon - November 27
doctorjen - Turkey Trot - November 27
mommajb - Drumstick Dash - November 27
ashcav - 5K Turkey Trot - November 27
babybugmama - Turkey Trot 8K - November 27
modmom and dd - Bonfield Express 5K - November 27
JenLove - Thanksgiving 5K - November 27
cornflake girl - Las Vegas Half Marathon - December 7
SugarAndSun - NYRR Hot Chocolate 15K - December 20
SugarAndSun, kate~mom - Boston Marathon - April 20, 2009
Penelope - Kentucy Derby Half Marathon - April 25, 2009
JayGee, doctorjen, Balancin1, Runningmommy, babybugmama, Geofizz, mommajb, bec - Indianapolis Mini Marathon - May 2, 2009
Plady - San Juan Island Half Marathon - June 7,2009
Plady - San Francisco Marathon - July 26, 2009

The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - mid-February

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:31 PM

It occurred to me after not looking at mdc all day that I better get over here in case there was a new Nov thread so I could get the race list up!

The younger 2 trick-or-treated last night - little dd in her Cinderella costume, and ds with a friend. We gave out an amazing amount of candy - mostly to very polite little people, though. We get a fair number of teenagers later in the night, but as long as they bother to put on a costume they don't bother me!

I haven't run since Sun due to sewing madness and general busy-ness. I'm planning to hit the treadmill after little dd goes to bed tonight. The middle 2 kids have a swim meet tomorrow and dh is taking them because I'm on call and have to stay home.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 PM

subbing

DrJen

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Hi, I will join...I am training for a marathon in 09. I live in Bozeman MT which means high altitude running. I run now about 25-30 mi/wk. I may do a 5 k in a month or so, if I can fit it into my vy busy schedule...The cold weather always knocks me down a bit, but I will get acclimated in a month or so.

I love the positive attitudes on these threads and will be subbing!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:42 PM

Another for you DrJen.

Thanks for the new thread. I think I need to find a Turkey Trot or something for later this month. Otherwise, I see myself descending into sloth-dom!

All the results from today's half are finally up. My chip time was 1:40:38. Gun time was 1:41:13.
Overall: 153/1736
Womens: 22/959
W40-44 AG: 5/125
I'm pleased, to say the least .

Now I need to get my aching fanny off the computer chair and bake a cake and some cupcakes for DS's birthday party tomorrow. The fun never ends, does it???? And would you believe he's at his very first sleepover ever tonight? My boy..... growing up.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 11-01-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome SMUM

Add me for the turkey trot 8k on thanksgiving....

Drjen a therapist can't hurt. If she meets the person and is adament about not going though I would respect her wishes and perhaps keep trying to find someone else with which she could connect. It just seems like you guys need someone on the outside who is not emotionally charged by the situation and someone that she could perceive is on her side even though they are more of a mediator.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 AM

Popping in to sub.

I'm exhausted.. baby shower was today.. and I didn't think it was possible to be showered with so many gifts!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 AM

: gigi!

sparkle - hm...why do you say that about lafoot? i will definitely check out transports - seems like a good place. there were a few bad reviews of transports on yelp and mostly good ones of lafoot, but i don't rely on those solely, would love to hear your point of view on that one

my ankle is twinge-y but i plan to run a few miles tomorrow. it's been dumping rain all day so i hope it breaks enough tomorrow for a quick run!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM

subbing:
Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 AM

I found out today that my great uncle passed away last night. Our family has been taking care of him for the last two years since his wife died. He has no children. My mom, and her siblings and my grandmother went to visit him (in KY) on Tues because he was sick and in hospital. Now they have gone back up there to arrange things. He had been splitting his time between KY and GA.
My dad is very sick too. He has celiacs and has been having problems lately
I'm just so tired. I work so much, that I don't have time to help care for people like I used to. I actually don't mind helping take care, but I feel guilty because I can't do all the things I used to. I can't help take care of my grandparents right now etc.. I think I have to change things up sooner, so that I can get back to that.
Sorry, just had to get that out. blork!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM

I'm here.
Here's the goals for November:
a. pass phd defense (thursday 115 central time for the phd-stalkers out there)
b. I'm giving up all coke products with the end of graduate school. I've done it in the past and this time I'm the real deal. Even no diet soda with my chipotle dinner after I rock the exam thursday. The folks down there in Atlanta, Georgia have taken enough of the R-C dollar over time. It's coffee or nothing here.
c. Catch up on sleep. I'm about -40 hours for October and frankly, my health is feeling it.
d. Be able to run/walk the local turkey trot on turkey day. I don't care if I have to crawl, my body is feeling very 33 and I want to feel younger and more fit.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 AM

subbing. TY for the Bday wishes!!! I had a good day today, as I am blessed with a great family, extended family, adn frineds :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM

I ran. I feel better, if still not great. I've run 800 miles this year - a lifetime personal high, with 2 months to go!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 AM

Jaygee - AWESOME! Isn't that exactly what the calculator said you could do? I never come anywhere near what it says I should do. Hmmm, so it seems the calc. is reliable after all and I'm just a slacker. I guess I can't just blame the calc. anymore.

cathtoria - happy birthday!

mommabelle -

kerc - good luck giving up coke. That sounds like a real challenge. Maybe I'm projecting a bit and what I really mean is, that would be really hard for me.

rr: ran 10.5 and it was one of those really good days where everything just felt great. I cannot believe how much wrapped candy litters the sidewalk the day after halloween. Man, it was all I could do not to gobble up the chocolate - esp. the peanut butter cups!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
rr: ran 10.5 and it was one of those really good days where everything just felt great. I cannot believe how much wrapped candy litters the sidewalk the day after halloween. Man, it was all I could do not to gobble up the chocolate - esp. the peanut butter cups!
That gives me such a funny visual. Glad you had a good run!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 AM

hugs MBelle. So sorry about your relatives. But give yourself a break, b/c your 1st priority really is with your immediate family, so don't make yourself feel guilty about working... we all know that you aren't scrubbing potatoes daily for selfish reasons. KWIM.......

DrJen and BBM... I noticed over 800 miles for both of you. :, that's quite an accomplishment.

Atl Dingoes, what about the Alpha Half or 10K. It is very close to HBM and MB.s homes, right? And MBelle and I can get half price race fees as LTF members somehow? the 10K is a ptree qualifier. I need a ptree qualifier, but I'd really like a 13.1 magnet on my car.......

people walk in halfs sometimes, no???

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Yes, I've been up since 5:15am because someone forgot to give my 4 yo DD the memo on the time change .

Mamabelle ~ Gigi is right. You can't do it all and your family is your top priority. Don't feel guilty. It sounds like there are lots of other family members who can do what needs to be done. It's not all on you .

Kerc ~ you must be SO excited to defend! The end is in sight. Good luck on ending your Coke addiction. I couldn't do it. No way.

Gigi ~ LOTS of people walk in halfs! But I bet you could run the whole thing .

cornflake girl ~ love the visual of you running through a sea of candy. Not sure I could withstand the temptation! And you're right about the McMillan calculator. It really was right on target. I wonder what it says I can do for a full marathon (yes, I'm thinking about it for next year .

Another huge day today ~ church, DS's birthday party at the bowling alley, and getting ready for a new week. Hope everyone got to sleep a little later than I did .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Yes, I've been up since 5:15am because someone forgot to give my 4 yo DD the memo on the time change .
My little dd woke me up at 415. At first I was thinking, "sweet. It's really 615. I can get up and work." then I realized that we fall BACK so 5:15 is really 4:15. urgh.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 AM

I was up at 5:30, but I never changed the clocks because Id be in for a bummer if I told myself it was really 5:30, so as far as Im concerned, its 7:57 right now until sometime around noon, when it just stays noon for 2 hours....

Poppy - you might be right. My feeling about Lafoot was always that they were very specialized. They're very technical about how they measure gait and stride and recommend shoes. Also expensive. If i could have afforded it, maybe I wouldnt have been cynical. Upon thinking about that factor now, I think it would be luxurious to really find out whats going on with my body when I run. As for transports, they used to be owned by and all the employees were runners, so there was a lot of knowledge, and they were the first to diagnose my stride. I asked for the same shoes I usually get and they said, well, lets take a look. They ended up recommending a different shoe based on the shape of my foot and how it struck the ground and it was a revelation (running in those shoes). They fit my feet like none before. I continued to go there, because I liked that they were independent, and that they had gear (one stop).

ds is driving me : Im not feeling gentle right now! he's in extended time-out ....

SMUM - welcome. Winter mountain running remember how wonderful it is going to be to hear the crunch under your feet, and how good it smells, and how you get good and sweaty but never too hot. Aaaah

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 AM

hi guys. sorry i've been mia. first i was in San Diego for the big conference that I run. While I was there my grandfather passed away and so on Wed I got a flight to PA to be with my family for the funeral. DH and DS drove down and most of my family was able to be here as well. Although sad, it's been nice to see everyone.

not much running to report, but have managed a mtn bike ride in PA. Hoping to get out today again before we drive back home. last night dh and I went to see the dave brubeck quartet and it was very cool. He's 88 years old, but definitely still has it.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 PM

I meant to say welcome to SMUM. I think it's cool to see people still posting on MDC who joined in 2001.......

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome sparkletruck and cathtoria! I don't post much here at MDC, but have been reading for a while.

I think I read one person post that 33 feels rough, well I am almost 41 in a few months, and have never felt better physically; in fact now my kids are older, 20, 8 and 6, I have loads more energy and sleep helps. SO age is relative! It just gets better

I really enjoy reading and will try to keep up with all of you inspirational women!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM

SMUM. Welcome!

, Mommabelle!

And a late :, Gigi! Sorry I missed it yesterday!

The move is mostly done. H still has to go back over this morning and take out about 30 loads of trash and finish a little bit of cleaning, but he said I don't need to go with him, which is a-ok. I didn't sleep very well last night, it was weird having someone else in bed with me. The dog helped a lot with the awkwardness, since he was pretty firmly planted between us most of the night.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

User Tag List