South Beach Diet- Breastfeeding and Vegetarian (or is there a better lower carb diet?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I do it? My toddler is 18 months and only bf'ing a couple times a day, but I don't want to stop anytime soon. I'm vegetarian, but don't eat straight dairy (like milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream) or eggs. My doctor recommended I lower my carbs because I have PCOS and I've been gaining weight around the middle in spite of more healthful eating (calorie wise, but not lower carbs). He did some blood tests and my fasting blood sugar was high. He recommended 25-30 grams of carbs per meal.

I don't eat a ton of tofu or fake meats, but I'm good with beans.

I haven't read the book in years. We weren't vegetarian when dh did it, and I was bf'ing 3 month old twins and the last thing I wanted to do then was care about a diet! I know dh had a lot of success with that way of eating though.

I think the author recommends not doing phase 1 if you're breastfeeding. Could I do phase 1 mostly but add in fruits and brown rice and very occasional whole grain bread?

Do I need to eat dairy for it to work well? I remember a lot of cottage cheese and and string cheese. I'm almost never full the way I eat now. I'm eating enough calories, but they're too high in carbs, I guess. I constantly think about food. Dh said that he was always satisfied eating the SB way.

I'm really conflicted about dairy. As a vegetarian, I don't want to consume it. I think there are a lot of negative health issues with it also. I believe that milk is food for baby cows, not people. But I have a lot of people telling me that it *is* good and almost necessary to do low carb as a veg. I want to be healthy too.

Has anyone done SB while a vegetarian (specifically very little dairy and no eggs)? What do you eat? Is it a concern if I lose a lot of weight in the first couple weeks for my nursing toddler as long as I'm eating enough calories?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give. I really want to lose 20-25 lbs to look better, but mostly to be healthy again. I don't feel well and I haven't got much energy the way I'm going now.

ETA: Okay, I know I'm not going to be okay adding dairy. I would be miserable everytime I ate it and would feel like I was eating a piece of meat. So I need low carb VEGAN options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can certainly eat more nuts- those are vegan and very low in carbs. If you eat eggs, those are also a good low-carb choice. More information on low-carb vegetarians here.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 3 Old 11-04-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I've been eating sunflower seeds lately and that's helpful. I'll have to look at some different nuts as well. I remember that we used to keep macadamia nuts around. I think that was from SB too. I don't like a ton of nuts plain but I did like those.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page