Light headed during yoga???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really trying to like yoga, and I seem to like it more and more with each class that I take. I don't find it comfortable to have my head down, like in downward dog or poses like that. I feel like the blood is rushing to my head, my face gets red, and I get light headed/dizzy when I turn upright again. Am I breathing wrong or something??? TIA

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#2 of 4 Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 AM

You may or may not be breathing out of sync with the yoga poses you are doing.....

Regardless, I think if you are feeling light-headed during any pose, you should let your instructor know & ease out of the pose. The great thing about yoga is that there is no time limit- you do what you can, when you can.....

I personally love a lot of the standing poses, but do not like shoulder stand at all. That one always makes me feel dizzy & weird. I will do it for a short time, but I always come down into child pose when I start to get dizzy....

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#3 of 4 Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Any standing pose where my head tilts back I end up passing out on so I don't tilt my head back. When I do downward ones I have to come up slowly & take deeper breaths so I don't get lightheaded.
#4 of 4 Old 11-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Do you have low blood pressure? Are you experiencing any sinus issues?

Those are the two things that create that light-headed, dizzy feeling for me in down dog and forward fold and other such poses. Ask your instructor for modifications. I will do flat-back instead of forward fold and half dog or child's pose instead of down dog when I am feeling dizzy or lightheaded.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page