Christianity and Gaia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis

Interesting theory about the earth being an interactive organism whose different parts work to maintain a homeostasis that's conducive to life (my non-scientific and probably inaccurate paraphrase ).

I'm so glad I looked into this -- because the only thing I'd heard about Gaia previously, was that it was a "religion" that teaches that humans are a blight on the earth.

Gaia isn't actually a religion, it's a hypothesis -- and its proponents don't seem to claim any awareness or planning on the part of Gaia (or Earth). Which brings me back, of course, to why I believe in God as Creator.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis

Interesting theory about the earth being an interactive organism whose different parts work to maintain a homeostasis that's conducive to life (my non-scientific and probably inaccurate paraphrase ).

I'm so glad I looked into this -- because the only thing I'd heard about Gaia previously, was that it was a "religion" that teaches that humans are a blight on the earth.

Gaia isn't actually a religion, it's a hypothesis -- and its proponents don't seem to claim any awareness or planning on the part of Gaia (or Earth). Which brings me back, of course, to why I believe in God as Creator.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.
James Lovelock has wrote some interesting books on the Gaia hypothesis. For example Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth Link found here

Quote:
In this classic work that continues to inspire its many readers, James Lovelock deftly explains his idea that life on earth functions as a single organism. Written for the non-scientist, Gaia is a journey through time and space in search of evidence with which to support a new and radically different model of our planet. In contrast to conventional belief that living matter is passive in the face of threats to its existence, the book explores the hypothesis that the earth's living matter-air, ocean, and land surfaces-forms a complex system that has the capacity to keep the Earth a fit place for life.
Part of the product description

Peace
Old 12-08-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Especially interesting is the Daisyworld computer simulation (I haven't seen it, just read about it in the Widepedia article), where the planet (like ours) revolves around a sun that's getting increasingly hotter. The planet has black and white daisies, and the simulation shows how the daisies work to keep a homeostasis that's conducive to life.

When black daisies predominate, they absorb the sun's heat and the planet gets hotter -- when white daisies increase, they reflect/repel the sun's heat and the planet gets cooler. When grey daisies are added, they help the planet to acheive an even better homeostasis.

This compares to the way that life on earth (both plant and animal life) interacts with the whole range of other elements that make up earth, to create the temperatuture/balance that's most conducive to continued life.

That book sounds interesting, Imogen. Have you studied Gaia? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to a thought-provoking article about Christian theology and Gaia --

http://www.heureka.clara.net/gaia/christ.htm

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Especially interesting is the Daisyworld computer simulation (I haven't seen it, just read about it in the Widepedia article), where the planet (like ours) revolves around a sun that's getting increasingly hotter. The planet has black and white daisies, and the simulation shows how the daisies work to keep a homeostasis that's conducive to life.

When black daisies predominate, they absorb the sun's heat and the planet gets hotter -- when white daisies increase, they reflect/repel the sun's heat and the planet gets cooler. When grey daisies are added, they help the planet to acheive an even better homeostasis.

This compares to the way that life on earth (both plant and animal life) interacts with the whole range of other elements that make up earth, to create the temperatuture/balance that's most conducive to continued life.

That book sounds interesting, Imogen. Have you studied Gaia? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I haven't spent a huge amount of time looking in to it :-) But when I read Lovelock's book Revenge of Gaia, the science of it made a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check that out.

I have to say, Lovelock is a supporter of nuclear power as an alternative to dependency on fossil fuels and natural energy sources, I'm a little nervous about that position, but he does explain why he supports it in Revenge of Gaia.

Peace
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! So why does he support it?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Wow! So why does he support it?
Off the top of my head, because it's been a while since I've read the book. But he argues that it is the 'safer' option and the natural energy, such as wind turbines could well impact upon the natural rythm of gaia.

Or something to that effect

Might be worth reading the book, I'm not very good explaining things like this.

User Tag List