Pagans at Christmas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-09-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK so... My ds came home from school today. They are learning about Christmas traditions from around the world. They had homework where they were supposed to write about thier family's Christmas traditions. My son wrote "We go to Cahokia Mounds to see the sunrise. We open presents! Yule is the longest night!" So, we talked about Christmas and Hanukah and Yule, and I asked him if anyone in his class celebrated Hanukah. He's in first grade so we didn't get too deep. He said "No, just Christmas." I wonder if there's going to be trouble from this. I wonder how I'm going to handle it.
If you're around West/central Illinois, you should check out Woodhenge on the Solstices and Equinoxes. Very cool to see the sun come up over those posts like clockwork. The Equinoxes are especially cool cause it comes up right over Monk's Mound.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#2 of 5 Old 12-09-2008, 02:16 AM

I never get around to getting there for the solstices or equinoxes and I really should, I'm only about 20 minutes from them. When the kids get a bit older, I will defnintely start going.

Good luck and hope theres nothing to handle and it all goes smoothly

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 5 Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM

I am not a Pagan, but wanted to say that your tradition sounds beautiful and obviousley has impacted your DC very much. I hopw all goes well in class.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#4 of 5 Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

No major problems, other than some girl said she wasn't his friend anymore. I told him that soundes awfully petty and he agreed. : I love my son.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#5 of 5 Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 PM

Gee, Christmas is just an old pagan holiday anyway...so we do it up old world style. Greenery, apple cider, Father Winter. I like the idea of watching the sunrise. We do a ritual with candles, and our UU congregation decorates a big a*s pine tree. Looks like the world tree itself!!

I'm glad it didn't cause your son any trouble. but honestly, how many families really focus on the "Jesus" part anyway? My inlaws are the only people I know who go to mass on Xmas. We never even read the Xmas story at my house.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page