question for Muslims - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure if this can be posted here or not, but if it can - why does the muslim religion have laws that excecute people who leave it? I know someone from Iran who was raised Muslim and she said she is very scared about returning there because there was a law passed there that says they will excecute any Muslims who change their religion.
Does anyone know about or understand that law?
Thank you.
#2 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM

I'm totally just guessing here, but maybe that's a secular law passed by religious extremists, rather than something really advocated by "Muslims."

As an excommunicated former Christian sect, members of my former religion shun me and treat me as though I were dead, so that's pretty painful. But I know they feel like there is Biblical precedence and instruction for it...
#3 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 10:00 PM

There's a good article on this at religious tolerance.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_apos.htm

Basically, I do not agree with it... because the Qur'an specifically says there is to be no compulsion in religion. Also... if I tell you, believe or I'll kill you... ummm... that's not really authentic faith. So, it's not like God doesn't know that you're faking it or whatever.

I've never understand any of the convert or die type things... be it within Islam...the Spanish Inquisition...etc. :

The justification for the death penalty is based on ahadith... statements attributed to Prophet Muhammad after his death... so to me, their validity is always questionable. (They were not written down during his lifetime... so it becomes like a giant game of telephone to me.) There is nothing in the Qur'an that suggests death for apostasy.... and ahadith are NOT supposed to contradict the Qur'an.

I also know plenty of people who have gone through periods of unbelief or doubt... only to become stronger in their faith later on. Killing somebody denies them of this possibility. And in the end, only God knows what somebody believes and how they live their life/faith.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#4 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Do you know anything about this law that has been passed in Iran or where I can find out about it? Do many other countries have that as a law as well? Would someone no longer observing Ramadan be considered apostasy? Isn't Ramadan the holiday with the fasting? Because I know someone whose husband was raised Muslim in another country and they used to fast for it, but they no longer do. When I asked her why she does not fast, she said "why would God want someone to do that?" Anyway, she was not raised Muslim, but her husband was. Would he now be considered apostate?
#5 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post
Thank you. Do you know anything about this law that has been passed in Iran or where I can find out about it? Do many other countries have that as a law as well? Would someone no longer observing Ramadan be considered apostasy? Isn't Ramadan the holiday with the fasting? Because I know someone whose husband was raised Muslim in another country and they used to fast for it, but they no longer do. When I asked her why she does not fast, she said "why would God want someone to do that?" Anyway, she was not raised Muslim, but her husband was. Would he now be considered apostate?
I believe Iran does have a law but I believe it is usually applied to Bahais more than Muslims...as they are often viewed as misguided Muslims in Iran. I'll have to check though to see if I can find anything. I don't speak Farsi, so I'm sort of stuck with English-language sources.

I don't think not fasting during Ramadan would get somebody a death sentence. There are plenty of valid reasons for not fasting... illness, pregnancy, breast feeding, traveling, etc. Even if they don't fast, it doesn't necessarily mean they are not a Muslim (nor does fasting mean one is a Muslim). I know a few people who fast more for cultural than religious reasons... and a few people who don't fast but are much better Muslims than I am in terms of how they live their lives and treat others. Once again, it's an internal thing. Only that person knows if they believe in God or believe that Muhammad was one of God's prophets.

From everything I've read, it's pretty hard to be declared an apostate.

As for why fasting or why God would want that... it was very hard for me to understand coming from a Christian (Presbyterian) background where we never fasted... heck, we didn't even give up stuff for lent. I think it has nothing to do with God... it's not giving God anything... but it gives me something. It gives one an amazing appreciation for a simple drink of water... and the acute realization that when I break my fast and drink a big tall glass of water, there are plenty of people in this world, Muslim or non-Muslim, who do not have that luxury of a glass of clean water. There are plenty of people, children as well, who "fast" each day... or eat only one meal per day... not out of choice, but out of necessity. That is what fasting gives me as well.

I can't stick to a diet for one day... but somehow...during Ramadan... I can fast. That to me can be attributed only to God's mercy.

#6 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 PM

Umsami, I really like how you describe the reasons for fasting. I work with a number of Muslims, and have long found it to be an interesting faith, and I think you are a great ambassador here for Islam.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#7 of 7 Old 12-12-2008, 12:05 AM

Oh thanks so much athansor... you made my night.

I really don't think God needs anybody keeping people Muslim by force (or any other religion). Islam can stand on it's own. Plenty of people choose Islam in the West where they can explore/experiment with any religion they want. IMHO, those who feel that Muslims need protection from other faiths... or need to be forced into staying Muslim... are showing their own lack of faith. (Next thing you know there will be a fatwa issued against me. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page