Nuns no longer covering. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
It depends on their order. Each order has their own tradition in regards to dress. Which is decided by that orders leaders, not the Vatican specifically.

You might find this book interesting The Habit: A History of the Clothing of Catholic Nuns by Elizabeth Kuhns

I started reading it a few months ago but got distracted with other books and haven't finished it yet.
Just want to say cause I am way to easily entertaind.
"Catholic Nuns"
and
"Elizabeth Kuhns"

Rhyme.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#32 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

up and i like the nuns that wear pink thats cool
#33 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
ETA: This is something for the individual orders to decide, not for individual Catholics to weigh in on. These women are living their lives in community and service. They deserve our (Catholics) gratitude and respect regardless of the attire their community chooses. They are actual real people living their own lives, not some kind of symbols that we own.
we posted at the same time, but I LOVE this!
#34 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
And then there are the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters, who dress in pink.
Those are spiffy. We have Capuchin sisters around here. They wear brown.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#35 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

i was just wondering b/c i see catholic women on hear talk about covering a lot. its not like i am insulting nuns by asking the question... it was a question after all. and the Church has opinions on lots of things ... which is why i asked about this. i did not know it was up to individual orders.

asking the question does not devalue anything they do. it is rude to assume that i meant that at all. it is religious studies... studies being the operative word.
#36 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 AM

I'm a little confused why you seem to be equating women choosing to cover as a matter of conscience with nuns covering/not covering. Could you maybe explain a little?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#37 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

i was thinking more of the women who believe that the bible says women should cover. i didn't know that any catholics other then nuns covered until reading about it on MDC.. and then i was reading about Catholic women covering because they believe it is in the bible.

ETA- also b/c i know they relaxed the beliefs about covering after Vatican ii but the nuns i knew covered until well after vatican ii and then stopped.. so i wasn't sure it there was a reason for it from a religious perspective or it was just something personal they have become more relaxed about.
#38 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
i was thinking more of the women who believe that the bible says women should cover. i didn't know that any catholics other then nuns covered until reading about it on MDC.. and then i was reading about Catholic women covering because they believe it is in the bible.
I guess I still don't see what individuals interpreting Scripture to read that they should cover has to do with how various orders of nuns decide to dress. The Catholic church actually does leave a good deal to conscience.

If you asked, I bet a lot of those women would feel convicted by St. Paul's instructions to cover, but not feel that it was necessarily a Biblical mandate that everyone should cover.

Another thing is, not all covering is really obvious. Some denominations have pretty standard "uniforms" as far as headcoverings go. Some women are kind of subtle about it. For example, I would consider myself covered probably 90% of the time, and always when in church. But to me, that could mean a large headband or an ornamental hair accessory that covers most of my head, because I choose to cover in a way that's between me and God. And I cover, not because I believe it's a commandment, but because I, personally, feel called to do so as an exercise in humility. And that's one of the more personal things I've shared on MDC in a long while.

ETA because I saw your ETA: I really think you're asking two different and unrelated questions-- why did some nuns stop covering, and why have some Catholic women chosen to cover.

#39 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

you might be right it could be two separate questions. and yeah the church does leave a lot to conscience ... i wasn't sure if this applied to the way religious orders dressed or not.. since for awhile all nuns were pretty covered. i never really thought about why nuns dressed the way they did until i was reading about women covering on mdc. and then i thought maybe nuns covered for the same reasons. and then i was thinking that there were catholic women besides nuns who are still covering. and then i was thinking that it is interesting that while some catholic women believe that they are called to cover and nuns have started believing they do not need to cover. and then i was wondering why they have started to cover less.

wow. that was a lot of things in a thought process lol. does it make more sense?
#40 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I attended Catholic school, and the nuns were fully covered in 1960 and by 1968, they were wearing suits with no head covering.

For myself, as a teacher in a Greek Orthodox School, I made sure I wore long skirts, long sleeves and high neck lines. I liked the modesty that the nuns had and tried to exemplify it as a teacher of young children myself.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#41 of 51 Old 12-22-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
you might be right it could be two separate questions. and yeah the church does leave a lot to conscience ... i wasn't sure if this applied to the way religious orders dressed or not.. since for awhile all nuns were pretty covered. i never really thought about why nuns dressed the way they did until i was reading about women covering on mdc. and then i thought maybe nuns covered for the same reasons. and then i was thinking that there were catholic women besides nuns who are still covering. and then i was thinking that it is interesting that while some catholic women believe that they are called to cover and nuns have started believing they do not need to cover. and then i was wondering why they have started to cover less.

wow. that was a lot of things in a thought process lol. does it make more sense?
FWIW I think it made complete sense and I totally understood why you asked. I didn't think you meant anything weird by it, you were merely curious, am I right? nothing wrong with curiosity.

that said (as a religious/Christian covering woman) I wonder those same things. for instance why do the fathers in the orthodox christian tradition wear robes, but none of the people attending church? I'm sure there is a great reason... I just don't know it. (other than my assumptions, and guesses fo course) but I don't know the reason for sure. the people used to wear coverings and robes... why do only the clergy now? etc... (not to get off topic, just say that I wonder those types of things too)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#42 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
Most of the nuns I know dress ... well, kind of butch. Super-short hair, no jewelry, khakis, blazers. I recently attended a retreat weekend at a Sisters of St. Joseph house ... the only sisters in habits and/or dresses/skirts seemed to be the older/retired women.

Wow, that's pretty rude.

Carmelites? I know a woman who is part of a secular Carmelite order, she wears street clothes but only brown.
A secular Carmelite is not a nun. It is a regular person (for lack of better word) that associates with the order--you take vows, and have a community where you go to meeting a few times a month, pray the divine office and pray for souls, but this is different from being a first order Carmelite--which is a clositered contemplative order (where only one or two members of the community have contact with people on the "outside" with any regularity.

I haven't read the thread, but I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between a nun and a sister. A nun is a fully professed member of a cloistered order--a nun lives in a religious community.

A sister (which is what most people see in the world and call a 'nun' mistakenly) is typically part of a community, but might not live with community members. A lot of teaching sisters or sisters who work in a parish office are these types of individuals--sisters, not nuns.

Most nuns wear habits, depending on the guidelines of their order. hth

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#43 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
FWIW I think it made complete sense and I totally understood why you asked. I didn't think you meant anything weird by it, you were merely curious, am I right? nothing wrong with curiosity.

that said (as a religious/Christian covering woman) I wonder those same things. for instance why do the fathers in the orthodox christian tradition wear robes, but none of the people attending church? I'm sure there is a great reason... I just don't know it. (other than my assumptions, and guesses fo course) but I don't know the reason for sure. the people used to wear coverings and robes... why do only the clergy now? etc... (not to get off topic, just say that I wonder those types of things too)
I think it is helpful to take a particular order and research the reasons they wear a certain habit and have certain rules regulating their order. Many of the habits are based on the particular mode of dress at the time of the founding saint's life. For instance, brown is an important color to the Carmelites, and the Dominicans and Norbertines wear white. The different orders each have their special charism or divine infulence. And it isn't like a protestant kind of Christianity, where it is a relatively modern thing... the Church has its origins in the ancient world, and each order grew out of a particular time in history--frequently in opposition to a part of the church (like the Dominicans and Franciscans, in their founding days, were totally looked at as being radical because the wanted to preach outside the walls of the monastery, etc.).

Each order has its history growing out of a particular time in history, and often influenced by a single, powerful soul (a saint). So just like the clothes we wear today are infulenced by our personality and contemporaries, same with the orders.

So it is really a complex thing and not at all monolithic. Take an individual order you are interested in an look at the reasons the have habits or not.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#44 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
A secular Carmelite is not a nun. It is a regular person (for lack of better word) that associates with the order--you take vows, and have a community where you go to meeting a few times a month, pray the divine office and pray for souls, but this is different from being a first order Carmelite--which is a clositered contemplative order (where only one or two members of the community have contact with people on the "outside" with any regularity.
I know that. I never said she was a nun.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#45 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post

So it is really a complex thing and not at all monolithic. Take an individual order you are interested in an look at the reasons the have habits or not.
yes i realize it's complex. most people who have a specific type of dress alternative to the modern style of ties to way back when. (myself included)

I was only making a point that I could understand why she (OP) asked and that I didn't think it an inappropriate question... if I have questions about cultures and beliefs, I look it up or ask someone from it. just like people do to me.

in fact someone today emailed me to ask me about MY beliefs and how it relates to other modestly dress/head covering christians. I didn't think it was weird of her to ask at all.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#46 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
BTW, a bit OT, but Jane Wyman, the first wife of Ronald Reagan, converted to Catholicism late in her life and became a Dominican Nun. She was buried in the habit. She was the matriarch character on "Falcon Crest". http://www.nndb.com/people/656/000022590/

Another famous woman who became a nun in modern time is Andrea Jaegar, the tennis player from the 1970s. She became a Anglican nun. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...mbledon.tennis

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#47 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
BTW, a bit OT, but Jane Wyman, the first wife of Ronald Reagan, converted to Catholicism late in her life and became a Dominican Nun. She was buried in the habit. She was the matriarch character on "Falcon Crest". http://www.nndb.com/people/656/000022590/

Another famous woman who became a nun in modern time is Andrea Jaegar, the tennis player from the 1970s. She became a Anglican nun. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...mbledon.tennis
I never knew that!
#48 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 PM

I haven't read the thread, but I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between a nun and a sister. A nun is a fully professed member of a cloistered order--a nun lives in a religious community.

A sister (which is what most people see in the world and call a 'nun' mistakenly) is typically part of a community, but might not live with community members. A lot of teaching sisters or sisters who work in a parish office are these types of individuals--sisters, not nuns.

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe this information is correct, though I'm happy to read something correcting me. Nuns are women who have taken final vows in an order. Regardless of the kind of service the order performs. Sister is the term of address for a nun.

I can try to find a link a bit later, but we're going carolling with the neighbors!
#49 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 PM

Of the blessed Mother Theresa: "While working for the Loreto sisters, Mother Teresa received what has been described as her second calling: to leave the convent and help the poor while living among them. After receiving Papal permission from the Vatican to work as an "non-cloistered nun," she removed the traditional black and white habit and dawned her now widely recognized outfit: a white sari with three blue stripes. This appearance enabled her to blend with those who lived on the street and become more closely connected with them. Living with the poor, she had continuously demonstrated her love and respect for them.'

http://www.wagingpeace.org/menu/prog...esa-mother.htm
#50 of 51 Old 12-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
I don't believe this information is correct, though I'm happy to read something correcting me. Nuns are women who have taken final vows in an order. Regardless of the kind of service the order performs. Sister is the term of address for a nun.

I can try to find a link a bit later, but we're going carolling with the neighbors!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nun

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#51 of 51 Old 12-24-2008, 01:09 AM

Wow! I ran across this, http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11164a.htm which really is all you'd ever want to know about nuns!

It looks like "cloister" is what we commonly call a "convent." Not what I think of when I think of cloister! Since I'm no nun or sister and I've been in and around convents all my life, and never been in a cloister.

Cool reading and thanks for the link.

A ran across this while I was looking around. Delightful reading:

http://anunslife.org/

and a nice view into nuns as real people!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page