Nuns no longer covering. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
since i have been on MDC i have seen many posts by devout Catholics reference modest dress and hair covering. i know that many Catholics do not dress modestly or cover their hair... and i think i remember someone saying this was because of a decision from Vatican 2.

now my question is nuns. i had a whole bunch of them as teachers.. since my school was run by the convent down the street... and the retired nuns lived in a building that was connected to the school by an outdoor walkway. i think b/c it was a coed school so it couldn't be attached directly... we had to cross an 10 ft long outdoor walkway with a roof.. lol.. talk about being real literal.

anyway when i started school it was right after the nuns stopped wearing the really really big head coverings and only wore the veils .. but the veils still covered their hair and ears. by the time i graduated 8th grade i don't think any of them wore head covering at all except the really really old ones in the old nuns home (sorry thats what we called it... i have no idea what its actually called) and many of them did not wear dresses at all.. in fact one of them coached basketball and wore shorts.

why did they stop covering? what are your thoughts on this from a religious perspective, social perspective, and 'political' (as in politically correct not political like POTUS lol) perspective?

i was sad b/c i liked the way nuns dressed.. i used to want to be one so i could wear the outfit lol .. and b/c i really liked sr. maria in the sound of music.

i am not a practicing Catholic anymore but i do dress modestly and cover my hair... just personal preference not really religious... so that probably influences my thoughts on this. i thought nuns dressed that way for a reason.. what happened?
#2 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 PM

It depends on their order. Each order has their own tradition in regards to dress. Which is decided by that orders leaders, not the Vatican specifically.

You might find this book interesting The Habit: A History of the Clothing of Catholic Nuns by Elizabeth Kuhns

I started reading it a few months ago but got distracted with other books and haven't finished it yet.
#3 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 PM

When I was young, most nuns wore a wimple, etc. Gosh, I remember seeing Audrey Hepburn in "A Nun's Story" and wanting to be a nun... (Says the ex-Presbyterian, now Muslim.)

I always thought it had something to do with being the "bride of Christ" as well as the statement for women to cover their heads when praying (Corinthians?)...but I could be wrong.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#4 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

hmm i didn't know it depended on the order. thats interesting. one would think there was some sort of consensus about these things lol.
#5 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
It depends on their order. Each order has their own tradition in regards to dress. Which is decided by that orders leaders, not the Vatican specifically.
This.

babyf.gif

#6 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 04:57 PM

I worked at a catholic hospital for 3 years. only the very old nuns (and not even all of them) worse the veils. there outfit was just a modest (not even as modest as i would wear) blue skirt, white shirt, blue sweater and white or navy veil that covered their ears and hair. most nuns you would never know were nuns. I think I freaked them out a little bit when they saw my covering.... as they all wished me "Happy Chanakah!" all winter long. (guess they didn't realize other Christians cover too???)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#7 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

lol yeah... people are forever asking me what religion i am.. man it awkward when i lol. then why do you wear that. why don't you. lol its an equally bizarre question

why blue? every nun i have ever known wore blue.
#8 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 06:21 PM

I don't know why blue. I assume it's a rather modest color. and I'm sure it has it's roots in the idea of "purity" though I when I think of purity blue I tend to think of light blue... but whatever.

I didn't realize you covered. why didn't i know that?! heh...

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#9 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM

Depends on the order.

My parents and two siblings are devout and conservative Catholics and have been bemoaning the liberalism and radical feminism they've seen increasing among some religious orders for years now. Dropping the habit and covering has actually been going on for a couple of decades now.
#10 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
I don't know why blue. I assume it's a rather modest color. and I'm sure it has it's roots in the idea of "purity" though I when I think of purity blue I tend to think of light blue... but whatever.

I didn't realize you covered. why didn't i know that?! heh...
it doesn't come up much since its not a religious thing lol. though people always assume it is... apparently you can't be modest unless it's for religious reasons.

and yeah the purity thing makes sense... the nuns in my school wore a light blue/ dark blue combo lol

cappucinosmom - yeah it has i started Catholic school in... the early 90's and they had already stopped the wimple and had stopped covering almost completely by the time i graduated 8th grade in 2001
#11 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Blue is associated with Mary (she is almost always shown in blue in paintings.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#12 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 PM

The old-fashioned habits (clothing) that most nuns wore were not really special outfits; most were just the kind of clothes people wore at the time the order was founded. If you look at pictures of clothing in the middle ages they are very similar to many types of habits. In general all women covered their heads in public, especially in church.

Different orders had different habits and rules, often passed down with few or no changes. At Vatican II, orders of nuns and monks were encouraged to review their rules, and concider if changes should be made. Many groups modified their rules to some degree, including their habits or clothing. In some cases they got rid of the habit altogether and wore modern clothes with a cross necklace. It depended on what the particular calling of that group was, orders of nuns who worked with the public often made changes so as to seems less intimidating. Nursing nuns made changes that made sense for their jobs.

Some orders kept the old habits that they always wore. This seems especially true of cloistered nuns.

I have noticed that although many groups of monks also changed their clothing requirements, they don't seem to have received the same kind of criticism that nuns have, or been accused of immodesty.:

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#13 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Not Catholic but DH is and has a great aunt who is a nun. At Thanksgiving she (and her nun friends) were wearing white dresses w/ blue accents and white/blue habits (head coverings). I have never seen her wear anything different.
#14 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 10:23 PM

I grew up with a nun as my next door neighbor for most of my life (she still lives next door to my parents).
I've never seen her in a habit (I'm remembering back to the late 80's here). She would always wear pants and sweaters, and no head covering (as far as I know) unless it was cold outside.
I used to ask my parents when I was a kid why she didn't look like the nuns on TV, lol.
She is a Dominican sister and has been a nun for many many years. She also has a PHD and was a professor of theology for many many years and has done lots of great things for our community. She's probably one of the women I've known that I admire most actually I have never thought of her as particularly liberal or feminist, just very smart and kind. I do know that if I were a nun (which is unlikely considering I'm not even Christian...) I would want to be a Dominican .
#15 of 51 Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 PM

My nana worked at a convent as a cook when i was little, i also wanted to be a nun! i loved the outfit. A lot of the older nuns continued to wear the older style of dress. There is an order here in oz that wears brown, i forget the name of the order but it was founded here. Also there is a great Australian series called brides of christ that covers this time, i watched it awhile ago when i was in catholic high school but it is really interesting, its a drama.
#16 of 51 Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 AM

We did get to know some really neat monks and nuns a few years ago. They are Benedictines but there is the word "Renewal" attached to their name somewhere, I forget how it was exactly. They wore the brown robes with a rope belt. The full habit. I think the nuns wore a white headcovering.

That was during the stage when my little sister was considering being a nun. We visited one convent in the Bronx and just fell in love with those ladies. They were incredible, and there were actually quite a few young women. (And young men in the monastary down the street). They were definately among the sweetest, most beautiful, most loving people I have ever met.

Sorry. I just had to gush there a minute.
#17 of 51 Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

lol i think the ones at my school were the daughters of charity. even the ones who didn't work at our school were a big part of our community. just something kind of funny - we had three principles in a row called sr. mary catherine. lol. we used to do stuff with the older nuns all the time. one time we stuck paper four leaf clovers all over their house and then we took them on a hunt for the clovers... a few nuns were bedridden so we pushed them around in their beds.

one of our principals would always tell volunteers "your reward will be great in heaven" lol.. esp. if it was something the volunteer wasn't thrilled to be doing

many of the older nuns kept their head coverings i think...we just didn't see them as much since they didn't work at the school.
#18 of 51 Old 12-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
My nana worked at a convent as a cook when i was little, i also wanted to be a nun! i loved the outfit. A lot of the older nuns continued to wear the older style of dress. There is an order here in oz that wears brown, i forget the name of the order but it was founded here. Also there is a great Australian series called brides of christ that covers this time, i watched it awhile ago when i was in catholic high school but it is really interesting, its a drama.
I saw this series, it was really good, but I had forgotten the name.

There was a very sad scene where one of the older nuns cries when she looks at herself in the mirror, after they have been told that they will be changing to a more modern habit.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#19 of 51 Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM

As Arduinna said, it is completely up to each order. The colors of the habit (if a habit is worn) the head covering/veil, etc. vary from order to order and even group to group (Carmelites, Poor Clares, etc.).

http://romancatholicvocations.blogspot.com/

http://anunslife.org/

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#20 of 51 Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Most of the nuns I know dress ... well, kind of butch. Super-short hair, no jewelry, khakis, blazers. I recently attended a retreat weekend at a Sisters of St. Joseph house ... the only sisters in habits and/or dresses/skirts seemed to be the older/retired women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
lol yeah... people are forever asking me what religion i am.. man it awkward when i lol. then why do you wear that.
Wow, that's pretty rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
There is an order here in oz that wears brown, i forget the name of the order but it was founded here.
Carmelites? I know a woman who is part of a secular Carmelite order, she wears street clothes but only brown.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#21 of 51 Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 PM

It completely depends on the order. The teaching order (Ursulines) from my high school (mid 80s) wore knee-length blue skirts, white shirts and some wore blue habits that covered some of their hair. Most now do not wear a habit at all. I see many teaching orders that do not wear habits

There are several cloistered orders near me that wear the full habit.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#22 of 51 Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
It completely depends on the order. The teaching order (Ursulines) from my high school (mid 80s) wore knee-length blue skirts, white shirts and some wore blue habits that covered some of their hair. Most now do not wear a habit at all. I see many teaching orders that do not wear habits

There are several cloistered orders near me that wear the full habit.
sounds like mennonites/anabaptists! most people don't even know mennonites are mennonites b/c so many have gone without the covering. (I do cover though)

#23 of 51 Old 12-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a PP mentioned, orders were encouraged to review themselve during/after V2. The habit was one of the many things to go (nuns/brothers alike).

Now, however, the Church is blessed with a resurrgance of traditional orders that fully embrace wearing the habit and everything is symbolizes (mainly a separation from secular society. That whole "in the world, but not of it" thing)

Prayers for Vocations!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#24 of 51 Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 PM

My aunt was a sister of St. Joseph until she died of breast cancer 9 years ago.

She left of the habit as soon as her order allowed it. (Hers was the full length penguin gig.)

She still looked like a nun though. Short hair, practical clothes, no make up.

She also took back her own name, with some trepidation since the name she had been given was one of the most beloved sisters in her mother house. (It was Sister Mary Vincentine.)

She liked moving in the world without the habit for a few reasons I think. One, the habit was uncomfortable and distracting. Two, people often couldn't feel her presence and caring when she was working with them (as an elementary school principal) because they were relating to the clothes. Three, the habit scared a lot of people.

Her definition of modesty was mostly behavioral, but included not allowing her clothes to detract from her mission.

ETA: This is something for the individual orders to decide, not for individual Catholics to weigh in on. These women are living their lives in community and service. They deserve our (Catholics) gratitude and respect regardless of the attire their community chooses. They are actual real people living their own lives, not some kind of symbols that we own.
#25 of 51 Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
Now, however, the Church is blessed with a resurrgance of traditional orders that fully embrace wearing the habit and everything is symbolizes (mainly a separation from secular society. That whole "in the world, but not of it" thing)

Prayers for Vocations!
Agreed - we pray for vocations quite a bit. If I were a nun, I'd want a habit!
#26 of 51 Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
These women are living their lives in community and service. They deserve our (Catholics) gratitude and respect regardless of the attire their community chooses. They are actual real people living their own lives, not some kind of symbols that we own.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#27 of 51 Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
x2!
#28 of 51 Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM

me3!
#29 of 51 Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM

And then there are the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters, who dress in pink.

#30 of 51 Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 PM

Did you click on the pics link and see the sister celebrating 75 years of vowed life. Rock on, sister!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page