question about the ten commandments - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i think it's true that nowhere in the new testament are christians told to keep sabbath, but the early christians clearly did. i'm skeptical that each of the other 9 commandments are restated in the new testament, but that doesn't really matter. i never thought christians were "required" to follow the ten commandments, like, to "get into heaven" or something, but i did think most christians valued and tried to keep the commandments.

in any important relationship, whether it's parent-child, a romantic relationship, or even something like employment, we try to figure out what the other person wants, because we want to please them, and if we really trust and respect that person, we consider their advice to be priceless. then again, no matter how important someone is to us, even when we know what they want, there are times we have reasons for making a different choice.

but, you know, it's completely personal, and some "message" i may get in my relationship may be totally different from what someone else is getting, from the same person, and that's cool. i don't have a problem with it. in fact, that's what i was hoping for when i asked what this meant to each of you, because it wouldn't be very interesting if we all took it, and lived it, the same way.
#32 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 12:18 PM

It was ultimately this thought that lead me away from christianity. I had pondered for a long time why we were not observing the commandments. I was told some of the same things that have been said here but when I studied it fully, I just didn't agree. As someone above posted I didn't want to follow men's teachings but looked to what G-d wanted. I looked into when it changed, who changed it (not G-d) and why, as the early church did observe the seventh-day Sabbath. So for many years as a christian I began to informally observe the Sabbath. It felt wonderful and restful and I began to think.... if it is so great, and I am not even doing it formally, then why this idea that it is negative and legalistic?

I really felt originally that my studies would lead me to an early-type church christianity but the more I studied.... it led me completely out of the religion. I could no longer repeat verbatim what I had been taught with a belief that it was true. Among other differences that I could not believe in.

So that led me on a path of conversion to Judaism. :

Yesterday my rabbi was asking about my conversion journey and I told him that the 10 commandments were the starting point of my journey.

I finally feel like those things make sense now instead of explaining it away.
#33 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 PM

I totally understand and respect what yo are saying. but it also seems implied that you now have knowledge of things you dind't when you were a Christian.., but correct me if I'm wrong, you don't have knowledge and understanding of all the things you didn't when you were a christian, right?

I guess I mean to say... and without sounding snide or snarky... it's kinda easy to say to someone "oh I ddn't understand so I gave it up b/c it didn't make sense to me". well... I mean... how do I say this and not sound snotty? it's kinda insulting to a bunch of people of one religion to say to them "yeah, you don't get it... and it makes no sense, so that's why I came here". as it implies their not very smart. and really? I know jewish people who claim not to "get it" but they do it anyways b/c they feel they want to honor god. so really, how is this different from Christianity? I do not feel I need to understand every last thing in the texts in order to be totally ok. there will ALWAY be things I don't fully understand. but... looking at them from anothr prospective may clear one issue up and open up another questin ykwim?

I'm glad you found a path for you to god. I'm not insulting that at all! please, please understand. all I mean to say it that you're giving the impression that all these questions can be answered by switching religions...? (if not, please do clarify)

FWIW, I KNOW a lot of Christians have this arrogant attitude of "we know best and if you would come to our side you'd know best too" and I'm just not of that camp. it's arrogant, frankly. so I just wanted to clarify that's not what I am implying AT ALL. (just so there is no misunderstandings)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#34 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
So for many years as a christian I began to informally observe the Sabbath. It felt wonderful and restful and I began to think.... if it is so great, and I am not even doing it formally, then why this idea that it is negative and legalistic?
It isn't negative and legalistic, necessarily--it's supposed to be a God-given time of rest. But it can become legalistic very easily, and that's the danger. Like the family I mentioned where the kids weren't allowed to leave the living room all day. The 'We Don't Do This On Sunday Because That's Not What We Do' attitude, which isn't about holiness at all. It isn't just the Sabbath issue that has this danger, it's any issue. You can dress modestly out of respect for God, or you can dress modestly because Skirts Shorter Than X Inches Are Indecent. You know?

Quote:
FWIW, I KNOW a lot of Christians have this arrogant attitude of "we know best and if you would come to our side you'd know best too" and I'm just not of that camp. it's arrogant, frankly.
Um... you're a relativist?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#35 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Um... you're a relativist?

I mean that admittedly, a lot of Christians do tend that hold this false attitude of since they are Christian they all have it figured out. I've seen and heard people "witnessing" to those of other religions about how since they became Christians God has made it all clear etc etc etc...

I don't mean anything snarky about it. I mean that God isn't all clear to anyone, period. just by being Chirstians (or jewish or islamic) doesn't give one the ability to fully understand the capacity of God.

my point was intending to be... that well, if you switch religions purely b/c you think one will give more clarity on any given subject, you will only find more questions on other things. If i switched to, I dunno... Buddhism? (far random example) this may "answer" my question about ---- but it would also bring up other question that the religion itself couldn't answer. Religions beliefs need to be believed more than just for the reason of which gives the most clarity. it's also about finding truth in the whole of it. nt just in understanding a few rules, regulations and traditions. I believe in Christianity. I believe it is the one truth. but... I believe that God has given all beings the ability and right to make this journey on their own accord. It is not for me to tell someone "this is what you should do". or to promise them certain clarity. I am sold completely on Christianity, but it took a journey that God brought me through to come there. and by all means, I still have a TON of questions. Do I believe I have the correct path, for sure. But i don't go around saying "I'm right, your wrong... so be right like me". b/c... that ain't how it works. It's a journey, not just a simple decision. and fwiw, I respect that other people of other religions may feel this very same way towards me. but you know? again... I disagree with them.. but I respect their right to believe how they do.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#36 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 11:00 PM

Understood; thanks.

#37 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Understood; thanks.
perhaps my sentiment was best left in my head it wasn't very clear what I meant. sorry about that.

#38 of 54 Old 12-20-2008, 10:01 PM

I had a good SDA friend in Grad school and her whole way of keeping the Sabbath really influenced me. I thought it was lovely... as we never did anything approachign that growing up Presbyterian.

I came across this great book that you might like. It's called "Keeping the Sabbath Wholly" http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Sabbat...9821240&sr=8-1

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#39 of 54 Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
Yes, I know that. But why? It's all the same Bible.
As I was taught, Paul told the early Christians to be pure and circumcised in spirit. Christians are not bound to the dietary laws either.

As I recall, the Christians saw Christ as the fulfillment of the Old Testament and therefore they lived under the New Testament laws.

As I understand it, there are also the Noahic laws and the ten commandments that everyone should follow. Jews have 613 laws to follow.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#40 of 54 Old 12-21-2008, 01:27 AM

I really think that many Christians (although not MDC-mamas ) are unaware of how they are following the teachings of Paul more than Jesus in many instances. A man who never even met Jesus.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#41 of 54 Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
I really think that many Christians (although not MDC-mamas ) are unaware of how they are following the teachings of Paul more than Jesus in many instances. A man who never even met Jesus.
The Christians who follow Paul's teachings rather rigorously, usually argue that Paul did meet Jesus in his vision on the road to Damascus. They also would argue that since the Bible is the Word of God and Jesus is part of the Trinity of God, it doesn't matter who physically put pen to paper in any case. The Christians who would agree that Paul did not, in fact, meet the "real" Jesus in his vision, are non-literalists to begin with; so they already would not necessarily feel obligated to follow all of Paul's teachings.
#42 of 54 Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Yes I have given this much thought actually My husband and I have been discussing what we think of this for a few months now. I'm not sure how I feel. I know I feel somehow blasphemous for even thinking it lol b/c it's against the grain. but in my opinion I'd rather go against the grain and make sure I'm right with God than just accept it. Maybe it is ok to follow paul like following Moses or Jesus for that matter. Maybe ti's taken too far and people weigh a man's opinion over that of Jesus'....

Please don't judge me for wondering this. but i think it's important to look at things and ask questions. I'm not saying Paul was some kind of fraud or anything like that! just that he was limited in his knowledge where as Jesus was not. For instance it is clear Paul thought the second coming would be any day... He seemed convinced He may even see it in his lifetime or it would be soon after. nearly 2000 years later and... well... you get the idea. But Jesus never pushed such an idea, just that there would be one. However Paul never promised any such thing... and He never said anything indicating that Jesus WOULD come giving us the idea he was just going off of his impressions, but He also seemed to be very clear when talking about his thoughts and opinions and sureties he felt/knew from God.

(Not even Moses or Noah could speak for God completely accurately if you think about it.)

On the other hand, Paul was clearly quite wise and wholeheartedly committed. so that weighs heavily with me. He took things very seriously and was willing to be a martyr for it. that passion has to come from somewhere! He clearly had a love and respect for God on a level that many of us will never reach in our lifetime...

#43 of 54 Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 PM

The Preterist view of eschatology answers some of your issues with Paul, HennyPenny, if you're interested. I'm not 100% au fait with eschatology, but I could probably hunt up some links.

#44 of 54 Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
The Preterist view of eschatology answers some of your issues with Paul, HennyPenny, if you're interested. I'm not 100% au fait with eschatology, but I could probably hunt up some links.
I'll just add that to my ever growing list of "gotta read this!" tags on my bookmark lol hopefully I will get around to it soon. as soon as I finished one article or site I'm reading another.

really though, it's not so much a question a person can answer for me, it's more a deep spiritual issue I need clarity from God on ykwim? I wouldn't mind reading other opinions though.

thanks.

#45 of 54 Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#46 of 54 Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post

Please don't judge me for wondering this. but i think it's important to look at things and ask questions. I'm not saying Paul was some kind of fraud or anything like that! just that he was limited in his knowledge where as Jesus was not. For instance it is clear Paul thought the second coming would be any day... He seemed convinced He may even see it in his lifetime or it would be soon after. nearly 2000 years later and... well... you get the idea. But Jesus never pushed such an idea, just that there would be one. However Paul never promised any such thing... and He never said anything indicating that Jesus WOULD come giving us the idea he was just going off of his impressions, but He also seemed to be very clear when talking about his thoughts and opinions and sureties he felt/knew from God.
I have thought a bit about this issue in Paul too. The best conclusion I have come to is that in many ways, it is best for us to live as if the second coming could be at any moment. It's a truth that we could die at any time and that will be the end of our time on earth. When that happens, we should be in the same place, mentally and spiritually, that we would want to be when Christ comes again.

I also don't think that any of the NT writers knew everything that Jesus thought or intended, so all of them, including Paul, can present only a certain part of what Jesus taught and what his life meant. But I think the major question we face as Christians, is do we think that the Bible, as a whole, is the message that God wanted to send to us? If we do, then we must think he worked through those people who wrote the texts, who selected them in the councils, and even who translated and copied them. If that is the case, then Paul's experience and writings are part of that.

If we don't, then the Bible is really just a collection of spiritual writings that we can sift for what has meaning to us.

Paul talks a lot about his "qualifications." I find he is pretty clear when he sometimes gives his personal opinions.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#47 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarJune View Post
It was ultimately this thought that lead me away from christianity. I had pondered for a long time why we were not observing the commandments. I was told some of the same things that have been said here but when I studied it fully, I just didn't agree. As someone above posted I didn't want to follow men's teachings but looked to what G-d wanted. I looked into when it changed, who changed it (not G-d) and why, as the early church did observe the seventh-day Sabbath. So for many years as a christian I began to informally observe the Sabbath. It felt wonderful and restful and I began to think.... if it is so great, and I am not even doing it formally, then why this idea that it is negative and legalistic?

I really felt originally that my studies would lead me to an early-type church christianity but the more I studied.... it led me completely out of the religion. I could no longer repeat verbatim what I had been taught with a belief that it was true. Among other differences that I could not believe in.

So that led me on a path of conversion to Judaism. :

Yesterday my rabbi was asking about my conversion journey and I told him that the 10 commandments were the starting point of my journey.

I finally feel like those things make sense now instead of explaining it away.
Not sure if you were talking to me. Nowhere here do I say “doesn’t make sense” or “don’t understand”. To me…it is very clear what G!d meant. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your G!d; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
Genesis 20:8-11.

When I lived as a christian I asked myself:

Is there anywhere in the scriptures where G!d changed it?

Did jesus follow the seventh-day Sabbath?

Did his disciples follow the seventh-day Sabbath?

Did his apostles (later followers) follow the seventh-day of rest?

Was the early church keeping the Sabbath?

They ALL followed it and nowhere could I find that it was biblically “changed”.

When I studied and I mean intensely studied (one of my degrees is in theology) and saw WHEN and WHY the sabbath was changed historically… I was TERRIFIED. Yeah, it completely freaked me out that we were doing something that was so clearly evident to me to be "wrong". I didn't believe that someone else could change the day and call it "holy" when He had already declared the 7th day as holy.

As I learned more I discovered that the seventh-day Sabbath was not a part of the law, it was pre-Abrahamic, pre-Moses AND was deemed to be a perpetual and everlasting covenant. It started at Creation.

So it definitely was not for me, one of those scriptures that needed to be interpreted and figured out. If G!d tells me to stand on my head at 8:34am every morning for 26 minutes… I will do it! I do not need to understand it or have it make sense. I would probably surmise within myself that soon scientists will come up with a study that doing it precisely at that time and for that long is perfect for optimum health .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
I totally understand and respect what yo are saying. but it also seems implied that you now have knowledge of things you dind't when you were a Christian.., but correct me if I'm wrong, you don't have knowledge and understanding of all the things you didn't when you were a christian, right?

I guess I mean to say... and without sounding snide or snarky... it's kinda easy to say to someone "oh I ddn't understand so I gave it up b/c it didn't make sense to me". well... I mean... how do I say this and not sound snotty? it's kinda insulting to a bunch of people of one religion to say to them "yeah, you don't get it... and it makes no sense, so that's why I came here". as it implies their not very smart. and really? I know jewish people who claim not to "get it" but they do it anyways b/c they feel they want to honor god. so really, how is this different from Christianity? I do not feel I need to understand every last thing in the texts in order to be totally ok. there will ALWAY be things I don't fully understand. but... looking at them from anothr prospective may clear one issue up and open up another questin ykwim?

I'm glad you found a path for you to god. I'm not insulting that at all! please, please understand. all I mean to say it that you're giving the impression that all these questions can be answered by switching religions...? (if not, please do clarify)

FWIW, I KNOW a lot of Christians have this arrogant attitude of "we know best and if you would come to our side you'd know best too" and I'm just not of that camp. it's arrogant, frankly. so I just wanted to clarify that's not what I am implying AT ALL. (just so there is no misunderstandings)
Bolding mine

I chuckled when I wrote about my path leading me right out of Christianity because it is funny to me. I had NO intention of leaving that faith. I really thought that I would end up returning to an early-church type faith. Guess that is my dry and witty sense of humour???

I posted because it was significant to me that my rabbi had just asked me that same day, why I was converting and I told him that it began with that--- my realizing that my church’s “interpretation” of that scripture didn’t jive with what I had studied and believed to be true.

Living as a Jew, I have no pressure to make anyone believe that this life is right for them. I was called to live a Jewish life and I don’t expect that it is for everyone . If someone does not believe that it is for them and doesn’t agree with it…. I would probably agree that it is not for them. It is just another thing I LOVE about the Jewish faith. I am WAY more tolerant and accepting than before. I don't believe that you (general you) have to believe what I believe.

If you feel that my thoughts make you seem “like an idiot”…. well that is your issue, not mine. My post does not say that or even imply it. I was just stating my opinion.

And for what it’s worth, I think that there were other commandments that we were not following---- but that is another topic for another thread .
#48 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you were talking to me. Nowhere here do I say “doesn’t make sense” or “don’t understand”. To me…it is very clear what G!d meant. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your G!d; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
Genesis 20:8-11.

When I lived as a christian I asked myself:

Is there anywhere in the scriptures where G!d changed it?

Did jesus follow the seventh-day Sabbath?

Did his disciples follow the seventh-day Sabbath?

Did his apostles (later followers) follow the seventh-day of rest?

Was the early church keeping the Sabbath?

They ALL followed it and nowhere could I find that it was biblically “changed”.

When I studied and I mean intensely studied (one of my degrees is in theology) and saw WHEN and WHY the sabbath was changed historically… I was TERRIFIED. Yeah, it completely freaked me out that we were doing something that was so clearly evident to me to be "wrong". I didn't believe that someone else could change the day and call it "holy" when He had already declared the 7th day as holy.

As I learned more I discovered that the seventh-day Sabbath was not a part of the law, it was pre-Abrahamic, pre-Moses AND was deemed to be a perpetual and everlasting covenant. It started at Creation.

So it definitely was not for me, one of those scriptures that needed to be interpreted and figured out. If G!d tells me to stand on my head at 8:34am every morning for 26 minutes… I will do it! I do not need to understand it or have it make sense. I would probably surmise within myself that soon scientists will come up with a study that doing it precisely at that time and for that long is perfect for optimum health .

Bolding mine

I chuckled when I wrote about my path leading me right out of Christianity because it is funny to me. I had NO intention of leaving that faith. I really thought that I would end up returning to an early-church type faith. Guess that is my dry and witty sense of humour???

I posted because it was significant to me that my rabbi had just asked me that same day, why I was converting and I told him that it began with that--- my realizing that my church’s “interpretation” of that scripture didn’t jive with what I had studied and believed to be true.

Living as a Jew, I have no pressure to make anyone believe that this life is right for them. I was called to live a Jewish life and I don’t expect that it is for everyone . If someone does not believe that it is for them and doesn’t agree with it…. I would probably agree that it is not for them. It is just another thing I LOVE about the Jewish faith. I am WAY more tolerant and accepting than before. I don't believe that you (general you) have to believe what I believe.

If you feel that my thoughts make you seem “like an idiot”…. well that is your issue, not mine. My post does not say that or even imply it. I was just stating my opinion.

And for what it’s worth, I think that there were other commandments that we were not following---- but that is another topic for another thread .
um who said i felt like an idiot? that's a bit of a stretch of a paraphrase...

clearly you missed the entire point of that post.

#49 of 54 Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Ummm... no.

Your post was very clear. By me stating my opinion, you wrote that it was a "criticism" to those that still held to other beliefs.

I am clearly saying that my thoughts in NO WAY reflect what others believe. They are exactly that... my thoughts.
#50 of 54 Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by this, because as far as I'm concerned, the Church has never changed the Sabbath. It is and always was Saturday. When and why do you say the day of the Sabbath was changed?
#51 of 54 Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 PM

I was raised in a Pentecostal church, visited non-denominational, Baptist, Catholic, Anglican etc. All believed that worship should happen on Sunday instead of Saturday because jesus rose on that day OR that it does not matter as long as you choose any day of rest. The only "christian" organization that I was familiar with that ever honoured the seventh-day sabbath was the Seventh-Day adventists.

In essence they did not rest on the Sabbath, refrain from work...
#52 of 54 Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I was raised in a Pentecostal church, visited non-denominational, Baptist, Catholic, Anglican etc. All believed that worship should happen on Sunday instead of Saturday because jesus rose on that day OR that it does not matter as long as you choose any day of rest.
Yes, Christians worship on Sunday, aka The Lord's Day, because it's the day Christ rose from the dead.

In the Orthodox Christian tradition (to which I belong), Great and Holy Saturday (the day before Pascha - Easter) - is called the Great Sabbath, because it's the day Christ rested in the tomb from all his work, echoing God's rest on the "first" Sabbath after creation.

A well-known Orthodox priest & writer in North America, Fr. Thomas Hopko, writes, in speaking about the services of Great and Holy Saturday:

"... there emerges the indication that this Sabbath this particular Saturday on which Christ lay dead -- is truly the most blessed seventh day that ever existed. This is the day when Christ rests from his work of recreating the world. This is the day when the Word of God "through whom all things were made" (Jn 1:3) rests as a dead man in the grave, saving the world of his own creation and opening the graves:

This is the most blessed Sabbath on which Christ has fallen asleep, but to rise on the third day (from a Holy Saturday hymn)."

http://www.oca.org/OCchapter.asp?SID=2&ID=75

Some Great & Holy Saturday hymns (from Holy Saturday Matins, for those of you who are Orthodox):

Thou hast sanctified this, the seventh day, which of old Thou didst bless by rest from work; for Thou dost bring all things into being and renew them, O my Savior, while resting and reviving on the Sabbath.

What is this sight we behold?
What is this present rest?
The King of the Ages keeps the Sabbath in the tomb;
Through His Passion He has fulfilled the plan of salvation,
granting us a new Sabbath rest.
To Him let us cry aloud:
Arise, O God, and judge the earth,
for Thou dost reign forever,
and beyond measure is Thy great mercy.

The great Moses mystically foreshadowed this day, when he said:
God blessed the seventh day.
This is the Blessed Sabbath,
this is the day of rest,
on which the Only-Begotten Son of God rested from all His works.
By suffering death to fulfill the plan of salvation,
He kept the Sabbath in the flesh;
by returning again to what He was,
He has granted us eternal life through His resurrection,
for He alone is good, and the Lover of man.

Note: In the Orthodox Church, hymns just aren't songs dropped into worship. They are essential texts and carry our theology. The liturgical texts are as much a part of our tradition, as the Bible is (although, of course, the Bible is more important, but you can't have one without the other).

Some Church Fathers also speak of the Eighth Day - the day of Christ's Resurrection - being the first day of the new creation.

There's a bookstore in Wichita, KS, called Eighth Day Books (the owners are Orthodox), and I got the following quotes off their website:

http://www.eighthdaybooks.com/about_us.html

"The number eight was, for ancient Christianity, the symbol of the Resurrection, for it was on the day after the Sabbath, and so the eighth day, that Christ rose from the tomb. Furthermore, the seven days of the week are the image of the time of this world, and the eighth day of life everlasting. Sunday is the liturgical commemoration of the eighth day, at the same time a memorial of the Resurrection and a prophecy of the world to come …"
-J. Danielou, The Bible and the Liturgy

" … an eighth and eternal day, consecrated by the Resurrection of Christ … There we shall rest and see, see and love, love and praise."
-St. Augustine, City of God, Book 22, Chapter 30

lady.gif
#53 of 54 Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 AM

Ok so here is my little brain about to chime in and hopefully not look like an dummy .. i am still a young babe in Christ

The old testamant covenant was fulfilled by the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus our wonderful savior.

Matthew 5: 17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

John 1:17 "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ"

Hebrew 10:9-10 "Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

Colossians 2:14 "Blotting out the handwriting of oridnances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross".

Hebrews 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting convenant."

Jesus reconciles man with God and has been the only sacrifice able to do so because he was perfect. The New Testament is Jesus' teachings to follow and the Old Testament is valuable as well. In it we learn of Israel's mistakes and of God's punishment for them. We hopefully learn from their mistakes and also see how Jesus' life was foretold.

In our church we don't do any business on Sunday. We go to church and fellowship. No talk about money, business etc. Now I work on Sundays every other weekend as I am a nurse. But Jesus himself said it was ok to do good things on Sunday so my line of work is necessary. I take care of sick people but if i was a regular businessman it wouldn't be necessary.

Hopefully it makes sense...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#54 of 54 Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 AM

Oh and to just add something basically food for thought...

On the Sabbath Day while Jesus was lying in his tomb, his disciples and family mourning, the devil and the people who sent him to death were rejoicing. Doesn't really seem a fitting day to worship him. Actually kinda depressing for the Church.

But on the first day when he rose and truimphed over death and the devil, his family and disciples were happy, angels rejoiced, the salvation of the world was secured. It was such a wonderful day.

Doesn't that seem a more fitting day for Christians to worship?

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page