"Well that's absurd!" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
was the reply by my MIL ( a born-again Christian) when I shared with her that several of my Muslim students gave me holiday cards before we went on break. She even asked me if I threw them away! I told her that she was offending me deeply, that Eid is a Muslim holiday at this time, that Chanukah is a Jewish holiday at this time, and that there are many other holidays celebrated at this time by many other faiths besides Christians. And I'm not even Christian, which she knows.

I thought her reaction was bizarre and I just wanted to share it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, that's absurd! Odd woman. Christians don't have a monopoly on December.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Exactly.

Sadly, I know a lot of people just like your MIL.

Good on your for telling her, though, because I truly believe one day it will worm itself into her heart and understanding. Call me a dreamer...

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
As a Christian I agree with you!

NO WHERE does it say that we are the only ones that count during the "Holiday Season"

Your MIL would do well to learn more about the placement of "her" holiday... According to studies, there is evidence that Mary and Joseph couldn't have traveled during December because it would have been too cold! Many of the Christian holidays were placed to make the switch from one religion to another easier. Christmas was placed around this time of year to replace a Druid holiday (hello, a tree! What does a TREE have to do with Jesus?) Easter was placed over a fertility celebration (rabbits and eggs?)

Just blow it off.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 12-24-2008, 01:28 AM

Lol. I'm a conservative evang. Christian and I think she's being a bit silly.

I *will* say Merry Christmas and have "Christmas" and "Jesus" on the cards I send out. But it wouldn't bother me at all to recieve a Channuka card or have a Muslim with me Happy Holidays. Their holidays are important to them and I have no problem with the free and joyous expression of religion. :
Old 12-24-2008, 02:02 AM

I think it's very sweet of your Muslim students to think of you like that. Regarding your MIL's reaction, I (also a born again Christian) I also find it bizarre. No matter how silly it is, there are some out there who find any reference to other faith's holidays personally offensive if it occurs during "their" holiday time. Doesn't make much sense, but yet people still do it.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 12-24-2008, 02:29 AM

oh my goodness! people just floor me! *sigh*

my mother (who I love dearly) wa upset b/c people in her area don't say "merry christmas" but "happy holidays" now. as if that were an insult to her. when I pointed out that it was b/c they had no way of knowing if you were christians, jew, muslim etc... and they were just being polite, she looked completely confused. I don't think she even realized that other religions have winter celebrations too. (she lives in a VERY multicultural area)

I know she didn't mean anything bad by it... she's just... um... a tad niave I suppose.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 12-24-2008, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh goodness that's terrible and naive! What on earth does "throwing them away" accomplish?

I'm a Christian who *shock* doesn't believe that Christmas is Christ's birthday and don't celebrate it as such (after all there is NO reference in the Bible to "Christmas" and there is no authority to celebrate it in a religious way in the Bible). Yet I keep Christmas cards. Even religious ones, at least for a while. As I would any other card sent for any holiday.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 AM

When DH taught in a NYC public high school, he got cards from kids every year. They were invariably religious cards with maybe some words crossed out (like, "may the birth of the christ child bring you etc." and the like ) and a handwritten note from the kids.

Since DH is very obviously Jewish (he wears an enormous yarmulke and tzitzis/ritual fringes out, very full/long beard, etc.), it was very considerate of the kids to (usually) cross out any blatantly Christian/other-religion's printing on the card and to try to write something either ecumenical or nonreligiously-specific.

They weren't all from Christians. He taught at an enormous school, with many Hindus, Muslims, Ba'hais, Buddhists ... a very mindblowingly diverse school.

He was always very moved by it, and saved them all. Brought them with us when we moved overseas, too.

Her reaction is sad. Don't let it get to you. Respond with explanations and smiles. It'll get you further than anger. Less indigestion, too.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM

The placing of Christmas near the winter solstice was chosen to co-incide with the birth of Mithras/sol invictus, who was Constintine's "main God" before his conversion. The Gemanic/ celtic traditions, ie.the tree, holly, Father Christmas, came later because those peoples celebrated at the Solstice too.
Of course, that shouldn't effect the spiritual truth for believers, it just goes to show that other people celebrated it BEFORE Christians.

I really don't understand the comment "that's absurd". Did she not believe you?

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
When DH taught in a NYC public high school, he got cards from kids every year. They were invariably religious cards with maybe some words crossed out (like, "may the birth of the christ child bring you etc." and the like ) and a handwritten note from the kids.

Since DH is very obviously Jewish (he wears an enormous yarmulke and tzitzis/ritual fringes out, very full/long beard, etc.), it was very considerate of the kids to (usually) cross out any blatantly Christian/other-religion's printing on the card and to try to write something either ecumenical or nonreligiously-specific.
He was always very moved by it, and saved them all. Brought them with us when we moved overseas, too.
aww that's so sweet that he saved them! that totally made me smile. it's so kind when people can overlook the gift and see the thought

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

User Tag List