convicted? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep seeing this word convicted being used here as a spiritual term. IE I'm being convicted, or I'm convicted. Can someone please explain to mean what this means? I've never heard the term convicted used as a spiritual term.
#2 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 PM

When I was involved with an evangelical church/group, the term was used to mean that God basically let you know that a particular path was either the way to go or not the way to go. For instance, someone could be praying about whether they should adopt a child. And, maybe that weekend at service, the pastor spoke on how we are all adopted children of God's. And then, maybe while listening to the local Contemporary Christian station, there was a commercial for a local Christian adoption agency. And then, to top it off, their dh came home that evening and told the story about how a co-worker was beginning adoption proceedings. That person would feel that they were being convicted by the Lord in terms of adoption being the correct path to pursue.

(I don't pretend to speak of all users of the word in a Christian sense. But, in my experience over the course of many years, that was how it was used, and how I still hear it used when I am around evangelicals. I also don't pretend to know if it were strictly an evangelical term, but since that is the only Christian circle in which I have associated, I do not know of whether the term is used outside evangelical groups.)

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks, in the contexts I've heard it used your explination makes sense.
#4 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM

as far as Christainity:

it can mean what the PP said... or more. It can also mean for instance that you realized a law/rule/command of God and that you haven't been fulfilling it, so you heart is convicted ot do so. IE: you feel a strong sense of needing to fulfill said command/law/rule or ideal in your heart and mind and perhaps spirit. Much like one would feel a sense of guilt ot wrongness after stealing candy from a drugstore or lying to a boss or teacher and when contemplating why realizing it wasn't the right thing to do.

so in other words it can be a personal feeling about something personal (ie which "path" to take) or a realization of a command on a greater level of christianity or even humanity.

I admit is can be confusing and used as "church lingo". I have heard some use it differently - more as a way of saying I didn't know what to do so I felt most convicted this way. which truly isn't a conviction, but a guess as to which way is best logically or perhaps even financially! etc...

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#5 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, you mean like conviction. Convicted just sounds odd to me, having never heard it used in this manner.
#6 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep: convicted, conviction. One of those funny 'church-ese' words. As in "I wasn't convicted about baptism until a few years after I was converted, when it came up at youth camp". People sometimes talk about "coming under the conviction of the Holy Spirit" too, or even "being brought under conviction by the Holy Spirit".

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 PM

Having not seen it too much, I've just been assuming it was an error where the writer meant to say "convinced." I learn something new here every day.
#8 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I asked because the first couple times I saw it I thought it was a typo too.
#9 of 11 Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#10 of 11 Old 01-16-2009, 01:12 AM

Thanks for asking this, Ard. I was wondering too but all my google searches turned up the results of criminal trials Fr. Mark Mary actually used it today on Life on the Rock which is the first time I've heard it used by a Catholic.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#11 of 11 Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
as far as Christainity:

it can mean what the PP said... or more. It can also mean for instance that you realized a law/rule/command of God and that you haven't been fulfilling it, so you heart is convicted ot do so. IE: you feel a strong sense of needing to fulfill said command/law/rule or ideal in your heart and mind and perhaps spirit. Much like one would feel a sense of guilt ot wrongness after stealing candy from a drugstore or lying to a boss or teacher and when contemplating why realizing it wasn't the right thing to do.

so in other words it can be a personal feeling about something personal (ie which "path" to take) or a realization of a command on a greater level of christianity or even humanity.

I admit is can be confusing and used as "church lingo". I have heard some use it differently - more as a way of saying I didn't know what to do so I felt most convicted this way. which truly isn't a conviction, but a guess as to which way is best logically or perhaps even financially! etc...

:

It took me the longest time to figure it out...then i became convicted re: headcovering and modesty and all of a sudden it made perfect sense. I had never heard it while i was a catholic.

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page