Infant Baptism...your views? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 01-31-2009, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
I totally understand what you are saying, although remember that baptism is one of the 7 sacraments. Baptism is also an incorporation into Christ and the Church.

I believe that an infant welcoming ceremony can accomplish the same incorporation effect.

Also, I take my cues from the fact that everyone in the Bible chose to be baptized as a free-thinking adult. And TBH (maybe this is unpopular) I don't think my Jesus is going to give one bit of a crap if someone dies before baptism if they truly believe in Him and are a good person.

babyf.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 AM

:

Thanks for posting this topic.
#63 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
I believe that an infant welcoming ceremony can accomplish the same incorporation effect.

Also, I take my cues from the fact that everyone in the Bible chose to be baptized as a free-thinking adult. And TBH (maybe this is unpopular) I don't think my Jesus is going to give one bit of a crap if someone dies before baptism if they truly believe in Him and are a good person.
I think anybody can do whatever ceremony according to their religion, since I am Catholic, we baptize Is something more than spiritual for our family and it's meaning is very important to us.

DahliaRW I think a lot of people baptize at different ages in the Catholic church. I've seen from a few days old babies to 5, 6 even 7 years old. I guess that's the way it happens Like I mentioned before, all my kids have been baptized at totally different ages but just because it happened that way. My family is very open minded when it comes to religion, I am very spiritual but not strictly religious. I am very active in my church but I don't attend the mass every Sunday, kwim?

I have to tell freaky story... When I was baby, my mother told me she was doing some house chores while I was in my crib. By that time, I didn't know how to crawl yet not even stand up. When she came back to check up on me I was UNDER the crib without crying without any injury, I have no idea (no one does) how I got there. She was TERRIFIED and made arrangements to get me baptized asap. Until the date, my mom or no one can't explain what happened in that room. No one was in that house at the time, my dad was working and my sister was at school. Because of this, Baptism is more than a sacrament for me but also a blessing to keep my children save from evil.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#64 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 03:24 AM

oops and I never really answer Dahlia's first question. I think all babies regardless their families religion, if they die baptized or not, they will go to heaven. All babies and children (in my view) are little innocent angels.

#65 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The second, I once read (I tried to find the source, but couldn't) that baptizing an infant is the ultimate expression of believing that we are saved by grace. And that as parents and godparents, we accept God's forgiveness on behalf of our babies, until they are old enough to understand. I don't believe a person needs to be a certain age, or have a certain maturity or mindset or wisdom to be saved.
Does that mean you believe all children of Christians are saved? Or are you a universalist?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#66 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
You mean infant baptism right? Because the LDS church does baptize.
Oh yes, of course. I meant infants. Isn't the baptismal age 8? I know my daughter's friend who is LDS was looking forward to it, and her father was going to perform the baptism for her.
#67 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Oh yes, of course. I meant infants. Isn't the baptismal age 8? I know my daughter's friend who is LDS was looking forward to it, and her father was going to perform the baptism for her.
Yup.

Sorry I was just a little confused by your post.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#68 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
I think anybody can do whatever ceremony according to their religion, since I am Catholic, we baptize Is something more than spiritual for our family and it's meaning is very important to us.
The OP asked what *I, personally* believed, so I answered that question.

babyf.gif

#69 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
If you believe in infant baptism, what do you believe happens to the baby if he/she dies before being baptized? And if it's so important to be, why wait, why not do it at birth?
We do not believe that babies are born with a condemning stain of sin. However we believe that life is an uphill struggle from there. We also believe the journey to salvation should begin as soon as possible as this is a benefit to the person.

So really there is no heaven or hell rush for us (which is why our babies are baptized at a more leisurely pace) but at the same time as good parents we want the best for our children and the best life begins with a life in Christ. Why withhold blessings? why wait?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#70 of 72 Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
We do not believe that babies are born with a condemning stain of sin. However we believe that life is an uphill struggle from there. We also believe the journey to salvation should begin as soon as possible as this is a benefit to the person.

So really there is no heaven or hell rush for us (which is why our babies are baptized at a more leisurely pace) but at the same time as good parents we want the best for our children and the best life begins with a life in Christ. Why withhold blessings? why wait?

A bit of a clarification: the Orthodox don't believe in original sin, in the sense that it's passed down from Adam & Eve. We *do* believe that what we inherited from Adam & Eve was mortality - death. We're responsible for our own sins, not the "sins of the fathers." Our babies have full inclusion in the Body of Christ - baptism, chrismation (anointing with holy oil), and the Eucharist - at once. As Lilyka said, it's a blessing and why withhold?

Most Orthodox folks I know baptize their babies within 3-4 months of birth. For those who do it a bit later, it often has something with out-of-town godparents/grandparents being able to travel to the baptism, the baby's family moving, etc.

I grew up Catholic and was baptized at three weeks old (this was 1969).

lady.gif
#71 of 72 Old 02-02-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
The OP asked what *I, personally* believed, so I answered that question.
oh that's okay! I was agreeing with you and joining the conversation!

#72 of 72 Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for clarifying that. I was trying to avoid the whole original sin thing since everyone has such a different understanding of that.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page