How often do you receive communion? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What was once referred to as "Last Rites" IS the Sacrament/Anointing of the Sick. They aren't two separate sacraments.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
What was once referred to as "Last Rites" IS the Sacrament/Anointing of the Sick. They aren't two separate sacraments.

Actually, what was referred to as "Last Rites" was three sacraments administered together: The Anointing of the Sick, final Confession, and final Eucharist. It is this reception of the Eucharist at the time of death that is called the viaticum. Before Vatican II, the Anointing of the Sick was given only to those who were in immediate danger of death. Now the Church gives the Anointing to those who are critically ill, but may not necessarily die from their illness. Therefore, it is possible to receive the Anointing more than once in a person's life. For example, if the person's condition worsens, he/she may receive the Anointing again. Or if the person recovers but later becomes critically ill once again, the Anointing can be given again. Because viaticum specifically refers to one's final communion given at the time of death, a person can only receive it once (because if you survive, it wasn't the viaticum).

My father has received the Anointing of the Sick accompanied by Confession and the Eucharist three times. But (thankfully) he has not yet received the viaticum.

The viaticum is the sacrament of the Eucharist, just as First Holy Communion is the sacrament of the Eucharist. Both terms refer to the reception of this sacrament at a particular point in your life.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

Old 02-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollybrat View Post
Now the Church gives the Anointing to those who are critically ill, but may not necessarily die from their illness. Therefore, it is possible to receive the Anointing more than once in a person's life. For example, if the person's condition worsens, he/she may receive the Anointing again. Or if the person recovers but later becomes critically ill once again, the Anointing can be given again. Because viaticum specifically refers to one's final communion given at the time of death, a person can only receive it once (because if you survive, it wasn't the viaticum).
Totally agreed. I think I was just trying to clarify that "Last Rites" as a Sacrament is an outdated term, and that the Sacraments are separate; and that "food for the journey" does not pertain to our weekly journey (post-Eucharist), only to our final journey.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
Totally agreed. I think I was just trying to clarify that "Last Rites" as a Sacrament is an outdated term, and that the Sacraments are separate; and that "food for the journey" does not pertain to our weekly journey (post-Eucharist), only to our final journey.
I guess we will just disagree on that last part. As I said, Pope John Paul II did say that the Eucharist is food for our journey through this life as well and I am content to accept his teaching on that.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm ELCA Lutheran and we have communion at both services every week. That does vary by church, but there's no reason NOT to do it.

In our church, you do not have to be a member, but you do have to believe. I really like that stance. Individuals can decide, and no one decides for you.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollybrat View Post
I guess we will just disagree on that last part. As I said, Pope John Paul II did say that the Eucharist is food for our journey through this life as well and I am content to accept his teaching on that.
Perhaps our weekly journey is our final journey?

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.

User Tag List