Lets talk about hell. - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 157 Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think it's the same as natural disasters, etc..All people, religious or not, understand that we are only here for a finite period. So, our lives have to end somehow, from accident, violence or disease. For the Christian, though, our life here is just basically a test which will determine where we spend eternity. So, a person who dies in a storm isn't really any worse off than a person who dies from an illness...you could argue that a person who dies as a young adult may have less time to, say, repent and come to Jesus, than a person who dies of an age related illness, but on the other hand a younger person may have less sin and less doubt.
A person who is born with a mental illness that causes them to commit crimes doesn't have a chance in the typical Christian heaven/hell afterlife scenario, however, as in the case of a sociopathic killer. I can see why this is a difficult thing to understand.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#152 of 157 Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post
I don't think it's the same as natural disasters, etc..All people, religious or not, understand that we are only here for a finite period. So, our lives have to end somehow, from accident, violence or disease. For the Christian, though, our life here is just basically a test which will determine where we spend eternity. So, a person who dies in a storm isn't really any worse off than a person who dies from an illness...you could argue that a person who dies as a young adult may have less time to, say, repent and come to Jesus, than a person who dies of an age related illness, but on the other hand a younger person may have less sin and less doubt.
A person who is born with a mental illness that causes them to commit crimes doesn't have a chance in the typical Christian heaven/hell afterlife scenario, however, as in the case of a sociopathic killer. I can see why this is a difficult thing to understand.
But all are part of the problem of suffering, and in a natural disaster scenario, it creates immediate and long term suffering that comes through no fault of any person.

I'm not convinced that those who are mentally ill or damaged somehow, and therefore commit immoral acts, do miss out on Heaven, so that's really not an issue for me.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#153 of 157 Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 PM

I'm Jewish. Not all Jews believe in hell. There is the concept of sheol, which is more similar to the Greek underworld than the Christian hell.

two amazing sons & .
#154 of 157 Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
I'm Jewish. Not all Jews believe in hell. There is the concept of sheol, which is more similar to the Greek underworld than the Christian hell.
this is what we learned in my 9th grade theology class in Catholic school. i have always wondered whether it was true or not.
#155 of 157 Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
this is what we learned in my 9th grade theology class in Catholic school. i have always wondered whether it was true or not.
Yes, but it isn't something that is necessarily taught. A lot of things that Christians adhere to about God (Heaven, Hell, etc) are up for interpretation in the Jewish community.

two amazing sons & .
#156 of 157 Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
Yes, but it isn't something that is necessarily taught. A lot of things that Christians adhere to about God (Heaven, Hell, etc) are up for interpretation in the Jewish community.
this is probably the biggest thing i have learned by reading this bored. well.. this and and how (rightfully) offended many people are by common misconceptions and judgements about their religion.
#157 of 157 Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
this is probably the biggest thing i have learned by reading this bored. well.. this and and how (rightfully) offended many people are by common misconceptions and judgements about their religion.
That mostly everything is up for interpretation?

two amazing sons & .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page