Lets talk about hell. - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM
 
athansor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: learning to prevent geoboobs
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think it's the same as natural disasters, etc..All people, religious or not, understand that we are only here for a finite period. So, our lives have to end somehow, from accident, violence or disease. For the Christian, though, our life here is just basically a test which will determine where we spend eternity. So, a person who dies in a storm isn't really any worse off than a person who dies from an illness...you could argue that a person who dies as a young adult may have less time to, say, repent and come to Jesus, than a person who dies of an age related illness, but on the other hand a younger person may have less sin and less doubt.
A person who is born with a mental illness that causes them to commit crimes doesn't have a chance in the typical Christian heaven/hell afterlife scenario, however, as in the case of a sociopathic killer. I can see why this is a difficult thing to understand.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
athansor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM
 
Bluegoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post
I don't think it's the same as natural disasters, etc..All people, religious or not, understand that we are only here for a finite period. So, our lives have to end somehow, from accident, violence or disease. For the Christian, though, our life here is just basically a test which will determine where we spend eternity. So, a person who dies in a storm isn't really any worse off than a person who dies from an illness...you could argue that a person who dies as a young adult may have less time to, say, repent and come to Jesus, than a person who dies of an age related illness, but on the other hand a younger person may have less sin and less doubt.
A person who is born with a mental illness that causes them to commit crimes doesn't have a chance in the typical Christian heaven/hell afterlife scenario, however, as in the case of a sociopathic killer. I can see why this is a difficult thing to understand.
But all are part of the problem of suffering, and in a natural disaster scenario, it creates immediate and long term suffering that comes through no fault of any person.

I'm not convinced that those who are mentally ill or damaged somehow, and therefore commit immoral acts, do miss out on Heaven, so that's really not an issue for me.

 I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Bluegoat is offline  
Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 PM
 
benj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: arizona
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm Jewish. Not all Jews believe in hell. There is the concept of sheol, which is more similar to the Greek underworld than the Christian hell.

two amazing sons & .
benj is offline  
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 PM
 
1littlebit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
I'm Jewish. Not all Jews believe in hell. There is the concept of sheol, which is more similar to the Greek underworld than the Christian hell.
this is what we learned in my 9th grade theology class in Catholic school. i have always wondered whether it was true or not.
1littlebit is offline  
Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 PM
 
benj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: arizona
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
this is what we learned in my 9th grade theology class in Catholic school. i have always wondered whether it was true or not.
Yes, but it isn't something that is necessarily taught. A lot of things that Christians adhere to about God (Heaven, Hell, etc) are up for interpretation in the Jewish community.

two amazing sons & .
benj is offline  
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM
 
1littlebit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
Yes, but it isn't something that is necessarily taught. A lot of things that Christians adhere to about God (Heaven, Hell, etc) are up for interpretation in the Jewish community.
this is probably the biggest thing i have learned by reading this bored. well.. this and and how (rightfully) offended many people are by common misconceptions and judgements about their religion.
1littlebit is offline  
Old 07-05-2009, 11:36 PM
 
benj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: arizona
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
this is probably the biggest thing i have learned by reading this bored. well.. this and and how (rightfully) offended many people are by common misconceptions and judgements about their religion.
That mostly everything is up for interpretation?

two amazing sons & .
benj is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off