Catholic baptism w/o godparents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can that be done? Dh and I converted in 2005, went faithfully about 2 years then lapsed. We have started to go again. Our children (7, 5, and 3) are not baptised. The main reason being we do not know anyone who could serve as godparents. We want oldest dd to go through first communion next year and she needs to be baptised.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#2 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Can that be done? Dh and I converted in 2005, went faithfully about 2 years then lapsed. We have started to go again. Our children (7, 5, and 3) are not baptised. The main reason being we do not know anyone who could serve as godparents. We want oldest dd to go through first communion next year and she needs to be baptised.
Hmmm...interesting question. I'm Orthodox, and if you don't know anyone appropriate for godparents, you ask your priest and he'll usually come up with someone already in the parish. But our parishes are generally much smaller. Talk with your priest or the coodinator of the baptism class for parents, and see what they suggest. You might be able to do with one couple for all three kids.

lady.gif
#3 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Ask at your Church if there is a "Parish sponsor" who would be willing to serve as God parent...

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#4 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I was afraid of that. The parish is quite small, and we just started attending it. Dh has some Catholics in his family who live elsewhere but I don't know how active they are and if they would be willing. Otherwise, we are alone in a heavy protestant area.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#5 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 AM

Having your child baptized is more important than really knowing the godparents, IMO. I am in your situation, I am converting this Easter Vigil and both my children will be baptized when I am confirmed. I do have two family members by marriage who will serve as a godparent for each, however, if I did not have them available (and they are the only two Catholics in my entire extended network of family and friends) I would have had a parish member or even an online Catholic friend serve in that role.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#6 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 AM

As I recall, godparents are required, but only one has to be Catholic.

-Angela
#7 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 AM

I would just ask your priest to recommend someone. honestly when my kids were baptised I didn't know anyone very well and was surprised that people were actually offering. and here I thought no one would want to be our godparents. it was very sweet. but i think that is more common in the orthodox church, to have people you may not know so well be your godparents

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
If this is true, I don't get it. What's the point of having a godparent who isn't Catholic and thus can't help raise the child in the faith, which is the real role of a godparent? If you're not that faith, you can't help raise the child in it, since you don't know it yourself.

lady.gif
#9 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
When I had dd2 baptized, one of her godmothers was Catholic and the other was not. Yes, two godmothers.

I guess it makes sense if you're choosing a couple to be the godparents and only one of them is Catholic. Like if I wanted my best friend and her dh. She's Catholic and he isn't.
#10 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 11:51 AM

Technically, you are allowed non-Catholic "godparents" - they're called Christian Witnesses or Christian Sponsors.

It really depends on the parish and the pastor, though. I'd speak directly with the pastor, explain your dilemma, and see what is suggested.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#11 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 PM

I would rather have someonemy priest recommends as a good canidate than someone who didn't share my faith. i don't really see the point of having godparents outside the church. unless of course as a previous poster mentioned it is a married couple where one of them shares your faith and the other doesn't. then again we only need one godparent.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
I would rather have someonemy priest recommends as a good canidate than someone who didn't share my faith. i don't really see the point of having godparents outside the church. unless of course as a previous poster mentioned it is a married couple where one of them shares your faith and the other doesn't. then again we only need one godparent.
Or sometimes it's a family member who is otherwise close, despite religious differences.

-Angela
#13 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 PM

but what difference does family make when it comes to baptism? but maybe there is just a different expectation of godparents. I don't really see the point of having one at all if they are not of the same faith.

#14 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
If this is true, I don't get it. What's the point of having a godparent who isn't Catholic and thus can't help raise the child in the faith, which is the real role of a godparent? If you're not that faith, you can't help raise the child in it, since you don't know it yourself.
My nephew is my God child. At the time I was Catholic and my husband Southern Baptist. Now I am Agnostic and my husband Atheist.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#15 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 PM

My brother could only be a sponsor, not a godparent. He's catholic, but his wife isnot and they were not married in the catholic church. My sisters, all unmarried, are able to be godparents. Weird, I know. Technically- you only need 1 godparent.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page