Having a Pagan Wedding While Not Offending Those of Other Religions...? (Please Come In If You're Christian!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need HELP!!! I'm getting married in June and I haven't even really begun planning

Here's the issue: I want to have a pagan themed wedding without it being too overboard (please no offense). I am a witch, dh isn't exactly, but doesn't really subscribe to anything else. I have extremely Christian family members. My sister and my best friend are Christian, and still love me just the way I am. I could have the witchiest wedding and they wouldn't care I have family members that I'm not extremely close to from my mother's side who would be very offended if they weren't invited and they are very Christian. Yes I know this is stupid, and that I should have the wedding I want and especially not change it for someone who I'm not even that close to. I've also thought about the fact that there aren't really any pagans in my life other than a handful. I want it to not be akward, you know?

So, how can I incorporate my spirituality without having it be too much? I don't just want your basic wedding ceremony when it doesn't represent who I am (even who dh is really- he's more pagan than he would like to admit).

And if you're Christian- I'd love to know how you'd feel. Thanks!

#2 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 PM

I'm not a pagan, but almost every wedding I have attended has been for a faith other than my own. Even if I found some of those weddings strange, even technically at odds with my own beliefs, its not my right to be offended because its not my wedding.

The only thing I might have been upset about would be taking place in a particular ritual that went against my beliefs. Every wedding I have attended has been very good about telling people they were welcome to sit out of certain things. So at the many Catholic weddings I've attended I don't kneel and I don't take communion, I just sit quietly and observe while others participate in religious rites that don't apply to me.

My own grandmother asked why anyone would come to my wedding since there wasn't a mass. Well, not only was there no mass, it was a completely atheist wedding. She complained ahead of time, but the day of the wedding she partied with everyone else. I know she had a good time and didn't regret attending.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#3 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Congrats!

I've never been to a pagan wedding. What makes it different from a more typical one? I think as long as you gather for a ceremony and you feed people afterwards, how could it go wrong?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

I love you Apricot
#5 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 PM

Hmmmm... DH and I eloped and "solved" the wedding religion problem, but I've been to a few blended pagan/christian ceremonies.

One bride had family/friends do readings that invoked the elements (the people stood in the appropriate compass directions and read their poems/passages to "create a circle of love and friendship to surround our ceremony" according to the little wedding card that was placed on each seat). Another invoked the directions using archangel images (some pagan traditions assign the four main archangels to the different watchtowers). One jumped a broom on the way down the aisle at the end, another had a "unity candle" where every member of the wedding party made a wish for the couple and then added their own flame to the central candle... and another did something similar by asking everyone to tie a wish into a ribbon (write the wish on a ribbon, tie the ribbon to the broom handle.... the ribbons were on the tables at the dinner). Those are things that could be significant within a pagan context but not "too out there" from a christian context. Oh, and at one ceremony the bride and groom exchanged sips of water from a really gorgeous chalice and bites of bread ("may you never hunger, may you never thirst") instead of the more traditional vows... if you phrase it within the contest of "writing your own vows" it may feel more familiar to everyone while being meaningful to you and your partner.

There are some bible passages that might suit a pagan ceremony... Song of Solomon or something like that if you feel like having a biblical element/reading/reference would be helpful. Or you could borrow passages from a variety of mystics or christian philosophers (Thomas Merton maybe) or music from a more mystic christian background like the chants of Hildegard of Bingen (one version here). Or perhaps a prayer or poem from a period/location where an existing pagan culture was adapting to christian ways would work (for example, Wisdom of Serpent, Power of Raven by Noragh Jones is a fantastic collection of pagan/christian folk traditions from the British Isles and it includes wedding traditions as well as infant blessing ceremonies).

I think that one important thing would be to let family members know ahead of time that you wont be having a "traditional X-religion wedding". I mean, they probably have a mental image of what a wedding "is" and no matter what you do, it's unlikely that your ceremony will match that mental image unless you go whole heartedly through the standard wedding ceremony of religion x (which may not even be an option since a minister may have reasonable reservations about your commitment to that faith!)

Anyway, good luck and congrats on the wedding! :

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#6 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Maybe you can put a little flyer in your invites, that explains what being a Pagan is all about. That way your guests will be informed, and won't be uncomfortable. When I was 17, I went to my first Catholic wedding and was totally unprepared, I wish I had been informed. Best wishes on your happy day!
#7 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
honestly, I probably wouldn't go. I don't really make a habit of attending the sacred ceremonies of other religons. however, I would come to your reception to celebrate your marriage. Will there be seperate events for the cermony and a celebration or will the two be intermingled? Does your family know you are pagan? Would you be offended if they chose not to come? maybe you cold just send out a really obvious invitation. AMke it clear you wil celebrating this day in your religoius tradition. you didn't want to leave them out and of course you would love it if they came to celebrate with them but that you would not be offended if they chose not to attend because you want to honor their religous beliefs. Do you think something like that would work?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 PM

I guess I think this is a non-issue. Would your family refuse to go to a Jewish friend's wedding ceremony? To me, a wedding ceremony is a joyous occasion and the faith of the couple being married is not - or shouldn't be - relevant to the guests, who are there to support the couple, not to endorse or participate in their religion.

(Or, going by the pp, maybe I'm wrong. lilyka, would you not go to a friend's Jewish wedding - or Muslim or whathaveyou?).
#9 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Dani View Post
I love you Apricot
I love you, too, Dani!! :

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#10 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I guess I think this is a non-issue. Would your family refuse to go to a Jewish friend's wedding ceremony? To me, a wedding ceremony is a joyous occasion and the faith of the couple being married is not - or shouldn't be - relevant to the guests, who are there to support the couple, not to endorse or participate in their religion.

(Or, going by the pp, maybe I'm wrong. lilyka, would you not go to a friend's Jewish wedding - or Muslim or whathaveyou?).

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I was invited to a wedding for a Jewish couple I would expect a Jewish wedding. I wouldn't expect them to cater to Christian friends or family. Same thing goes for any other religion. I just can't imagine being offended at someone else getting married in a manner that's spiritually significant to them. I might feel a little confused but I'd actually welcome the opportunity to explore traditions of another faith. BTW - I'm LDS.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#11 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Well said!

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#12 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM

DH and I had a handfasting. I'm Wiccan, DH is his own special brand of Paganism. My family wasn't invited and his whole family is Christian. Our ceremony didn't mention the Deities or the God and Goddess or anything, but our minister did invoke the elements. We got so many comments afterwards, not about the fact that the ceremony wasn't Christian, but about how wonderful our vows were. Our vows were realistic and we didn't make any false overblown promises. I loved it.

It was very relaxed and laid-back. It took place in a gazebo in a national forest with DH's family gathered around us. DS stood as our best man. It was wonderful. Maybe it would have been different if they had been expecting a Christian ceremony, but everybody already knew I wasn't a Christian and they kinda figured about DH.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#13 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 PM

If you want specific help with creating a hand-fasting that is sort of on the subtle side, I could totally help. I have tons and tons of files and ideas from when we were working on ours. PM me if you want to bounce ideas back and forth.

One idea from the top of my head is that you might want to include the Song of the Sun by St. Francis (perhaps with certain lines slightly modified) as a sort of interfaith gesture. (Of course, I guess that could technically offend some non-Catholic Christians too. But, I guess you can take offense at whatever if you're so inclined.) It's a lovely prayer and we're having it as an opening at our hand-fasting.
#14 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Hmmmm... DH and I eloped and "solved" the wedding religion problem, but I've been to a few blended pagan/christian ceremonies.

One bride had family/friends do readings that invoked the elements (the people stood in the appropriate compass directions and read their poems/passages to "create a circle of love and friendship to surround our ceremony" according to the little wedding card that was placed on each seat). Another invoked the directions using archangel images (some pagan traditions assign the four main archangels to the different watchtowers). One jumped a broom on the way down the aisle at the end, another had a "unity candle" where every member of the wedding party made a wish for the couple and then added their own flame to the central candle... and another did something similar by asking everyone to tie a wish into a ribbon (write the wish on a ribbon, tie the ribbon to the broom handle.... the ribbons were on the tables at the dinner). Those are things that could be significant within a pagan context but not "too out there" from a christian context. Oh, and at one ceremony the bride and groom exchanged sips of water from a really gorgeous chalice and bites of bread ("may you never hunger, may you never thirst") instead of the more traditional vows... if you phrase it within the contest of "writing your own vows" it may feel more familiar to everyone while being meaningful to you and your partner.

There are some bible passages that might suit a pagan ceremony... Song of Solomon or something like that if you feel like having a biblical element/reading/reference would be helpful. Or you could borrow passages from a variety of mystics or christian philosophers (Thomas Merton maybe) or music from a more mystic christian background like the chants of Hildegard of Bingen (one version here). Or perhaps a prayer or poem from a period/location where an existing pagan culture was adapting to christian ways would work (for example, Wisdom of Serpent, Power of Raven by Noragh Jones is a fantastic collection of pagan/christian folk traditions from the British Isles and it includes wedding traditions as well as infant blessing ceremonies).

I think that one important thing would be to let family members know ahead of time that you wont be having a "traditional X-religion wedding". I mean, they probably have a mental image of what a wedding "is" and no matter what you do, it's unlikely that your ceremony will match that mental image unless you go whole heartedly through the standard wedding ceremony of religion x (which may not even be an option since a minister may have reasonable reservations about your commitment to that faith!)

Anyway, good luck and congrats on the wedding! :
Participating in a reading would go against my beliefs. Doesn't mean I'd boycott the wedding, but I would not be able to participate.

I would likely be quite uncomfortable. Doesn't mean I'd expect you to change anything, though. part of that is me being uncomforable with anything I'm not used too.
#15 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Could you talk with a UU (Unitarian Universalist) minister? They may have a lot of insight in ways to honor your beliefs and practices, while still being welcoming and not off-putting to others.

But in all, I think you should plan your ceremony to reflect your path and your lives - it is your life that is changing, and your union that is being celebrated. So it should be meaningful for YOU and your SO. Be considerate of others, sure, but in reality, they aren't planning their religious ceremonies for anyone else and you shouldn't either. No one has to participate in any part that makes them uncomfortable, and if it is really something they feel strongly about, they can skip the ceremony and join you for the reception (or just stay home.)

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#16 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Congrats on your marriage!

I am Christian and we had a very religious ceromony. (We read from the Bible, my pastor did the ceromony, and we had a cousin come up and say a special prayer.) Not all of my friends are Christian, though. We didn't ask anyone to participate in the ceromony, other than asking people to bow thier heads to pray. But I was always raised that if you don't want to do something religious with friends/family it is totally ok just to sit quietly.

I think I would be comfortable going to a pagan wedding. I would just sit out if I didn't feel comfy with something. But I would have no problem listening to my friends/family telling each other their vows, or making promises to each other based on dieties that I don't believe in. It's thoughtful that you are thinking about them, I think it's unlikely that you will offend anyone. (Even though my mother said she was offended that my dad didn't 'give me away' and we didn't do some other traditional things, once the wedding happened she (and everyone else) was just happy for us! I bet even people who think your ceromony will not be good, will be happy for you once they see how happy you guys are!) Good luck!

Try to have fun! My wedding was such a happy day! :

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#17 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVale View Post
Maybe you can put a little flyer in your invites, that explains what being a Pagan is all about. That way your guests will be informed, and won't be uncomfortable. When I was 17, I went to my first Catholic wedding and was totally unprepared, I wish I had been informed. Best wishes on your happy day!
I like this idea. So I'm a Christian and I would definitely attend a wedding that was not my religion. I have friends & loved ones who aren't Christians and like you said about your sister and friend, I love them just the same. I wouldn't stand up in it (be a bridesmaid) only because I feel like bridesmaids bear witness for the couple and I did that once as a younger woman and felt weird about it. It was a Universalist Unitarian (sp?) wedding and I felt like I was being dishonest somehow. Anyway, I think a little note about what it means to be Pagan and have a Pagan ceremony would be very thoughtful and helpful for you guests not familiar with it.

Wife to dh and mama to : dd (7/08) and ds (11/09)
#18 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 PM

I'm not necessarily out as pagan to most of my family, and feel no need to spell it out in case it creates issues that don't need to be there. Most of my family is not overly religious anyways, and they kind of expect us to do things our own way anyways, so I personally would not be comfortable supplying a pamphlet explaining our beliefs, but rather went for the route of creating little rituals that had a lot of meaning to us but many people wouldn't have even noticed them. We had an outdoor ceremony, which wasn't surprising as we're outdoor enthusiasts. We had an alter up front, with meaningful symbols for all the elements but to most people it just looked like a table. We wrote our own ceremony and made many references to nature, but most people didn't really pay attention to the specific words anyways! We had the ceremony on the summer solstice, we played specific music, we used candles and wore special amulets under our clothes - many things that just came across as personal and not necessarily pagan.

The thing that gets me about this whole discussion is that many Christian people would NEVER worry about offending others with their ceremony, it is just expected that it is the norm and the basis off which we all plan ours. I've sat through MANY christian marriages and have not felt threatened by it. I would hope that others would be able to enjoy ours without feeling threatened as well. Our ceremony was seen by most people as non-religious, as it seems in many peoples' minds, it's in a church or it's not religious at all.

Good luck with planning yours - if it still seems undoable, I'd do a very private ceremony beforehand between you and your partner, and then do one for family that celebrates your union and the creation of your family, without being religious at all.

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#19 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 PM

I'm Catholic and we can't participate.

Also, Hubby and I were asked to stand up in his brother's wedding and were totally highjacked with being asked to do and say things we weren't comfortable with, sort of a last minute additions thing. It made me very uncomfortable and I no longer will attend weddings that will apply pressure to me in that way. I don't want to ruin anyone's occasion and I certainly don't want any strife, so it's easier to just go to the reception if the participation element is iffy.
#20 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 AM

DH and I are pagan and I wrote our ceremony. It was just about a page long. We had a friend perform the ceremony.

We're in the closet with DH's family....it's a whole "don't ask, don't tell" policy that seems to work for everyone. Everyone came and if anyone was offended they didn't say anything.

Of course the whole wedding was unorthodox....we had it outside in our back yard, it was very informal. We did a potluck type reception. Didn't have any type of bridesmaids, best man, or maid of honour.

I was able to write the ceremony in such a way that it conveyed the big points for us and didn't feel the need to include anything very ceremonial or dogmatic....first because I didn't want to offend anyone, and second, because most people wouldn't 'get it' and I didn't want to make the ceremony an hour long just so they would 'get it'.

Anyway, it's your ceremony do it the way you two want to! You're only doing this once so it might as well be what you want!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#21 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I'm Christian (LDS), and I wouldn't find anything innately offensive in attending a Pagan wedding. I would not feel comfortable being asked to directly participate in any of the rituals (by word or action), but I don't think most weddings call on the guests to do more than just sit and watch. Sure, I might feel a little weirded out by some of the things that were said/done, but that would stem more from my unfamiliarity with them than anything.

I also agree with those who've suggested you could invite people to the reception, but not the ceremony, or give them the option of attending only the reception, if you really feel like the ceremony would upset them.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#22 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DH and I had about as Pagan a wedding as you can have, on a certain level.

We were renewing our vows, being already 16 years into Common Law (which our state recognized at that time), so that in itself followed pre-Christian Celtic marriage in that they had many different forms of marriage. We were simply going from one form to another.

We used the Quaker form of the state license, which meant that we had no officiant besides ourselves. We did have to have witnesses to sign the license. You should see our part of the license, names all over the thing!

The timing was the Full Moon right around Samhain of that year. The idea being that Samhain celebration, in the midst of the final preparations for winter, was the last chance with everyone together to contract a marriage before winter closed in and kept extended families and communities apart. Granted not as much of an issue in modern times, or is it? :

We said our vows to each other, mostly consisting of stating to the effect that we'd made vows 16 years previously and would continue to learn and grow and keep them.
No need to spell out the exact vows, which aren't quite Biblical standard, at that point.

At some point, I explained why we chose the timing, etc. We shared cake and ice wine, pointing out the symbolism. Then Mom spoke, and she spoke from her Catholic perspective in a positive way, and it was very okay.

Then we ate cake and drank ice wine.

I don't understand the idea that just because the ceremony is from another tradition that someone cannot go. You're not being asked to convert, or even to practice that faith for so much as a minute. You're only there to share the couple's joy at getting married. I've been to Catholic, Protestant (I think it was a Methodist church), and mixed weddings for my family. I would have no more expected them to not follow their own beliefs than they expected me to not follow mine.
Quote:
The thing that gets me about this whole discussion is that many Christian people would NEVER worry about offending others with their ceremony, it is just expected that it is the norm and the basis off which we all plan ours. I've sat through MANY christian marriages and have not felt threatened by it. I would hope that others would be able to enjoy ours without feeling threatened as well. Our ceremony was seen by most people as non-religious, as it seems in many peoples' minds, it's in a church or it's not religious at all.
Yeah, this.
That any wedding that's non-Christian (unless Jewish, Islam, or Hindu) is seen as being somehow automatically non-religious at all is rather a rude double standard IMO.
Religion and Christian are not synonymous.

"What will you do once you know?"
#23 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 AM

I'm assuming that you'll have some sort of blessings? My suspicion is that people who don't know anything about paganism won't blink an eye. Why? Because a lot of Christian prayers, etc. hijacked metaphors from paganism (why the heck do we celebrate Christmas on Dec 25th? It's got nothing to do with the actual day of Jesus' birth and a lot to do with co-opting existing traditions).

Most Christians who don't know anything about paganism assume that pagan = devil worship and would expect you to be cooking newts (Ok, so I'm exagerating).

Since I've never been to a pagan wedding, I googled it and the first 2-3 examples I found wouldn't even really strike me as odd, let alone pagan, unless I knew so going in.

So, my advice as a Christian - have the service and the blessing you want. (Just don't cook any newts, as I'm pretty sure they taste terrible!)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#24 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

This has all been quite interesting and eye opening!!!!

I should note that I'd prefer to not put any notes in the invites stating that it's a pagan wedding, and I'd like the pagan points to be subtle but meaningful to us. I certainly would not ask anyone to participate in any sort of ritual... I guess though that I do like the idea of the candles and the prayer. I have no problem calling it a prayer if that makes people more comfortable (I call it candle magic, but isn't it all the same? )

Keep the info coming!!! And thank you to all of the Christians and Catholics and everyone from other perspectives for putting your two cents in.

#25 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 AM

We just did it. And that was all. The lady who did my ceremony is a friend, and a wonderful priestess. She explained everything very clearly, and even my step-father was impressed by how she handled bridging the gap. I should add that he's never impressed by anything. One of my sisters is Catholic and therefore never participates in anything I do for my family (weddings, naming ceremonies, etc). She even went so far as to say that our other sisters and the rest of our family (Non-Catholic Christians of varying flavors) shouldn't participate because it wasn't "right." I think the worst person to get over it was my Grandma but she worries for me anyway. She worries for everyone everywhere. She probably worries for you, too.
Anyway, just go for it! Write a ceremony that is beautiful and meaningful to you. People aren't guaranteed the right to never feel offended. And if they're that worked up, they can stand outside, request to not have a speaking part, or even not show up (which is what my sister did). This day belongs to you and your hubby, no-one else. But that's just me.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#26 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM

As a Christian, I think that as long as you're not being offensive about other religions (and it sounds as if you are far from doing that), your guests shouldn't have any issues about attending. I would be honored to be invited to the wedding of a person of another faith. I would definitely appreciate some sort of flyer or handout about the beliefs or tenets of your faith, if I had been unable to research it prior to the ceremony. Better than that, even, if you are sending invitations, can you include something in the invite?

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#27 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Most of my family is Catholic and very religious. Dh and I are Jewish, and we had a Jewish wedding. I invited all of my family members, and most of them came. A few had a problem with attending a Jewish wedding and didn't come, but that's their problem. We had a wonderful ceremony and all the people who care about us were there.

A friend of mine had a very nontraditional ceremony that she wrote. Her Dh's very traditional Chinese family flew thousands of miles to attend, and no one batted an eye. It was what the bride and groom felt in their hearts, and everyone saw that.

Bottom line is, you need to do what feels right to you.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#28 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 AM

Just a quick clarification... the readings were done by selected friends/family who knew well in advance (and had the readings well in advance). It wasn't a general participation type thing. Many weddings I've attended have had members of the wedding party or immediate family do readings of some sort during the ceremony (or play an instrument, or sing, or participate in some planned manner) and the only real difference here was that each reading reflected an aspect of a specific element and the reader stood not in the front of the seated guests but at a compass point. I'm pretty sure non-pagans didn't even notice that there was a pagan layer to the readings...

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#29 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 AM

And just a quick reminder...

Everyone has been very polite and open, which is perfect. But I do want to remind everyone that Spirituality is a "support only" forum. From the guidelines:

Quote:
The Spirituality board is a forum of support, respectful requests of information, and sharing of faith and practice. To uphold this purpose the board will not host discussions of debate or criticism. Disagreements about spiritual issues should be set aside out of respect for the diversity and varying interpretations and beliefs that we hold as a community.

While we will not restrict discussions to persons of the faith being discussed we will be active in discouraging an individual from posting for the purpose of disagreement, with no interest in practicing the faith or belief in discussion, or to prove a faith or a belief to be wrong, misguided, or not based on fact. Prosletyzing, to convert to a faith or from one, will not be permitted.
Again, I think everyone is staying within these guidelines, but this discussion has the potential to drift into topics that might be better suited to the Religious Studies forum. For example, a discussion of personal comfort levels when attending a different religion's ceremonies, or a more detailed discussion of comparative ritual and the meaning behind the ritual, would be wonderful additions to Religious Studies.

Please PM me with any questions or concerns, and be well!

#30 of 82 Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Dh and I had a pagan hand-fasting. It was amazing and wonderful : We had a priestess, had our hands tied with a cord we made, jumped a broom and sword, and wrote our own vows. It was outside and beautiful and crazy like special occasional always are.

Friends of ours of course came to celebrate with us, though most are not pagan.

Dh's mother and brother and family came to the wedding no problem. His extended family was fairly non responsive, but he isn't very close with them.

My mother and father and my brothers and their family's came. My fathers parents came as well. The rest of my family did not. I come from a roman catholic background and received many rsvp cards back with notes of "we can not attend as it is against god to attend ceremonies of heathens" or of biblical scripture or a simple prayer for my soul and that I will "come back to my true roots" someday. I was even told by my grandmother that she did not recognize my marriage as it was under a false god and that I was living in sin. My personal experience with my extended family has not been very supportive. They are very much entitled to there own opinions though.

All that aside, I was expecting the reaction. We had a small and very wonderful and supportive group of people at the end. I tried not to take it personally that some of my family was so upset by my ceremony. My DH and I are the odd sheep in the family anyway, from our tattoos and piercings, extended breastfeeding and co sleeping, homeschooling and Wiccan ways. Hey, I give people something to talk about.

I hope that you have a ceremony that is deeply meaningful to you and represents what you want it to be. You are the one getting married and it should be the way the way you dream it will be. Hopefully everyone will love you for you and your uniqueness and be supportive (even if they choose not to attend). Best of luck!

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page