Reconciling feminism w/Christianity s/o: Poll for Catholics - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on the gender of Catholic Altar Servers?
They should only be male 10 20.83%
They can be male or female 36 75.00%
I'm not sure 2 4.17%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
Mine is the Greek New Testament. It is not a translation. I'm a Greek & Latin teacher.
Sorry to butt in here, but this is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
No. I am referring to during the Solemn Sacrifice of the Mass.
The Altar is the Altar, whether it's being used for Mass or not. The Tabernacle is there, the Real Presence is there. So why the distinction? Is the Altar somehow "holier" during Mass, than at other times?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
The Altar is the Altar, whether it's being used for Mass or not. The Tabernacle is there, the Real Presence is there. So why the distinction? Is the Altar somehow "holier" during Mass, than at other times?

No. It is just as holy outside of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass as it is within it. However, it is our vocation as women to support our priests, and foster vocations within our young men, outside of the Mass- no be on the Altar during it.

But since you believe in female ordination, and I do not, I believe that this is a pointless discussion, because I don't think either of us will sway the other.

Have a good evening, spero, and God Bless.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
Sorry to butt in here, but this is

It is from me as well. I wish I was cool enough to read Latin or Greek.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Not to butt in, but what does it mean to have the choir "on the altar?" Do you mean in the sanctuary? I once knew of a priest who put his little dog on the altar, but a whole choir seems a bit of a stretch.

We usually have a choir outside of the sanctuary and above the nave, where the pews face each other like in a monastery or college chapel. Is it different in Roman Catholic churches?

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Not to butt in, but what does it mean to have the choir "on the altar?" Do you mean in the sanctuary? I once knew of a priest who put his little dog on the altar, but a whole choir seems a bit of a stretch.

We usually have a choir outside of the sanctuary and above the nave, where the pews face each other like in a monastery or college chapel. Is it different in Roman Catholic churches?
Depends on the Church.
Some places, like my old Church, had the choir off to the side of the Altar, but still within the Sanctuary, in front of the St. Joseph Altar. Another had them in not actually within the Sanctuary, but off to the side in the Mary Altar alcove. Whatever the case, the choir is in front of, and facing, the congregation.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Fay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
It is from me as well. I wish I was cool enough to read Latin or Greek.
I am the least cool person you could ever possibly meet. I'm a lifelong nerd, descended from nerds, and married to a nerd. But I'll teach Greek and Latin to anyone who expresses an interest...I wish more Catholics took an interest in learning the history/historical languages of our faith.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
I am the least cool person you could ever possibly meet. I'm a lifelong nerd, descended from nerds, and married to a nerd. But I'll teach Greek and Latin to anyone who expresses an interest...I wish more Catholics took an interest in learning the history/historical languages of our faith.
To me- all nerds are cool. You know... since I AM one!
I love to meet people who know stuff I don't, because I learn something. And the fact that I get to learn something new from someone I never met makes that person ridiculously awesome.

User Tag List