Reconciling feminism w/Christianity s/o: Poll for Catholics - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What's your opinion on the gender of Catholic Altar Servers?
They should only be male 10 20.83%
They can be male or female 36 75.00%
I'm not sure 2 4.17%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so how do you feel about Altar Servers/acolytes? Should they be male only? As I understand it, orginally this ministry was only open to boys because it was considered a "first step" to discerning the priesthood (and females were not allowed on the Altar).

So, what's your take? And - if you are comfortable posting - why?

Remember to gimme a minute to set the poll ... :

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#2 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 03:09 PM

My son and my daughter were altar servers. "Co-ed" serving did not come to our church until the late '90's, and girls answered the call in droves. Quite frankly, if the girls weren't allowed to serve our church would have a serious shortage of servers. At a mass with 3 servers, two of them are girls. If Father has to come out to look for servers, the girls are the first to volunteer.

I see this as a service to the church, and my heart is always glad that young people want to take part. With so many willing, why would girls be excluded?
#3 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my two girls are AS, so you know my answer.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#4 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM

When I was small, I always wanted to be an altar server, but at the first church I attended, there were no girls. It was kind of funny because my little brother never was that interested, but was kind of pushed into it, and was terrified. His first mass, he tripped and fell on a candle. However after two moves, we attended a church where there were girl altar servers, and I got my chance :. My brother also started doing it again, and this time we could serve the same mass together. This was back in the late 70's/early 80's, and there was a rumor that the pastor had gotten in trouble for having girl servers and that at some later date they went back to only boys.
I still go to this church sometimes when I visit my parents and want to attend a Catholic mass with them, and I think that they now have girls again.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#5 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM

I have mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, I am glad that both girls and boys can serve. My daughter is very excited about the prospect of being to do this when she is older. On the other hand, I do feel that we have to do more to help our boys discern a vocation to the priesthood, and certainly being an altar server is a wonderful way to participate in a meaningful way. I think that the more something becomes a "girl" thing, the less boys want to do it. (I know that doesn't sound PC by the way) In our parish only girls serve. Not one boy is willing to do it.

I guess it is a good thing for girls to serve, but I wish we could find ways to help boys participate more in a "special" way. We need more vocations to the priesthood!

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#6 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Fay

I just love seeing children contribute to the liturgy in any way they are able, whether it's lighting candles, being junior ushers, altar servers, lectors, greeters, helping the sacristan, whatever. It is such a joy to see and hear children at church!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#7 of 38 Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 AM

As usual, I am with Rome on this one. Both genders are allowed by the Church and I agree with that

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#8 of 38 Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
As usual, I am with Rome on this one. Both genders are allowed by the Church and I agree with that
It wasn't too long ago that this wasn't the case (less than 30 years)...Rome forbid girls from being Altar servers. What changed so that Rome allowed it? Do you think it's a premonition of things to come?

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#9 of 38 Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 PM

I think it was decided that they were needed and acceptable. I do not think this means there will be women as priests, though I know many, including my dear friend Spero disagree.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#10 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
I have mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, I am glad that both girls and boys can serve. My daughter is very excited about the prospect of being to do this when she is older. On the other hand, I do feel that we have to do more to help our boys discern a vocation to the priesthood, and certainly being an altar server is a wonderful way to participate in a meaningful way. I think that the more something becomes a "girl" thing, the less boys want to do it. (I know that doesn't sound PC by the way) In our parish only girls serve. Not one boy is willing to do it.

I guess it is a good thing for girls to serve, but I wish we could find ways to help boys participate more in a "special" way. We need more vocations to the priesthood!
I have mixed feelings, too. Our parish has LOTS of altar servers, both boys and girls--which is wonderful. I do wonder if there is an opportunity lost here for boys to discern a call to the priesthood because it is open to females. On the other hand, it's a great way for kids to be involved in the mass and learn their faith.

I guess I don't really know!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#11 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 AM

Girls weren't allowed to serve when I was of an age. I would have loved to do it.

My DD is too young, but I hope she'll serve when she's old enough. We don't give our children--whose faith lives we are honored to be responsible for--anywhere nearly enough opportunties to participate and contribute to the church community.

I don't get the connection between serving and discerning a priestly vocation.

And if boys don't want to do it because it's a "girl thing," I'd say that's a problem for the boys and their parents and is mostly definitely NOT a reason to exclude girls.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#12 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
I don't get the connection between serving and discerning a priestly vocation.
http://stjohnbaptist.info/marianguil...anguild12.html

Quote:
Altar Servers have been a part of Church history since the earliest times, with those male faithful who were deemed worthy assisting the priest at the altar while he said the Holy Mass. From the very beginning, the duties of “ACOLYTE” or learner were strictly the domain of young males, as women had no place near the altar.

Acolyte was one of the seven levels of ordained ministry in the Latin Rite that culminated with Deacon and finally, Priest.

Not that I agree with ANY of this, mind you ... but this is where all the BS reasoning comes from:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur19.htm

Quote:
The 1994 letter (from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments clarifying that girls may serve at the altar) states: "It will always be very appropriate to follow the noble tradition of having boys serve at the altar. As is well known, this has led to a reassuring development of priestly vocations. Thus the obligation to support such groups of altar boys will always continue."
Quote:
Therefore the Holy See's recommendation is to retain as far as possible the custom of having only boys as servers.
Quote:
Regarding the column on female altar servers (Feb. 3), a priest from Illinois asked if it were possible to place the issue in a theological context.

He suggests several arguments against their use and asks: "based on the same theology of the body that Pope John Paul II has so profoundly explained, how can girls serving at the altar not be perceived as a move towards women's ordination? The role of the altar server is not just functional. Also, actions speak louder than words; by the Pope allowing altar girls in the context of the cultural politicization of the liturgy and the role of women, he does send the message that women's ordination will come about despite statements to the contrary."
I can get on board with this, though.

Quote:
Too frequently, it sounds as if the Church doesn't have to worry about breaking the moral law because it follows a higher liturgical law. Also, the last time I checked, by virtue of baptism, the Code of Canon Law says that every Catholic has a right to the sacraments. Does liturgical law also override canon law?"
And, since I went there - thank goodness we've moved past this kind of crap.

http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/245416

Quote:
Female altar servers

It was customary to reserve all service at the altar to males. It was strictly forbidden to have women serving near the altar within the sacred chapel, that is, they were prohibited from entering the altar area behind the altar rails during the liturgy. [Catholic Moral Theology, Fr. Jone OFMCap, Nr. 315.] In his encyclical "Allatae Sunt" of 26 July 1755, Pope Benedict XIV explicitly condemned females serving the priest at the altar with the following words:

"Pope Gelasius in his ninth letter (chap. 26) to the bishops of Lucania condemned the evil practice which had been introduced of women serving the priest at the celebration of Mass. Since this abuse had spread to the Greeks, Innocent IV strictly forbade it in his letter to the bishop of Tusculum: "Women should not dare to serve at the altar; they should be altogether refused this ministry." We too have forbidden this practice in the same words in Our oft-repeated constitution "Etsi Pastoralis", sect. 6, no. 21." [ [http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Ben14/b14allat.htm Encyclical Allatae Sunt, 26 July, 1755, Pope Benedict XIV, paragraph 29.] ]
Ugh.

#13 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 AM

I'm curious--at what age can boys and girls become altar servers? I personally prefer adults (of either gender) to be altar servers but I come from a background where bad things happened to my childhood church's young altar servers.
#14 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

CP, they are usually eligible after they've made their First Communion.

Our Diocese now has strict guidelines for those working with children, so while it's not impossible it would be very difficult for an adult to harm a young child.

#15 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM

At our parish, altar service begins in 5th grade. One 5th grader is assigned with two older servers while s/he learns the ropes. The priest stays in front and does not vest himself until the servers are ready, or alternately is ready before the servers arrive. He is never in the sacristy while the altar servers are there, and he never ever goes into the room where the server robes are kept until after the servers are finished for the day and gone. After Mass, the priest stays outside to visit and does not come into the sacristy until the servers are gone. As Spero said, it would be really hard to harm a child under those guidelines.
#16 of 38 Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 PM

I guess I will be the first to speak up and say I totally disagree with female altar servers. As well as female readers and EMHCs of all genders.

Why? Because the trample on the sacred. And yes, altar serving does foster vocations.
Churchs that make altar serving something special for the young men and men have large programs. This Churches also get the young ladies involved in the altar guild and rosary societies.
We all have our role in the Church. The role of women does not include being on the altar.

But this is, again, my opinion.
I used to be an altar server. I was an EMHC. I was a reader. I was gonna be a priest and argued it for years. I will totally admit to the connection I saw between my service in these "ministries" and how they would lead me to being a priest.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#17 of 38 Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 PM

I don't want to argue, but I will say that without the women and girls, our church would not have enough altar servers, lectors, Extaordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, or even ushers. Our church has Mass attendance of 2000+ each week, but the men and boys are not signing up in enough numbers to do the work of the church. The women and girls are picking up the slack.
#18 of 38 Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post
I don't want to argue, but I will say that without the women and girls, our church would not have enough altar servers, lectors, Extaordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, or even ushers. Our church has Mass attendance of 2000+ each week, but the men and boys are not signing up in enough numbers to do the work of the church. The women and girls are picking up the slack.

At the Church I go to, we have the same Lector (actually instituted and vests for Mass) for every Mass. There might be a different gentleman who does the earlier morning mass, but I have never gone to those.

#19 of 38 Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly don't get the whole "women don't belong on the altar" thing.

Jesus had women disciples. This is widely acknowledged by Catholic theologians. This morning, in my FMP class on Eucharist, we discussed Cleopas and his companion - probably his wife - who is noted in some texts as "presbyter". Women were the first to witness the Resurrection. The first Evangelist was a woman. Jesus obviously felt that women were good enough to minister in His name, so why in the world do we keep arguing the point?

I'm proud to say that my girls are altar servers. I've been a music minister (on the Altar), and I'm presently a Eucharistic minister. I have distributed both the Body and the Precious Blood, and it is a great and beautiful privilege to do so. I approach the Altar with reverence and gratitude, knowing that I've been invited by Christ to serve others in His name. I simply cannot see how it is wrong or disrespectful for women to faithfully answer His call to service.

#20 of 38 Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Fay

Romans 16:1, "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Kenchrea." Paul uses the Greek word "diakonos," the same word for a liturgical deacon. I've always wondered when exactly female deacons were forbidden in the early church?

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#21 of 38 Old 03-07-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
I've always wondered when exactly female deacons were forbidden in the early church?
I'm guessing that it was around the time that priests came on the scene.

In the early church, there were no priests. Each locality had a bishop, and the deacons assisted the bishop (probably leading services in the home churches, since there were no "churches" - as we know them - either).

#22 of 38 Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Fay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
It all depends on your translation. I use Douay-Rheims. Yours is...?
Mine is the Greek New Testament. It is not a translation. I'm a Greek & Latin teacher.

#23 of 38 Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Romans 16:1, "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Kenchrea." Paul uses the Greek word "diakonos," the same word for a liturgical deacon. I've always wondered when exactly female deacons were forbidden in the early church?

Epistle Of Saint Paul To The Romans 16:1
And I commend to you Phebe, our sister, who is in the ministry of the church, that is in Cenchrae

It all depends on your translation. I use Douay-Rheims. Yours is...?

#24 of 38 Old 03-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Here's my question- if, in one Epistle, Paul is commending us to a woman (Romans 16:1) and then tells women to keep silent (1 Cor 14:34,35)- what is the truth?

My take, and what I remember being taught- it is the ministry of women to minister to other women and to children, outside of the Church. Men, being the the traditional priesthood holders, and spiritual head of the household, would minister to their wives and to the community at large.

BTW- the choir shouldn't be on the altar. It makes the choir entertainment and not accompaniment. IMHO

#25 of 38 Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

BTW- the choir shouldn't be on the altar. It makes the choir entertainment and not accompaniment. IMHO[/COLOR]
Well, when there literally is no other place for the choir, then you either deal with it or go without liturgical miusic. Which IMO is unacceptable.

#26 of 38 Old 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mine is the Greek New Testament. It is not a translation. I'm a Greek & Latin teacher.

#27 of 38 Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
Well, when there literally is no other place for the choir, then you either deal with it or go without liturgical miusic. Which IMO is unacceptable.
*shrug* then I have no answer. I have never seen such a situation, but I have seen many a choir loft go unused.

#28 of 38 Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 PM

We don't get choir music very much anymore. Since they aren't allowed on the altar anymore, there is no room for them. Our church was built in the 1960's, and there is no choir loft in sight. The choice was putting people in folding chairs in the aisles or having a choir, so the Fire Marshall made the decision. I really don't like not having a choir on Easter or Christmas, and I never considered the choir to be entertainment. I find the choir always enhanced my worship experience.

Now we have an electric piano and one cantor. At noon mass, we have electric piano, electric drum set, and 2 singers. All squished into the corner where the acoustics are terrible and no can really follow along. It is a sorry state of affairs, especially contrasted with the joyful noise that used to be made when the choir was up on the altar.
#29 of 38 Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

What we wouldn't give for an actual choir loft!

My church is a small, one-story mission parish that barely seats 175. The entire front of the sanctuary is altar, with the organ tucked right up against it and the first pews barely 4 feet away. It's a tight space, and we have to make the most of it. The only place for the choir is the space directly in front of Mary's altar, on the left side. The Tabernacle is on the right, where the Altar Servers have their seats. The Sacristy and the Confessional are in the back, at the entrance, on either side of the tiny vestibule. The storage closets and cleaning supplies are in the Confessional.

We have to be creative with our space, but no way are we giving up liturgical music.

Since we're on the subject of women on the Altar, let me ask you this ... if you believe that women should never be on the Altar, should only men do the cleaning there, then? 'Cause that just isn't gonna happen here!

#30 of 38 Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
Since we're on the subject of women on the Altar, let me ask you this ... if you believe that women should never be on the Altar, should only men do the cleaning there, then? 'Cause that just isn't gonna happen here!
No. I am referring to during the Solemn Sacrifice of the Mass.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page