What makes Jesus so special? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thao,

you're right the the gay and aborition issues may not effect the Christian... but there are many other things that would. I would be glad to get into it more when I have a better head on my shoulders - right now I'm about to make dinner

oh! and I wanted to clarify that YES, I'm not talking about hurt feelings but infringed upon "rights". I put the rights in quotations b/c "rights" are intangable and depending on who you are talking to, they vary. some my consider one thing a right of each person where as some will consider it a right of a nation and some say it isn't a right at all etc.

as far as the homoesexual AND abortion issues... they are not at all limited to Christianity. Many of the monothiest religions (and some of the polythiet ones) agree it is not "okay' to have abortions. It just happens that Christainity is the most common religion in this country (both culturally speaking and religous - b/c even if one is culturally christian they christian influence on their ideals would obviously still be there.)

lastly and quickly so the soup doesn't burn on my stove - I wanted to say that I don't personally believe in being invovled with politics (though i realize this is a diverse standing within Christianity) so the sect of christianity I am in (if that amkes sense) would have no part in deciding the laws for anyone - homosexual, abortion... etc. we stay completely out of the common day laws as well as the hot topic issues. I hold my beliefs and keep to them - but I don't vote on any issues. (long story short) so I'm not really the right person perhaps to talk about this...?

(p.s. if anyone is curious they can look up "anabaptist" and read about "nonresistance" which generally gives a better idea. Just ignore the wild assumptions you read about Amish people as they are usually ridiculous - plus I am not amish obviously heh)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 PM

HP, yes, I'd be interested in knowing what beliefs from another belief system impact you in terms of restricting or denying you actual rights. I've racked my brains and I can't think of any. But go deal with dinner first!

Oh, and the only reason why I am picking on Christianity in this thread is because it is what I know (I might put my foot in my mouth bigtime if I try to talk about Islam, say) and it is the dominant religion in this country. I'm not saying that Christianity is the only religion that holds these beliefs! I have a great deal of affection and respect for Christianity and Christians in general. I can tell you that Buddhism does not take a stance on either abortion or homosexuality.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thao View Post
I can tell you that Buddhism does not take a stance on either abortion or homosexuality.
Do you mean internally or externally? I mean with regard to those practicing the faith only, or with regard to legislating others?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:46 AM

As far as I know, it is left up to the conscience of the person, so that would be both internally and externally.

I could be wrong, as I am no expert on all branches of Buddhism (and there are a lot!). But what I see when I live in Buddhist societies is that there is no religious stigma against either. There is certainly a cultural stigma against being gay. But though people may think it is a weird disease, they don't call it a sin. There is no social stigma that I am aware of against abortion.

ETA: Buddhism does prohibit "sexual misconduct" but that is usually understood to mean harmful sexual acts like adultery. I just did a quick online search and found a website that says the Dalai Llama, when asked, stated that homosexuality is against Buddhist teachings while at the same time supporting social equality and justice for gays. So I guess there is a diversity of opinion between the different branches of Buddhism (he is Tibetan, I generally follow Theravada). However, there is absolutely no social controversy about it like there is here in the US. Even a person who believes it is wrong, like the Dalai Llama, supports equal rights for gays.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
As far as I know, it is left up to the conscience of the person, so that would be both internally and externally.
Ah. It's actually a subject matter I do know something about, so I was going to say something about the traditionally held Theravada stance on abortion, but it occurred to me that you might mean more in that activist, outward-looking sense of things ... in which case that stance is AFAIK totally irrelevant. Although there are a couple of Buddhist majority nations that do heavily legally restrict the procedure ... I am curious if those laws were arrived at through the influence of the local religious ethic, or by other means altogether.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 AM

Oh, sorry, I was fixated on the homosexual part in my reply.

You are right about Buddhism prohibiting abortion. But in my experience there is no social stigma for those who have abortions. I did not know that it was prohibited in some Buddhist countries, so you apparently know more than I do about it! Maybe it is stigmatized more in those countries...
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:

You are right about Buddhism prohibiting abortion. But in my experience there is no social stigma for those who have abortions. I did not know that it was prohibited in some Buddhist countries, so you apparently know more than I do about it! Maybe it is stigmatized more in those countries...
My intuitive thought would be that Buddhism would tend to have a problem with abortion... it would depend somewhat on what they perceived the embryo or fetus to be. Certainly it would seem sensible that those Buddhists that insist on vegetarianism for themselves might also have a problem with abortion, though I am maybe misunderstanding their reasons for vegetarianism.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM

not to go totally off track down these sub-topics but . . . gay rights and reproductive rights most certainly affect christians. like, gay christians and christians who want/need abortions (or "morning after" pills or birth control).

i grew up seventh-day adventist (which is a christian religion). the sda church would oppose legislation that bans abortion or gay marriage because it would see that as "legislating morality" and part of sda culture is fierce defense of religious freedom. that doesn't mean adventists think abortion and gay marriage are okay - no church doctrine against abortion, love-the-sinner-hate-the-sin bs about homosexuality. my (most definitely sda and teaching in an sda school) high school english teacher had an abortion because she had rubella during pregnancy. it had happened years earlier when she wasn't at that school, but she was open about it so that people would be more understanding of some of the reasons why access to women's health care is important. open homosexuality isn't tolerated in even liberal sda circles, afaik, which makes me sad.

judaism (which i'm learning about, not speaking on behalf of) is not black-and-white opposed to abortion. some (many? most?) reform rabbis will perform gay marriages, and some (few? i don't know) conservative rabbis will perform "commitment ceremonies" but not call it a marriage, at least, according to the rules. my local (reform) rabbi is a lesbian. that whole perspective makes me, well, not sad! i can soooo live with that. but then, i'm a civil rights spaz.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM

Please, help me out here. I'm lost in this last page from the topic what makes Jesus so special? Tie it back on for me. Throw me a lasso.

"There is a special place in Hell for women who do not help other women." ~ Madeleine Albright, first woman U. S. Secretary of State.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
HP, yes, I'd be interested in knowing what beliefs from another belief system impact you in terms of restricting or denying you actual rights. I've racked my brains and I can't think of any. But go deal with dinner first!

Oh, and the only reason why I am picking on Christianity in this thread is because it is what I know (I might put my foot in my mouth bigtime if I try to talk about Islam, say) and it is the dominant religion in this country. I'm not saying that Christianity is the only religion that holds these beliefs! I have a great deal of affection and respect for Christianity and Christians in general. I can tell you that Buddhism does not take a stance on either abortion or homosexuality.
In North America? Hard, because other religions don't really have much influence. So you would have to be looking at secularism, really, as denying "rights."

What about publicly funded religious education? (But is that a right is the question? Does secular education = humanist education, for example?) I'm not sure about the USA, but in Canada some provinces have or used to have a separate Catholic school system that was publicly funded. I believe in many places in the US this is not allowed, so we could say that secularism impacts the right for parents to choose a schooling that they want.

Another possibility would be prohibition, though it could be tacked onto a particular denomination rather than a different religion.

In France students in schools are not allowed to wear any religious symbols, headscarves, cross necklaces, etc. This is because schools are supposed to be secular. I have been told that religious books are not found in libraries in France for the same reason (is this true anyone and if so is it an official policy?), Here in Canada, Quebec, although it is less extreme, has had been cases of sports teams not allowing girls to cover due to so-called safety concerns.

Very often people are told that they are not allowed to take their religious views into account when voting. This is a misunderstanding of the political system but a very common one in Canada.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

Very often people are told that they are not allowed to take their religious views into account when voting. This is a misunderstanding of the political system but a very common one in Canada.
Really?
I'm in Ontario and I have never heard this.
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
Really?
I'm in Ontario and I have never heard this.
Karen
That is probably a good thing. I find they usually claim that this is "the separation of church and state." People get some weird ideas about our system, I couldn't believe how many people I heard complain that the GG couldn't allow a coalition government in a minority situation. :

Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Do you mean internally or externally? I mean with regard to those practicing the faith only, or with regard to legislating others?
yes I was curious about this too... I would have had the impression they'd be against abortion as they are big time on respecting all life.

if you mean legislation wise, then I could understand what one. (but like I said I have no part in that either)

correct me if i'm wrong though!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I could be wrong, as I am no expert on all branches of Buddhism (and there are a lot!). But what I see when I live in Buddhist societies is that there is no religious stigma against either. There is certainly a cultural stigma against being gay. But though people may think it is a weird disease, they don't call it a sin. There is no social stigma that I am aware of against abortion.

ETA: Buddhism does prohibit "sexual misconduct" but that is usually understood to mean harmful sexual acts like adultery. I just did a quick online search and found a website that says the Dalai Llama, when asked, stated that homosexuality is against Buddhist teachings while at the same time supporting social equality and justice for gays. So I guess there is a diversity of opinion between the different branches of Buddhism (he is Tibetan, I generally follow Theravada). However, there is absolutely no social controversy about it like there is here in the US. Even a person who believes it is wrong, like the Dalai Llama, supports equal rights for gays.
do bhiddists call anything a "sin" though? I was under the impression they didn't.

as far as homosexuality - well that's so OT, but just b/c I believe it is wrong in god's eyes - as in it isn't His purpose for us, doesn't mean I think they should be treated differently. so I'm not sure what to say about that. every human has human rights. (hence my belief against abortion for instance). so I'm not sure what else to say on that. my belief against it should not play in any part of stopping a gay person from living a gay life. it is their right to choose.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 PM

ok... so to the subject of the rights of Christians begin infringed upon by other beliefs...

well first off I wanna say that you have to take into consideration the smaller sects of Christianity. for instance I'm not a part of mainstream Christianity - what you see on TV, read in most books or hear on the news... so it may differ in some ways. I'm apolitical so it changes a lot for me. If my rights are infringed upon, I don't "fight back" as it's against my beliefs. I also don't "fight" against other people's "rights".

secondly in America, "Christianity" (both culturally and religiously) is the main religion/culture so of course there wont be as many issues on rights infringements upon Christians within this country. like I said, even if people aren't religiously christian, b/c so many have grown up with that traditional background, it will most likely atleast influence their ways of thinking in some areas. so do not think I am giving the impression that Christianity is beaten down in all of America... it isn't.

but all through time AND all through different cultures it has been treated like any other minority. Christianity isn't the "pop religion" in all places through all time. it is right now, in America... for now.

my own personal example of rights infringement is the homeschooling issue. (or schooling at all). It is my right given by God to school my children as I see fit... but the government (where I am) has strict rules that often conflict against my own moral beliefs. (long story short) I fi do not comply CPS gets involved and my children can be put into "the system" and forced to public school. I homeschool against those laws now at the risk of CPS getting involved, or I homeschool by their rules and set my religious beliefs aside. My birthing rights are often infringed upon - birth in my belief is a spiritual right of the child (and couple) but rules keep me from doing as I wish. I do not believe in vaxing for religious and health reasons but in this state they are attempting to force people to vax against their will under penalty of court. This is a big subject right now.

(this may not seem a big deal to some, but as they ALL undermine my entire belief system AND my choices do not affect anyone else - so it is a big deal to me)

on a grander scale, many of my christian brothers and sister living in India right no are being tortured, raped and killed for their beliefs. NOT for trying to proselytizing, but for refusing to say they are not Christians. period.

on a looser but important-to-me scale - the right to preform abortion infringes upon the right of the unborn individual. and though that is not *MY* personal right, it is the right of an individual that matters to me. the right fo the woman's choice infringes upon the right of the unborn. this is a matter of right vs right. who's right is more important? the majority? (the woman) or the minority? (the unborn with no voice)

I could give a bunch of examples... but really that isn't the point. the point is one person's belief over what their right is (or the right of the people vs the right of the governing powers that be) will always infringe upon one another.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeMom View Post
Please, help me out here. I'm lost in this last page from the topic what makes Jesus so special? Tie it back on for me. Throw me a lasso.
I don't think there is a connection. We're meandering .
Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
What about publicly funded religious education? (But is that a right is the question? Does secular education = humanist education, for example?) I'm not sure about the USA, but in Canada some provinces have or used to have a separate Catholic school system that was publicly funded. I believe in many places in the US this is not allowed, so we could say that secularism impacts the right for parents to choose a schooling that they want.
Yeah, I thought of this, but I don't think it really works as a comparison. Public education is secular not because it thinks religion is bad, but simply because you couldn't possibly teach all of the religions of all of the kids in the class, nor could you publicly fund schools for all the various religions and denominations. It is a logistical issue. And people do have the right to send their kids to a religious school of their choice, although they may not have the money to do so. A gay couple can't get married for any sum of money.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
my own personal example of rights infringement is the homeschooling issue. (or schooling at all). It is my right given by God to school my children as I see fit... but the government (where I am) has strict rules that often conflict against my own moral beliefs. (long story short) I fi do not comply CPS gets involved and my children can be put into "the system" and forced to public school. I homeschool against those laws now at the risk of CPS getting involved, or I homeschool by their rules and set my religious beliefs aside. My birthing rights are often infringed upon - birth in my belief is a spiritual right of the child (and couple) but rules keep me from doing as I wish. I do not believe in vaxing for religious and health reasons but in this state they are attempting to force people to vax against their will under penalty of court. This is a big subject right now.
Thank you for telling me about this. I'm surprised to hear it, honestly. I'm wondering what rules your state has? In our state, the kids just have to demonstrate that they are competent in the core disciplines, but other than that it is up to the parents. My niece was homeschooled, and her curriculum was pretty religious. Her science book, for example, taught creationism and did not mention evolution. Same with birthing rights--aren't homebirths legal in your state? And vaxing -- our state allows vax exemptions; I thought that all states did. But maybe I am ignorant in this area.

I do agree with you that secularism can go overboard and restrict the rights of religious people, like Bluegoat's example of France's policy against religious symbols in schools, which I strenuously disagree with. I didn't know it was happening in the US.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM

Thao - the vaxing issue you can work around for now... but they are trying to change it. (which is odd b/c SO many amish here will *not* comply). yes homebirth is legal in this state, but the midwives are heavily governed to a point of ridiculousness. all the midwives that would actually be able to help are illegal... so are forced to work underground. again it's my religious belief that government has no say on birth as birth is a spiritual right and ritual... and yet if anything at a home birth goes "wrong" I can be taken to court as well as any midwives involved. even if I don't want to sue the midwife, she still would be taken to court by the state... etc etc but... anyhow. just examples. I'm not trying to claim I'm beaten down or anything... but massively inconvenienced, and my rights I feel are very infringed upon.... but b/c I am a smaller sect of people that believes this way, I know I have but only so much say. it's little us against big them.

(I could go into my belief about SS #'s being wrong and how PA is trying to tag every last farm animal even on hobby far,s so they can run it under their "checks" which cost small farmers a lot of money for no good reason... etc... but since that's pretty extremist of me, and so even farther off topic, I'll save it for another date haha!)

Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I could give a bunch of examples... but really that isn't the point. the point is one person's belief over what their right is (or the right of the people vs the right of the governing powers that be) will always infringe upon one another.
I agree with you, except I'd say "in some cases" rather than "always". The gay belief that they should be able to get married or serve in the military in no way infringes on the rights of people who believe homosexuality is a sin, yet there are laws against these things. That is what I mean by the activist nature of Christianity; it tries to mold society to fit its rules. I believe Islam is similar in that respect. I thought that Buddhism does not do this, but maybe I am wrong; I'll have to learn more about governments and societies in countries where Buddhism is in the majority. As I said, the countries I have lived in (Hong Kong, China, Vietnam) do not have "Buddhist" laws, but one was a colony and two are pseudo-communist governments, so maybe they are not good examples.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM

theoretica,

we have taken you thread so far off topic it's crazy. my apologies!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeMom View Post

Quote:
I don't think there is a connection. We're meandering .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
theoretica,

we have taken you thread so far off topic it's crazy. my apologies!!!

And I know I didn't type all that clear, but I can't help but notice that absolutely no one responded to what I said. I thought maybe it was because I don't type as eloquently as others, or maybe because all the points I made were unclear to the reader, or maybe I was being redundant, or maybe Thao and HennyPenny were just too involved in their own discussion with each other to notice I had posted.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 03-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
And apparently I on the abortion part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
my own personal example of rights infringement is the homeschooling issue. (or schooling at all). It is my right given by God to school my children as I see fit... but the government (where I am) has strict rules that often conflict against my own moral beliefs.
Do you mind if I ask in what way? I ask just because I've been on both ends of the homeschooling system in PA -- I was a homeschool student who in latter years more or less handled dealing with the system myself, and I was a private tutor to homeschooled children. I don't really remember anything that I would imagine would conflict with moral beliefs, but it was 10+ years ago ... I'm curious how things have changed.

(P.S. - NAIS oppostion is not extreme. )
Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post

And I know I didn't type all that clear, but I can't help but notice that absolutely no one responded to what I said. I thought maybe it was because I don't type as eloquently as others, or maybe because all the points I made were unclear to the reader, or maybe I was being redundant, or maybe Thao and HennyPenny were just too involved in their own discussion with each other to notice I had posted.
you're welcome to re ask... but yeah fi there is a lot of conversation between a couple of people it's easy to overlook if someone else posts if you're on one thought train yk? if I'm in a hurry I often skim posts to look for replies to the topic I was interested in.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I did notice your post; it was very clear so I didn't think I had anything to add or ask you about. Did you have somewhere you wanted to go with it?

I will say that while I would agree that there have been other religions with comparable timelines as Christianity, there are also religions and sects that never get up any steam. The Shakers come to mind recently, though the reasons for their lack of growth are perhaps obvious.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
And apparently I on the abortion part.

Do you mind if I ask in what way? I ask just because I've been on both ends of the homeschooling system in PA -- I was a homeschool student who in latter years more or less handled dealing with the system myself, and I was a private tutor to homeschooled children. I don't really remember anything that I would imagine would conflict with moral beliefs, but it was 10+ years ago ... I'm curious how things have changed.
maybe we should start another thread! ha

Quote:
(P.S. - NAIS oppostion is not extreme. )
I'm glad I"m not the only one who thinks that! but see some ppl think that doens't count as a personal right. ugh whatever. it is if you're a small farmer that's for sure!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
The Shakers come to mind recently, though the reasons for their lack of growth are perhaps obvious.
yeah... that can only go so far! either the shakers die out or the world does! heh...

we had a group like that around here of anabaptists called "the cloister".. it took died out.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I don't get email notification for every single new post either. I'm supposed to, but I don't. Often I skim down to the bottom when I get an email notification and I often miss posts. Not that I'm active in this thread, posting-wise, but I am following it.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Oh, well, I don't get any email notification. When I post, I'm automatically subscribed. When I come to MDC, I click on User CP and all new posts to threads pops up and I click on the arrow that takes me to first unread post.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
... And I know I didn't type all that clear, but I can't help but notice that absolutely no one responded to what I said. I thought maybe it was because I don't type as eloquently as others, or maybe because all the points I made were unclear to the reader, or maybe I was being redundant, or maybe Thao and HennyPenny were just too involved in their own discussion with each other to notice I had posted.
I read your comment, ~Purity♥Lake~, and pretty much agree! I was engrossed in looking for the lasso and for the wandering sheep to return! (Thanks for the digression, PP's. I learned a few things.) I'll add.

I was telling my brother tonight about the topic and he plunked a book into my hands. It opens with (the bracket is mine), "All [wo/]men seek something to live for. From the one thing in life we seek, it is fulflllment." The abbreviated version goes on to mention that many live for a successful marriage and a good home, a decent job with financial security; some want power, friends, etc. "Yet, we must acknowledge that none of these things completely satisfy our aspirations." Neither do these things last, nor secure our happiness. It is the Christ, who over 2,000 years ago revealed that the ultimate purpose to our life is to live forever with God after death; that from infancy we have an insatiable desire to love and be loved. Christ tells us that human love is but a dim resemblance of God's love for us and its eternalness. He showed us how to get along with others, and to bear frustrations and disappointments. Jesus' "unique claim for his teaching is that he had a specific knowledge of God and his plan for us, and that he alone can lead us to God." This is from a book for Catholics, so I don't know any other versions. (The Tao interests me, tho'.)

Any inputs to ~Purity♥Lake~ or my comments?
(This is where I hop off now and go to sleep.)

"There is a special place in Hell for women who do not help other women." ~ Madeleine Albright, first woman U. S. Secretary of State.

User Tag List