What makes Jesus so special? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 04:49 AM
 
genifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In a land, far far away...
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MrsBridle, thank you so much for taking the time to be so eloquent and thoughtful in your responses. Had I taken the time, thats how I would have liked to word some of my thoughts.

And that poem was just beautiful.
genifer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 11,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
I think even going through the passages of what Jesus supposedly said, one would agree that your statement is what CHRISTIANITY is all about at it's core, not necessarily what Jesus spoke of (assuming he was quoted correctly) and certainly not what set him apart from the many others like him throughout history.

JIMHO, If there's any 'truth' to Christianity it would be in the origins of Jesus's teachings. Not what they turned into once 'the church' had their way with them. Not what followers made it out to be once they had an agenda. But the core basic teachings of treating people with respect/kindness regardless of their (or your) station in life etc etc
Thank you for this and yes. I have been wondering what the people who follow the teachings of Jesus call themselves if they don't identify with Christianity. I don't see the teaching and the religion as being one in the same. Hope that makes sense *and* isnt' offensive.
Panserbjorne is offline  
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
What makes Jesus any different than any other Christ that has lived before (and since) his time?
No time to read the whole thread, so pardon me for butting in, but off the top of my head...

Jesus of Nazareth wasn't born in December. He also didn't have three kings in attendance at his birth.

Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is online now  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
 
MsBirdie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Thank you for this and yes. I have been wondering what the people who follow the teachings of Jesus call themselves if they don't identify with Christianity. I don't see the teaching and the religion as being one in the same. Hope that makes sense *and* isnt' offensive.

My friend says she is a follower of Jesus, not a Christian, and she is a missionary and pastor so to speak.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
MsBirdie is offline  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 PM
 
ThirdEyeMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the light of the silvery moon.
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBirdie View Post
My friend says she is a follower of Jesus, not a Christian, and she is a missionary and pastor so to speak.
I'd like to hear the explaination from her personal conviction with religious basis. What denomination? A pastor, so to speak? Please explain.

OP's original post opens and closes as follows as the basis for this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
I *knew* you couldn't pass a title like THAT up ... So. What makes Jesus any different than any other Christ that has lived before (and since) his time?
The term "Christ" has only one meaning already discussed. So, for the sake of this current PP discussion, here are two (lay) definitions with reference sources about the definition "Christian" and the definition of "monotheism" as it pertains to theology (as opposed to guided or unguided personal conviction). Under monotheism note the presentation of other religions for contrast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotheism#Christian_view

"There is a special place in Hell for women who do not help other women." ~ Madeleine Albright, first woman U. S. Secretary of State.
ThirdEyeMom is offline  
Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
 
MsBirdie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She works with various churches and has been a missionary in Northern Ireland setting up afterschool sports programs that mix children from the Catholic churches and the Protestant churches, hoping to show the childrn that the other side is not the enemy. She als does missionary work for women in the sex industry and is currently in seminary school at a non denominational school. I say she is a pastor of sorts because she is not an ordained minister but a shepherd who, through example and compassion, brings many to Christ. I have to say she is the most non judgemental person I know. She has seen the violence and hatred that people have done in the name of the Christian Church, so now has decided to call herself a follower of Christ.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
MsBirdie is offline  
Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM
 
ThirdEyeMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the light of the silvery moon.
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBirdie View Post
She works with various churches and has been a missionary in Northern Ireland setting up afterschool sports programs that mix children from the Catholic churches and the Protestant churches, hoping to show the childrn that the other side is not the enemy. She als does missionary work for women in the sex industry and is currently in seminary school at a non denominational school. I say she is a pastor of sorts because she is not an ordained minister but a shepherd who, through example and compassion, brings many to Christ. I have to say she is the most non judgemental person I know. She has seen the violence and hatred that people have done in the name of the Christian Church, so now has decided to call herself a follower of Christ.
MsBirdie, Thank you for explaining. I was confused by use of some terms (word smithie that I am). This world can use more people like your friend, and for the rest of us to be so less judgmental. Violence and hatred done in the name of God or in the name of a church (or any other name!) are factions of mankind's misguided (to say the least) social justifications for doing evil.

"There is a special place in Hell for women who do not help other women." ~ Madeleine Albright, first woman U. S. Secretary of State.
ThirdEyeMom is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off