Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes i do

here's an example of why:

one sat morning my husband decided to BLAIR the music so loud it's a wonder the kids were tolerating it. I came into the living room a little ticked and turned it down. during that time frame there was a lot of conversation between my husband and i about being aware of other peoples needs, and being conciderate in general.
so, the next morning at church our pastor's daughter was preaching. and an example that she used to demonstrate a point was that it would be ridiculous to blair music when she knows very well she has a neighbor who probably wouldn't appreciate it that much.
it may be that you had to be... well, me to think this was funny. i thought it was hilarious! i didn't talk to my husband about it, but i know he got the message, because he doesn't turn his music up inconciderably loud anymore.

#62 of 86 Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdiemama View Post
yes i do

here's an example of why:

one sat morning my husband decided to BLAIR the music so loud it's a wonder the kids were tolerating it. I came into the living room a little ticked and turned it down. during that time frame there was a lot of conversation between my husband and i about being aware of other peoples needs, and being conciderate in general.
so, the next morning at church our pastor's daughter was preaching. and an example that she used to demonstrate a point was that it would be ridiculous to blair music when she knows very well she has a neighbor who probably wouldn't appreciate it that much.
it may be that you had to be... well, me to think this was funny. i thought it was hilarious! i didn't talk to my husband about it, but i know he got the message, because he doesn't turn his music up inconciderably loud anymore.
I love it when God does this kind of thing. Now that is funny!

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#63 of 86 Old 05-06-2010, 02:22 PM

I also love it when that happens!!
#64 of 86 Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 AM

Personally, I think He does. To say that He can't share the same things as us lowly, degraded humans is - well, I think that's an insult to Him and THAT simplifies Him. I agree that He is very complex, and that a sense of humor is part of those complexities.

I can just see Him creating the Earth and having a giggle when creating the platypus, the manatee, baby horses and their legs, kittens and mountains that look like boobs when viewed from afar.

Just picture it. God is all sitting on His universal throne, watching pre-human life go by. He then calls an angel over and says, "Dude, check this out. Watch what I do with this monkey." And thus we have the creation of humans and the explanation for evolution.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#65 of 86 Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 AM

I really like this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
Personally, I think He does. To say that He can't share the same things as us lowly, degraded humans is - well, I think that's an insult to Him and THAT simplifies Him. I agree that He is very complex, and that a sense of humor is part of those complexities.

I can just see Him creating the Earth and having a giggle when creating the platypus, the manatee, baby horses and their legs, kittens and mountains that look like boobs when viewed from afar.

Just picture it. God is all sitting on His universal throne, watching pre-human life go by. He then calls an angel over and says, "Dude, check this out. Watch what I do with this monkey." And thus we have the creation of humans and the explanation for evolution.
I agree with your first part, we humans tend to think of ourselves as "gods" in a lot of ways and we inadvertently look down at God Himself!

Here's where I disagree though. A sense of humor is a beautiful thing, no doubt about it. BUT, I think it's some sort of mortal weakness at the same time. Hear me out. Using your example of God having a giggle when creating these things or even finding these things humorous simplifies Him as well. I mean could you really imagine Him not being able to contain Himself while sitting and pointing at the mountains and saying, "hehehe...boobs"?

I'm definitely coming back to this thread though, very enjoyable discussion
#66 of 86 Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 AM

I realize we all are from different backgrounds, so with that in mind...

From my point of view, I try to look at what the Bible says to see who God is and how He conducts Himself. Jesus showed sadness when He wept, He showed anger and indignation when dealing with the money changers in the temple. He showed joy and talked about being filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. God through Jesus did show emotions. This is one of the beauties of the Christian faith. The fact that God became a man, who can totally relate to all that we humans go through, is such a comforting thing to me.
In the Old Testament, David danced with praise to the Lord. This is an expression of joy, rather than humor.
I have felt like God's timing in my life was sort of humorous or ironic, like Bluebirdie's example above, but I am not sure if God meant for it to be ironic or just His perfect timing.

I don't think God's sense of humor is warped like ours is. God is perfectly pure to me with no malice.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#67 of 86 Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 PM

No.

I believe we find things that are done by him, or in his name, or by us are funny. We have great senses of humour (or should) and gd is happy with that.

But I do not think he uses us to have a laugh. But I could be wrong, and good for gd, have a laugh at our expense while the majority walk the earth talking about their brothers and sisters burning in hell.

As a Jew I am happy I don't believe in this hell stuff, but where I live and according to statistics, most people now do. I think god stopped laughing the day humans started condemning eachother. If he didn't? Then that's not my god.

I love laughter, don't get me wrong, I think it one of the best gifts we have. I just don't see god as a felloew human laughing at the same Seinfeld episodes as me, "It was a million to one, doc! A million to one..."
#68 of 86 Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 PM

God has a very good sense of humor and perfect comedic timing.
#69 of 86 Old 05-15-2010, 11:31 PM

Oh ya. God has a sense of humor. He wouldn't give us this wonderful sense of emotion and not have it Himself. This world is too full of wonderfully funny things and the ability to laugh is too innate in us for me to think that God doesn't chuckle now and again.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#70 of 86 Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 AM

I often point my finger upward and say "Good one God, good one"

Mostly I say it when I spill mustard on my shirt at dinner

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#71 of 86 Old 05-20-2010, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well. He made praying mantis. Isn't it true after they mate the female eats the male? I think that is kind of funny...
#72 of 86 Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 AM

I just watched a speech given by Father James Martin on youtube about this very topic!

I absolutely believe God has a sense of humor, and I believe He wants us all to laugh and feel joy. Father James pointed out it was one of the things saints have in common, their joy and humor.

He also said that the parables were rip-roaring funny to their intended crowd. I guess the humor gets lost on us. lol

flowersforyou.gif

#73 of 86 Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post
I just watched a speech given by Father James Martin on youtube about this very topic!

I absolutely believe God has a sense of humor, and I believe He wants us all to laugh and feel joy. Father James pointed out it was one of the things saints have in common, their joy and humor.

He also said that the parables were rip-roaring funny to their intended crowd. I guess the humor gets lost on us. lol
Interesting!

I believe God has a sense of humor, too. Can't think of a good reason why he wouldn't.
#74 of 86 Old 06-18-2010, 03:10 AM

I didnt read all the threads so I'm not sure if anyone posted this reply...

But to me, if you believe that God is the Creator of Everything,
then surely he must have a sense of humor,
because he created the concept of humor itself and the ability for things to be funny (even our ability to "see humor in what God does.")

Despite that rational answer, the hilarity I see in my life I times I believe is DIRECTLY sent from God!! Gotta love it

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#75 of 86 Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM

In his image--so yes

Brussel sprouts taste like butt and chocolate icecream is awesome--so yes

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#76 of 86 Old 06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post
I realize we all are from different backgrounds, so with that in mind...

From my point of view, I try to look at what the Bible says to see who God is and how He conducts Himself. Jesus showed sadness when He wept, He showed anger and indignation when dealing with the money changers in the temple. He showed joy and talked about being filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. God through Jesus did show emotions. This is one of the beauties of the Christian faith. The fact that God became a man, who can totally relate to all that we humans go through, is such a comforting thing to me.
In the Old Testament, David danced with praise to the Lord. This is an expression of joy, rather than humor.
I have felt like God's timing in my life was sort of humorous or ironic, like Bluebirdie's example above, but I am not sure if God meant for it to be ironic or just His perfect timing.

I don't think God's sense of humor is warped like ours is. God is perfectly pure to me with no malice.

You always have something good to say, Shami
You make a really good point here. I think I agree with you. Our understanding of humor is nothing like what God experiences. He may be filled with joy to see His plan unfolding in a way that baffles us, makes us gasp and smile, cry, laugh, etc. But with no malice or negative intentions or undertones. So, you're right. Nothing like what humor means to us. Nothing we could begin to comprehend.
#77 of 86 Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM

But humor with not negative undertones still acknowledges absurdity and the ridiculous situations we get ourselves into. I see so many "patient sighs" in the scriptures, while God waits for us to "get it." That also requires a sense of humor. No, I don't think God thinks things are funny at anyone's expense. But I like the giraffe, platypus, and manatee examples... (anglerfish).
#78 of 86 Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydecki View Post
Absolutely.

Because if you believe all things come from G-d then sense of humor has to be included. How could a being, no matter how great, create this *thing* inside of us that allows us to laugh and see irony in things if G-d did not have that?

It would just seem impossible that humans would have something G-d doesn't.
Psychopathic murderous tendencies? Ok then.
#79 of 86 Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Well... We're made in his image. We know God has hands, a face, a back... etc... We know he has emotions like love... why not humor?
OK. I think we are all talking about different gods. The god I was raised with had no hands, face, or back- unless you mean metaphorically. Yes, we must be speaking of different gods. And in that case, this question gets us nowhere as a group.

We love to paint God with a brush of humor, because as human forms we love humor. But God isn't a human. unless, I guess? , you mean the Christan one? Like did jesus have a sense of humor? In that case... I got nothin'
#80 of 86 Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmueller View Post
In his image--so yes

Brussel sprouts taste like butt and chocolate icecream is awesome--so yes
whoa wait a minute.

brussel sprouts taste waaaaaayyyyy better than butt when you roast them with bacon fat, onions, mushrooms, and salt&pepper.
#81 of 86 Old 09-15-2010, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Boudicca~ View Post
whoa wait a minute.
Brussel sprouts taste waaaaaayyyyy better than butt when you roast them with bacon fat, onions, mushrooms, and salt&pepper.
Okay, I stayed out of this thread because I'm not a believer but you guys are cracking me up with the Brussel sprouts.

And anything with bacon is good, right?
#82 of 86 Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Neat responses! I got distracted with something else and haven't been here as much. (Something else being my little one is older now and less time to hang out here!) I loved reading what you all wrote. I love our different perspectives!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#83 of 86 Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaske View Post
Yes. When the-man-who-is-now-my-husband was in college, he broke up with his internet girlfriend, and told his best friend, "That's it! I'm not going to date anyone else until I've known them for FIVE YEARS!"

Shortly after this, he met me, and we slowly became good acquaintances. Almost five years later, he got a nudge from God to start noticing me, and it took a few more months for me to catch on. We still can't believe that we married each other, of all people.
Ha ha! My husband said he wouldn't even think of getting engaged until he had dated a girl for a year. It was five months from the night we met to the day we got married. I don't see how God could put up with this world if he didn't have a sense of humor. =)

I would also like to cast in a vote for the platypus as evidence!

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#84 of 86 Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 PM

i don't think God has a sense of humor, but this is a funny (?) event that i can really only put in this thread.

MIL is a big catholic, and she had a mass said for my dd's health last week. dd has a type of seizure disorder. well, yesterday, about 4 days since the Mass, dd is diagnosed with respiratory affective disorder otherwise known as asthma. thanks!!! please don't ask for anything else!!
#85 of 86 Old 10-26-2010, 11:30 PM

Of course! Why would he give us a sense of humor if he didn't know the fun of it Himself?!

Plus he writes HILARIOUS things (sometimes it takes a min to catch on for us...) like (when Laban tricked Jacob into marrying Leah instead of Rachel) "...and in the morning, there was Leah" Subtle, yet profoundly FUNNY! BC uh, it was so super important to Jacob, and he loved Rachel sooooo much, but he uh, couldn't tell the dif 'til morning... pphht, is this thing on?

#86 of 86 Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr View Post
Of course! Why would he give us a sense of humor if he didn't know the fun of it Himself?!

Plus he writes HILARIOUS things (sometimes it takes a min to catch on for us...) like (when Laban tricked Jacob into marrying Leah instead of Rachel) "...and in the morning, there was Leah" Subtle, yet profoundly FUNNY! BC uh, it was so super important to Jacob, and he loved Rachel sooooo much, but he uh, couldn't tell the dif 'til morning... pphht, is this thing on?

That IS funny, and I always kind of wondered about that one!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page