struggling with spirituality - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 62 Old 02-05-2004, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to second A Case For Christ. And I love C.S. Lewis. You really should go see Mel Gibsons knew movie the passion of the Christ coming out Feb 25th. He tried to tell the story simply as it was, w/o all the things that we pile on to a belief in Christ as the Son of God and Savior. If you are looking for a Christian perspective w/o propiganda. Trying reading the bible! Do it like it's the first time and you've never read it before! I'd also like to add that doubts are normal and it is a good thing to question what you believe and search deeper!!

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

#62 of 62 Old 02-06-2004, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgot to add, if you're interested in exploring non-Christian faiths, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to... " series are fabulous. I have them on Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. When I had doubts on Christianity, I went through this whole spiritual search. For awhile, I would consider myself only a Monotheist (belief in one God)... but didn't get much more specific. Eventually, it came down to between Islam and Judaism--two remarkably similar faiths at their core. Reading the Qur'an with the rights it gave women back in the 7th century (really...this is not a typo) versus the Bible, as well as Muslims view of Jesus as a Prophet...swung me towards Islam.

Anyway, check out BeliefNet's Belief-o-Matic. It may help you synthesize your beliefs into a few different faiths or sects of Christianity to explore:
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

As for "The Case for Christ"... I tried to read it, but couldn't get into it. I just didn't like his style. I'm sure your local library has a copy though...and some Christians give out copies as an evangelism tool (There's a special edition for that purpose).

One book that I really enjoyed was "When Jesus Became God" by Richard Rubenstein. As somebody who struggles with the whole Jesus as God thing (Jesus worshiped God-the-Father and stressed Monotheism) it helped me solidify some points that I always wondered about. The whole Trinity doctrine wasn't finalized until the 4th century.

May God guide you on your search.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page