Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Galatians 5
Freedom in Christ
1It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9"A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." 10I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. 11Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

13You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature[a]; rather, serve one another in love. 14The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."[b] 15If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
Life by the Spirit
16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

1Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. 2Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, 5for each one should carry his own load.

6Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor.

7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature[a]will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
I was wondering if any christians might want to discuss this with me. Verse 7 keeps popping up out of nowhere for me and maybe Im stupid at the moment but its not sinking in and Im finding it difficult to understand in relation to the other verses around it. So Ive posted the whole of the last 2 chapters in Galatians and wanted to see what other christians say about it?

Now I know these chapters are talking about Sin, the Law and living by the Holy Spirit as opposed to living to the letter of the Law. Beyond that, and how to apply it to my life, what the Lord is teaching me... I dont know!! I just was wondering if anyone would help me understand it better. All denoms are welcome to join in the discussion.

tia.
#2 of 10 Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Such a good passage to think about and wrestle with. I will be praying for you genifer!

Hey, do you access to any commentaries by Barclay?

I found this for you to peruse! http://www.textweek.com/pauline/gal5.htm

Also, I believe Dietrich Bonhoeffer discusses this in many of his sermons/texts but The Cost of Discipleship comes to mind.

#3 of 10 Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cost_of_Discipleship

Good stuff Hot Mama! I found The Cost of Discipleship at Wikipedia... I like it, good stuff. So true, I can remember God asking me 'Do you know what you are going to have to give up to follow Me?' I can remember that distinctly. I think alot of Christianity... as I know it... kind of takes the easy road, many people are Christians, but not disciples. Not a whole lot of counting the cost in the churches Ive been in. I think sin is played down in church today bc its hard and sounds mean, but its not mean at all to admit we're sinners in desperate NEED of a Savior. Its like throwing out the baby and keeping the dirty bath water, thinking we've held on to the important bit. We want part of it but not all of it. This has been my experience anyway. Its not easy, but its definately rewarding, I can say that much. The rewards do not compare to the hardship in any way. Ive gone thru difficulties and, ya know, during them I HATE it! I have gotten so angry with God for 'allowing' me to go thru difficulties only to come thru the other end completely unscathed and thinking 'Its hardly fair I only had to go thru that to get SO close to God and learn SO much about Him thru it.' The peace in Knowing Christ surely passes any kind of human understanding.
#4 of 10 Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to post on this, but I need to do a little more studying of it myself first.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-07-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Evie'smom, I look forward to hearing what you have to say! Ive been reading and rereading chapter five. Whats happened is that ch 6v7 kept popping up out of NOwhere so I checked it out and had to gain and understanding of it IN context and I think ch 5 is a good place to begin.

Gal 6:7 is a really powerful verse to me... it gets me right to the core. But Im getting stuck in and going deeper with it so I can understand exactly what God is saying to me in it... here it is..

Quote:
7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows
Now, that verse, on its own, sounds like its talking about sin alone, but I dont think it is. When taken in context with everything going on in ch's 5 & 6, I think its talking about returning to a place of false worship(???), man-made religious law... its talking specifically about Judaisers and the ot law and how if you come to Christ then go back to the Law, the Grace of Christ is unprofitable to you anymore. You are trying to take your salvation into your own hands. Not walking in the Spirit, even if you say you are 'trying to live right... by the Law'... bc in other places it says (romans I think) that a person cannot be saved by the Law, the Law is designed to convince people of their need for God, and even earilier in this book I think it says that a person who tries to please God by obeying the Law is absolutely required to obey the entire Law. Its like its saying 'Dont be silly, God is hard and requires a lot of you... you think you can do it, go ahead and try but Im telling you (God saying this) ... you cant do it... Here's how Ive made a way....... In Christ'

Now following on from that is Life in the Spirit, or walking in the Spirit. It says in 5v16

Quote:
16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
In other words, if we are walking in the Holy Spirit we dont have to worry about the letter of the Law bc we are learning to walk in it... which can truely only be done IF we are filled with and walking in the Holy Spirit.

This is as far as Ive gotten. I think its going to take days or weeks of pouring over these two chapters to get out of it what I think God is trying to teach me.

I look forward to everyone else's responses and understanding here!

God bless!!
Gen
#6 of 10 Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 AM

Good thoughts genifer! I enjoyed reading them. I do not have a lot of time right now to respond but I wanted to say hi.

: I hope your day is filled with Joy and Truth.
#7 of 10 Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#8 of 10 Old 07-11-2009, 02:18 AM

The pastor at the church where I used to go did a whole summer of Galatians. It was awesome! We read the book Travelling Light by Eugene Peterson, which is a study on Galatians.

When he got to the verse about "a man reaps what he sows" the discussion was about how the way we live affects our communities. If we're caught up in ourselves and what's important to only us, our communities suffer. Certainly there are folks who "follow all the rules" and couldn't care less about someone in their community suffering. That was their perspective. I loved that study!!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#9 of 10 Old 07-11-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer View Post
In other words, if we are walking in the Holy Spirit we dont have to worry about the letter of the Law bc we are learning to walk in it... which can truely only be done IF we are filled with and walking in the Holy Spirit.
Yes! And all those good things (fruits, love, joy, etc.) just happen! They are the qualities of the Holy Spirit and are in our lives when we live in the Spirit. And the bad things (lust, deceitfulness, etc.) also "happen" when we are focused on ourselves and other things.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#10 of 10 Old 07-11-2009, 05:26 PM

I have enjoyed this! I should actually go and read it now....

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page