Do you believe in God? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm asking this here b/c I wanted to get some answers from those who believe as well as some athiests as well. If you don't why? If you do why?

I'm not asking as an inflammatory question just as one who is changing in my beliefs right now.
#2 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 AM

Yes. I suppose I do because I don't believe in accidents. I have looked in to other theories and none makes as much sense as God, to me. I just think about how complicated everything is, and I feel like that has to be from a divine entity. And I also believe in miracles and have seen a few, so that helps me to believe.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#3 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 02:38 AM

No, I don't. The idea of a supreme being has never made sense to me. There are thousands and probably millions of versions of "God" in people all over the world, and if it was so innate and inherent that there was a higher being, I believe these versions would be much more similar than they are. There are many other reasons I don't believe in god as well.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
No, I don't. I don't believe that humans are superior to the rest of the animal kingdom. If a lion, frog, grasshopper, or bluejay just ... dies ... when it dies, then so do we, and I'm okay with that.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 03:30 AM

No, I don't and here's a quote that sort of sums up why:

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference." -Dawkins
#6 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 AM

I believe that God or some other higher power may or may not exist. I also believe that we as humans will forever be incapable of proving that God or someother higher power does or does not exist.

I believe this because I see all evidence for one or the other as being interpritable for either side and the only way to see it as proving one or the other is look at it with a biased mind set.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#7 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 AM

I do not believe in god and never did. I have seen/heard/felt no compelling evidence to the contrary. I just cannot believe in something without any evidence.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#8 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post
I do not believe in god and never did. I have seen/heard/felt no compelling evidence to the contrary. I just cannot believe in something without any evidence.
Yup.
#9 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM

No. There is zero evidence to support the existence of god. I believe in looking at the evidence in every other facet of my life, so why should religion be different?

I tried very hard for many years to believe in god, trying different denominations. But at the end of the day, I just don't believe, and I really never have. I just started being honest about it.

I come from a Christian tradition. When I took a hard look at the origins of Christianity, and looked at who wrote the gospels, when they were written and how they changed over time, it all fell apart quickly. I got tired of the mental gymnastics that believers have to perform in order to explain away all the conflicting attributes of god.
#10 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Yes. I believe in God. I have yet to hear compelling arguments against Him.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#11 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't. I have no reason to, I have seen no evidence of a deity. Also, I have reasons for disbelieving in the god concepts of which I am aware.
#12 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 AM

I do.
#13 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 AM

I, as well, am an atheist. I need concrete evidence of something before I will believe it. Science has shown an overwhelming amount of evidence that there is no God or a need for one in the creation of the universe. However, if it came to light one day that God or a supreme creator does exist, through scientific evidence, I would believe. This has yet to happen.

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#14 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 11:49 AM

When people ask IRL they don't want a long answer generally, so I call myself an atheist. I do not believe in a personal god entity that dictates books to people and listens to prayers, etc.

I really consider myself a bit of a deist, though. I think the universe is an amazingly complex place (I do think others might exist). What existed before the universe? Maybe energy has always existed. I think some type of energy had to cause the universe to come into being. Perhaps it's an entirely natural energy, or maybe it's beyond our understanding, or maybe it's the kind of "universal energy" some religions/philosophies talk about. That's the kind of "god" I believe in.

I guess I would be the most atheistic type of deist. Most that I'm aware of believe in a God with some measure of awareness, like an actual being, even if they think He set the universe in motion and then just let it be.

Me , DH , Emmy (5/08), and new baby Tilda (1/10)
#15 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 PM

I do. I have been raised a Christian. Over the period of my life, I have embarked on a journey of learning about God, the Bible and Christian traditions. Even though I do have some questions and some things that are unclear, there are things that have happened and continue to happen throughout my life that I simply can not write off as coincidences. At times, I stop and look around in awe of the beauty of my surroundings and in those moments feel there has to be a supreme being, a Creator of this beautiful universe.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#16 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

I found this movie to be just mind blowing. It comprised of three parts: first is about religion/Christ, second is about Sept. 11 and the last is about the government. So, if you watch the first third of the movie, I promise you will never be able to look at the concept of a religion the same way ever again. Will give you some major goosebumps (in a good, aha, kind of a way)
Here is the link http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#
#17 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

forgot to mention, the movie shows you that god IS the sun! please forgive me for repeating it, but this documentary is just mind blowing!
#18 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Me too.
#19 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Me too (or three or four or whatever we're up to now). I believe in science, nature, etc. but not a supreme being who lives in the sky and created the world. There's absolutely no compelling evidence of such a thing.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#20 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 PM

"I don't believe; I know." -Carl Jung

I could talk your ear off about why, undoubtedly putting you straight to sleep on your keyboard, but you know who sums up my feelings perfectly and much more eloquently? C.S. Lewis. A former athiest, he was someone whose faith was happily married to reason, and I find his talks on God quite lucid. (One quote of his I like: "I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.") If you need a good place to start on why you might rationally consider belief, I cheerfully recommend his book, "Mere Christianity."

There are also some highly regarded scientists and other cerebral folk who've written books on how they've come to believe in some higher being because of their scientific work and how the universe is designed, etc., etc., and I can look those up for you (or anyone else reading this) if interested. (Their names, of course, escape me at the moment, because guys like Richard Dawkins get more press.)

All that said, however... as much as I depend on reason to help me understand (as best a mortal can) my place in the universe, and the Big Guy's, too, I also allow for sacred mystery. One can either be insulted by the idea that one will never, in this realm, know or understand everything there is to know about God, or one can embrace it. I choose to embrace it. Others will think me a fool for saying that, I'm sure, and say I shouldn't believe in anything that can't be proven by our human scientific methods... but that is the nature of faith, is it not? There is something inside of me that pulls me inexorably toward my Abba, and all the Dawkins in the world cannot change that. Sorry, Richard.

I love God, even when all His ineffability drives me nuts. I've come to see Him not as some angry or distant Thing, but as an actual Personality. And so if you ask Him to help you find Him and you mean it (even if the prayer you croak out feels weird or like you're praying into a dead telephone), He will respond. Might not be right away (His timing is also a sacred mystery, it seems like), but He will. So try to stay open. He respects our choices (even when they're wrong) and will not strong-arm you into believing. Wouldn't it be easier if He did? (Of course, that still doesn't mean we'd all be Mother Teresas or whatever. Satan believes in God, too, and look what he's up to. )

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
#21 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM

Yes. Whole heartedly.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#22 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM

I do not believe in the existence of any gods (goddesses, supreme being/s). The question the way asked has the bias of a god existing and then you are asking us whether or not we choose to believe in said god or not. In actuality most atheist don't believe a god exist to believe in, big difference.
Anyway, I have found no signs, proof, reasons etc that any gods exist and the gods of religions seem so obviously man-made to me (not trying to be disrespectful but it is a reason I don't think a god exist).

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#23 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Well this sure is a deep discussion. I'm going to read for a bit before coming back with my thoughts.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#24 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Yes. Because ... I can? Belief in a conscious creative force or disbelief in that force are at their core options without a lot of evidence. They're opinions. To a certain extent they're simply preferences. There are certainly elements of religions that make more or less sense, are more or less able to be disproven, but the basic concept of a creator god ... no one knows anything. (Which I suppose makes me read as agnostic, but the cool thing about an opinion about which there are no facts to be had is anyone can hold a strong one while totally acknowledging there's no significant basis for it, because hey, there's no basis for anything else either.)

All of that said, even as a believer I will say that the strong track record of humans trying -- and demonstrably failing -- to explain natural processes through supernatural means gives a good argument to disbelief.
#25 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Oops, I forgot to say why I believe in God. It's because I think there has to be something that exists beyond the material, beyond space and time, that is the cause of everything we can perceive. It gives me the answers to the question of why we're here, what is our ultimate purpose of existing. Science alone can't answer that question, and I find that deeply unsatisfying.
#26 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I found this movie to be just mind blowing. It comprised of three parts: first is about religion/Christ, second is about Sept. 11 and the last is about the government. So, if you watch the first third of the movie, I promise you will never be able to look at the concept of a religion the same way ever again. Will give you some major goosebumps (in a good, aha, kind of a way)
Here is the link http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#
It might be more compelling if more of the things said in it were actually correct. It didn't change the way I look at religion in the slightest. It tries to compare the story of Christ with other religions but the information given about other religions is simply inaccurate.

For instance,

Horus was *not* born of a virgin, he was *not* born in December (but...neither was Jesus so I don't understand that being a point) there is *no* story of a star preceding his birth he was never referred to as "The Truth" he was not a teacher at the age of twelve. There is no reference to three kings surrounding the birth of Horus. Horus did have a father, Osiris.

Horus *never* died, he was *not* crucified. Horus was not resurrected, his father was. Horus merged with Ra who was the Sun God. He did *not* have twelve disciplines, he had closer to twenty.

Dionysus was *not* born of a virgin. He certainly performed miracles involving wine, he was the God of wine. He was *not* born in December but the Spring. His father was Zeus, who certainly had other male children (Apollo, Aries, Hermes, Hercules, Hephaestus, Perseus, Minos) so he was *not* his only begotten son. He was *not* called the "King of Kings" or the "Alpha and Omega" he was the God of wine. He is reborn in the spring and dies in the winter...which is longer than three days.

I do believe in God.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#27 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Yes - but more in the Buddhist sense of their being a kind of divine energy that connects all things to each other, rather than in a "being" kind of sense. I think you can tap into this energy. I feel that everyone is connected by a very thin, thin kind of "fishing line" to the divine source. And the purpose of life is to make that connection strong and thick! Like a giant pipeline. To always feel it and feel it very strongly. I feel that our great spiritual leaders like Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, and Buddha (and many, many others) were able to do this. That each come at a different time and place to show us way to strengthen our connection to that energy.

I think that this divine energy is shaped by the people and things on earth. So before we had "self-reflective consciousness" we had a different kind of divine energy. And as we develop more "interconnected consciousness" that divine energy will change.

I feel that humans are like "wet sand." We're independent and kind "stuck together" like a sand castle. When we die, I think there will NEVER be another entity just like me. I'm unique and only live once. I feel like those grains of sand that are held together as "me" will dry up and join a great big beach again. Some of the grains of sand will go on and get constituted into a "wet human" but they'll never be the same configuration of grains of sand again.

For the record, I belong to the Unity Church and consider myself a Christian and this is all in line with our philosophy. Our church has no dogma and there are people within the church who do believe in re-incarnation. It just never made a lot of sense to me.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#28 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 PM

No, not at this time.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#29 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:36 PM

I believe, at a minimum, that something was needed to get the universe rolling. I call that "god" but creator is just as good. I have not found anyone who can explain to me how the universe got here without a god. I just can't. Some people do not find that a convincing enough argument but it works for me.

Beyond that - I just do not know. I have thoughts and personal stories that do not add up without a god - but no proof - yk?

FWIW - I very much separate religion from the question of whether god exists. I personally know people who hate organized religion, and have thus decided god does not exist (or this is what they have articulated to me). The two do not corelate, IMHO.

Kathy
#30 of 182 Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM

I don't believe . . . I absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page