God, religion, spirituality - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes, I believe in God and I'm part of an organized religion 60 41.38%
Yes, I believe in God but I'm not part of an organized religion 18 12.41%
I'm unsure, undecided or agnostic 7 4.83%
No I don't believe in God 26 17.93%
I believe in something but don't define it as or call it God 26 17.93%
other 8 5.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other thread asking "do you believe in God" had me wishing there was a poll. So I decided to make one. This isn't meant to replace the other thread, I just wanted to see easy to read poll results.
#2 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 AM

I am agnostic and voted as such, but honestly I don't think it should be grouped with unsure and undecided. I have both decided and am sure that what I believe is true. I mean, technically it can't not be true right? Either there is a God or higher power or there isn't a God or higher power. Which is what I believe, there may or may not be a God.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 AM

Glad you posted this - I was thinking a poll would have been great added on to that thread.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 AM

If you can count Unitarian Universalism as "organized"... I wasn't sure whether to say organized or not organized.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#5 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 AM

I voted other. We follow Asatru and believe in several gods, not just a single god.
#6 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Other.

Don't believe in a god, but part of an organized religion.
#7 of 13 Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm an omnitheist. I believe religions belong to certain cultures and time periods and to if you are in that culture and time period then that religion is probably right for you, but to force your religion on others not of your culture or to adhere to out of date theological ideals is inappropriate. So I'm the pro-God anti-Organized corner.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#8 of 13 Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM

other. i don't believe in god, but i'm part of an organized religion-- such as it is. quakers tend to be long on action but short on bureaucracy.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#9 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 03:32 AM

I voted other, because I'm a polytheist. I believe in *all* gods--although I don't worship all of them, I believe all belief systems to be valid. Personally I believe that there is a God...and a Goddess!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#10 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPassenger View Post
Other.

Don't believe in a god, but part of an organized religion.
me too. UU atheist here.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#11 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 04:54 PM

I'm a Chabadnik
#12 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 PM

I voted that I believe in God and belong to an organized religion. I'm a lifelong Anglican (Episcopalian here in the US). I also spend time at divinity school so you'd think I'd be pretty dogmatic, but my beliefs are somewhat loose regarding tghe person of God

I'm with Jaesun's Dad. I believe that there is one spiritual something...afterlife? Creative spirit? Wisdom? Word? That speaks to the heart of each believer in a way that speaks in the way that will most make cultural sense to that believer and bring him/her closer to the Truth. Not to be too trite, but I think that there's one Heaven and we're all on different busses to get there!

So, given that, I'm totally comfortable with my God of the Anglican faith because of who and what I am and when, where and to whom I was born, though I trend towards a female understanding of the Spirit (like most of the Episcopalians I know). I also have a healthy dose of sort of a twilight belief in the world of more earthy spirits. I think this is a direct inheritance from my very English mother (I moved to the US as a teen). I think that of all the Christian nations of the world, the UK has managed to hold on to its heresies the best! We love our faeries and our little household superstitions.

My answer to the poll is a true one but it doesn't begin to cover the depth and breadth of my actual conception about God. But it's a great idea to have the poll...I was thinking the same thing.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#13 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM

I God!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page