question about Mormon baptism - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 31 Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay Corasmama. I love the hope of the Lord. I love how you described this.

I was going to say (regarding the 8 year old thing) that sometimes I think it *is done* because it is the expected thing to do. However, it's not supposed to. I have specifically taught my children that they will be the ones to choose to be baptized; and I would be willing for them to wait if they needed longer to make the decision. When I was the "Primary President" (similar to a "children's pastor" in some churches) for a few years, I specifically used phrases like "when you choose to be baptized" instead of "when you get baptized" because this particular difference is very, very important to me.

I'm very into not taking any of my children's free agency--it's their greatest gift from God, and not my right to take it (of course, as a parent, sometimes we have to define parameters for spiritual, moral, or physical safety, which they *feel* takes their free agency away...).

Sometimes (young) people go on missions because it's "the thing to do," and end up with a crisis of faith when they start teaching and aren't actually sure exactly how much or what they believe. My children are being taught they get to choose, and that choice is their dearest possession, a gift from God.
Sponsored Links

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page