Cain, Veggies, and God - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This story got brought up in another thread and I thought it would make an interesting discussion. You can read the King James Version http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...04&version=KJV

Let's start with whatever thoughts or questions you have! We'll see where this discussion takes us!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM

It had nothin to do with the veggies... It was all about Cain's heart and what lay therein...
#3 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It also stands out to me that when it speaks of Abel's offering, it was the firstlings (or first fruits in other versions). The same is not said of Cain's offering. So it could be said that the displeasure God showed him was because he did not bring the first and best of what he had, but was selfish and kept those for himself.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 PM

that is a very good point actually... off to check that out. Been thinking a bit about giving God my first and my all lately...
#5 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Regarding the comment made in the other thread that God hates vegetarians - how could that be when God created Adam and Eve as vegetarians?
#6 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 PM

I missed that comment, lol. Apparently, depending on who you listen to God hates lots of people...
#7 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 PM

The God hating vegetarians idea is weird to me. I just don't see it anywhere in the Bible. The Bible is quite clear though that the eating of meat is acceptable. But, as with anything, we are not to judge others on whether or not they decide to exercise their freedom to either partake or not in it.

For instance:

Genesis 9:3 - Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

Dietary laws given to the Jews are very specific about the kinds of meat they can eat and the ways they can eat them.

References to Jesus eating meat (particularly fish) in the New Testament.

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png

#8 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that God intends us to be vegetarians now (not that it's a bad thing to be one, either), just that in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were vegetarians.

Gen 1:9 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.
#9 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that God intends us to be vegetarians now (not that it's a bad thing to be one, either), just that in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were vegetarians.

Gen 1:9 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.
I agree with you. I hope you don't think my comment before was directed against you, I should have explained myself better.

I believe humans and all animals were originally created vegetarian until after the fall when death entered the world. The the eating of animals began. This would explain God restating himself to Adam and Eve to explain that they could eat animals the way he had given them license to eat plants.

#10 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
I agree with you. I hope you don't think my comment before was directed against you, I should have explained myself better.

I believe humans and all animals were originally created vegetarian until after the fall when death entered the world. The the eating of animals began. This would explain God restating himself to Adam and Eve to explain that they could eat animals the way he had given them license to eat plants.
#11 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post

I've also heard it preached that after Jesus returns and we live in Paradise that we'll go back to being vegetarians...interesting thought.

I also agree that it was Cain's HEART that made God upset. You'll also notice that God gave him the chance to try again and he still had a bad attitude.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#12 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I've also heard it preached that after Jesus returns and we live in Paradise that we'll go back to being vegetarians...interesting thought.

I also agree that it was Cain's HEART that made God upset. You'll also notice that God gave him the chance to try again and he still had a bad attitude.
I believe the first animal killing in the bible was done by God when he made skins for Adam and Eve to wear.

Not only did Cain not bring the best--the first would've been some of his harvest of course but included the whole of the best plants foods--roots and all as my pastor had explained once a long time ago. As an animal offerring would've taken the best from the herd thus ending that herds bloodline also. But of course--It all does go back to his heart. It wasn't good.

Remember Danny, Meschach and friends only ate veggies and water I think to grow strong and did not eat meat and wine. Something along those lines but became stronger than the king's men...

I don't think God cares whether or not you are veggie but cares about the thanks in your heart for the provisions He has provided you.

Type on!

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#13 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

LOL I actually created a Bible study out of this story at one point in time...

A couple of things that I found interesting about Cain:

- God warns him that sin will take over his life: So the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it."

- Sin takes over VERY quickly. The first sin was when Adam and Eve disobeyed God. One of the next big sins is the first murder. It's crazy if you think about it.

- on the offering: Proverbs 21:27 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination; How much more when he brings it with wicked intent!

- One of the things I found interesting was that Cain tried to lie to God WHILE HE STILL HAD BLOOD ON HIM. That really confused me.

#14 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
- One of the things I found interesting was that Cain tried to lie to God WHILE HE STILL HAD BLOOD ON HIM. That really confused me.
No one said Cain was a smart man.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#15 of 15 Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 PM

I don't think that the Bible is an evil book. Of course, the Bible is not evil, it is a work of fiction. The problem arises when people believe that the fictional deity of the Bible exists. The evil God of the Bible is fiction, like the evil gods of the Odyssey. Of course, the Bible pictures a monstruous deity, that likes blood shed, and hates vegetarians, homosexuals, and Phoenicians. Remember, that the Bible is fiction, and has evil characters, like God. An all powerful and evil God makes the narrative more interesting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page