Why Pray? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 36 Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently finished a book by Kate Braestrup (a UU minister) that was about prayer.  She was also the key note speaker at my church's women's retreat and preached at our service on that Sunday.  Her sermon was on prayer and it was so beautiful.  We were all in tears by the time it was over.  If I can find a link to a podcast, I will post it... but basically (and I agree with her) she said that prayer doesn't work to give us everything we ask for, instead it works to open our hearts to be able to recognize and experience Love (her definition of God) all around us, and especially in our darkest moments.

Now, I'm off to look for that podcast... I can post a link to a podcast, can't I?

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM

with any luck!

#33 of 36 Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM

http://allsoulschurch.libsyn.com/hope-is-a-thing-with-fangs

Here is the podcast... mods if I'm not supposed to post this, I'm sorry... but it's just such a beautiful sermon, on just this topic

P.S.  you'll probably want to have a box of tissues handy

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#34 of 36 Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

To me, prayer is just like talking to J- it keeps the lines of communication open. If I am taking the time to talk to God, and then to be still, I am more open to hearing Him lead me.  Even if it's not in that moment, I am still leaving communication open.

And I agree with the PP that broke prayer down into sections.

As a Catholic, though, I want to add one more- Spiritual Warfare.  We have the Rosary, a huge weapon against Satan.  It is not only a chance for us to meditate on the life of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, but in doing so we are taking away Satan's power- we are totally focusing on Our Lord- His life and His ministry.  It's hard to let Satan in when you are making Our Lord the center of your life.

Proud Catholic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(30) and mama to V
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10)
#35 of 36 Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The other day my priest told me a great story about prayer.  

A young monk was told by his elder to take an old bushel basket and go draw water from the river.  He did as he was told but by the time he returned all the water had of course run out.  His elder told him to try again.  He tried  again and again and each time the result was the same.  He asked his elder why he must continue with such a task.  He is not seeing any results.  He has not managed to get any water back to the elder.  The elder responded that it may be true he has not gotten any water back but to look at the basket.  How had it changed?  The monk replied the it had been caked with dirt and grime but now it was clean.  The elder told him that this is how it is with prayer.  As our prayers move through us they change the one who bears them.  Its not always about the results of the prayers themselves but the work done by the act of saying them.  Thats a a paraphase....a bad one but you get the jist hopefully.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#36 of 36 Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 AM

In Islam, there are two types of "prayers."

There is du'a... supplication...which you do anytime, anyplace.  Those are the, "Oh please God help me pass my calculus test" type things.

Salat is the required prayer that Muslims say five times per day.  While one can make du'a after it, the main focus is not on what you need/want but on worshiping God.  It's not about you, it's about God.  We are supposed to stop what we're doing five times per day and just be grateful for all that we have.  It's also a way to stop what you're doing... especially if you're going down the wrong path... and re-evaluate. The positions of prayer in Islam are about submission and humility.  During the prayer, you bow at your waist, and say, "Glory to God the Almighty"... then at a later point.. your basically prostrating on the ground, sort of like pose of the child in yoga, saying, "Glory to God the Most High."  There's a story that goes basically if you took a bath five times per day, how dirty could you get?  By praying five times per day, you're more likely to avoid sin (hopefully).

Salat is also viewed as more blessed if it is done with other people.  It's said that God multiplies one's good deeds x27 if one prays with at least one other person.  So, it's about community as well.  It's about a family joining together ideally five times per day, but realistically maybe 3, to pray together and worship together.

Muslims also say, "Trust in God, but tie your camel."  (I guess today we'd say "lock your car.") 

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page