What's the difference between God and religion? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought I'd start this thread because I am always torn. If I want to talk about God, do I post it in the spirituality forum? or the religious studies forum?
I think it's interesting that the discussions among Christians are most often in here, while other religious descussions take place in the spirituality forum...?
Personally, I consider myself spiritual, a Christian, but not religious.

Just curious to see if anyone has anything interesting to say about this.
#2 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 AM

I don't really get the question?

The spirituality forum is as I understand it support only; religious studies is open to debate. Where you would post would have to do with what type of conversation you're looking to have and whether your question is a matter of debate or something more personal. ("What do you think about ..." vs. "I feel like ...")

That there are more Religious Studies questions on broader Christianity isn't particularly surprising ... there are far more Christians represented here than any other religious group. Personally, as a member of a religious group with small representation on this board, if I have a debatable issue I am probably taking it to either my faith's "tribe" thread or, more likely, somewhere off of this board entirely. I'm just not really that interested in debating issues of my faith with people who neither believe in it nor (it is generally reasonable to assume) know that much about it.
#3 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I don't really get the question?

The spirituality forum is as I understand it support only; religious studies is open to debate. Where you would post would have to do with what type of conversation you're looking to have and whether your question is a matter of debate or something more personal. ("What do you think about ..." vs. "I feel like ...")

That there are more Religious Studies questions on broader Christianity isn't particularly surprising ... there are far more Christians represented here than any other religious group. Personally, as a member of a religious group with small representation on this board, if I have a debatable issue I am probably taking it to either my faith's "tribe" thread or, more likely, somewhere off of this board entirely. I'm just not really that interested in debating issues of my faith with people who neither believe in it nor (it is generally reasonable to assume) know that much about it.

Yeah. That.

But to answer the title question, G!d is G!d. And religion is how various peoples choose to relate to G!d.
#4 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 08:32 AM

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#5 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdiemama View Post
I just thought I'd start this thread because I am always torn. If I want to talk about God, do I post it in the spirituality forum? or the religious studies forum?

I think it's interesting that the discussions among Christians are most often in here, while other religious descussions take place in the spirituality forum...?
Personally, I consider myself spiritual, a Christian, but not religious.

Just curious to see if anyone has anything interesting to say about this.
I generally see it this way. A religion is set of beliefs and practices about the world and our place in it; often codified by someone other than the person themselves. God is a term that people use to express their understanding of someone/something greater than themselves. They may or may not go together depending on who you ask. In todays secular world though, any reference to God is often mistakenly assumed to refer to religion.

The whole religious studies vs spirituality is because the spirituality forum is support only. So we can't debate religious concepts or teachings there.
#6 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 01:27 PM

I think of religion as man's way to try to understand God or to make up rules to make themselves feel or seem righteous. God reveals Himself to people, first to the israelites as told in the Old Testament, then thru Jesus Christ. Thats how I see the difference between the two.
#7 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 PM

God is much bigger than religion. Religion is worldly in my estimate, in that it is our attempt to understand how to live in the world, and worship in the world. Truth/God is not concerned with the material world/outward pursuits. Religion is one way we attempt to understand God's will for our lives. God is beyond religion. To equate and understanding of God with say Christianity for example would be leaving out a large part of the world's people who believe in God. I like Snatam Kaur's song By Thy Grace as an example for this. She sings Allah, Jehovah, Rama, Sa-Ta-Na-Ma... and that is just the tip of the names of God.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#8 of 12 Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM

Some people don't think you need religion to get to God.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#9 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
Some people don't think you need religion to get to God.
and some people don't think you need God to have religion.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#10 of 12 Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM

I think there are lots of people who prefer the "spiritual" label vs. religious label because in some circles, being viewed as religious can be associated with being intolerant, extremist, etc. Like, if I was to say I'm a religious Muslim to somebody, most Americans would take a few steps back. There are also those who are spiritual, and culturally xyz faith--but they may or may not accept the tenants 100% of that faith. :

My guess is that there are a lot of Mamas on MDC who fall into the spiritual but not religious camp.

God existed before religions did. God will exist after. I don't think any religion has a 100% accurate picture of God. Not that it's intentional, just reality.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#11 of 12 Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM

I take on a more spiritual level rather than religious and I believe religions are mainly manmade concepts about God and they all have rules that have to be followed but based upon my own beliefs and research I don't think God really has anything to with religion. We came to earth to create and experience and religion in my mind is something we made up rather than something that was started by God or something required by God for people to follow. The real path to God is personal and inward rather than outward though this does not mean there is something wrong with religions which are a great tool when used for good purposes.
#12 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 AM

http://www.ministrybooks.org/books.c...2%25%2FH%20%0A

This is an excerpt from a book called Christ versus Religion by Witness Lee.
Excellent read and eye opening.

The basic idea in this book is that Christ is a Person, who can live inside of you, and supply you with the divine life of God. So, living inside of you is God's wisdom, peace, joy, love, righteousness, light, etc. Through Christ, you can have God living inside of you, so you don't need religion. Religion being a set of rules and regulations which are outside of you and weigh heavy on you. The letter (Law) kills, but the Spirit gives life. Christ Himself will regulate your living through a loving relationship with Him.

Remember in the good Samaritan passage, it was the religious ones who walked by and did nothing for the man in the street. You could even say that it was religion itself that beat the man and left him there. I know many many people who have been beat up by religion and religious people. It was the good Samaritan (not a positive place to be from, considered unclean), who came and poured oil and wine in his wounds.

It was Jesus, who broke the Sabbath and took them out to eat in the cornfields because they were hungry. It seems to be a deliberate breaking of the Sabbath in order to care for people above the Law. Religion cares for its' do's and don'ts above the people.

The Law served it's purpose for the children of Israel, but Christ is higher than the Law. Actually, the Law still serves a purpose for those who have not yet received Jesus. In addition, Galatians says that the Law is a child contuctor until we meet Christ (paraphrasing). I am raising my child under the Law of God, until she one day hopefully receive Christ, who will be her inward Law. On one hand I love the Law, don't get me wrong. The Law was what God gave to the children of Israel to help them and also to show them who God is. I love the Old Testament because it has types and figures which all point to Christ Jesus. On the other hand the Law can kill us spiritually, but the Spirit gives life.

What every believer needs is to taste that the Lord is good. Eat, assimilate and digest the word of God (Bible) every day for your food, nourishment, and sustenance. You are what you eat! If you eat the Word of God you become more and more like Him everyday. This is something that happens organically and inwardly, not because someone told you to behave a certain way.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page