The Inquisitions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any good resources on the inquisitions from the Churches point of view?
#2 of 9 Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 PM

John Paul II:

http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=1058

http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2inqui.htm

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...nc-itc_en.html
#3 of 9 Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
#4 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I checked out the links. Thanks for posting them, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I'm looking for historical info on what led up to them and the churches reasoning at the time. I'm not looking for modern day apologies, or the usual stuff vilifying the church, that is easy to find. I want to hear the perspectives held at the time by those making the decisions.
#5 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 AM

The Trials of Joan of Arc is a great read. Trial transcripts written by the church at the time, really shows the type of infractions they were worried about.
#6 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 AM

Ardruina, Im not sure you'll find anything like what you're looking for from a church's perspective bc it wasnt a religious endeavor to be honest. It was purely political. The church will have tried to justify it at the time but it was the political powers that be that used religion as a tool for their own means.
#7 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Ok I checked out the links. Thanks for posting them, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I'm looking for historical info on what led up to them and the churches reasoning at the time. I'm not looking for modern day apologies, or the usual stuff vilifying the church, that is easy to find. I want to hear the perspectives held at the time by those making the decisions.
Which inquisition and during which period? The Inquisition was always a sort of stop and start kind of thing, dating from the persecution of the Cathars and other heretics in the 13th century (or, possibly, earlier).

There were independent inquisitions in Spain, Portugal, various independent duchies of what is now France, and the Italian city states, to name only a few. Also, each major city could have it's own, somewhat independent, inquisition. For example, in Portugal, there was an inquisitorial court in Lisbon, Evora, Coimbra, as well as in Goa. The Spanish set up inquisitorial courts in Cartagena, Lima, and Mexico City to police their colonies.

As genifer alluded to, there was always a very strong political component to the inquisitions. Also, some scholars maintain a strong economic motivation -- destroying the emergent middle classes -- for some of the inquisitions. Moreover, if someone was arrested by most inquisitions, his/her property was forfeit, so there was a strong motivation to arrest and convict so that revenue would keep flowing to the inquisition and, sometimes, to the powers that be in the government.

Because there was so little centralization of inquisitorial power, I'm not sure you're going to find what you're looking for. No one, at that time, is going to write, "I think it's all a crock but we have to do it because the King/Duke/whoever wants to get rid of dissent and maintain wealth."

Have you visited your local library? Done some online research? There's a good general (but weighty and very scholarly) history of the Spanish Inquisition by B. Netanyahu called "The Origins of the Inquisition." You might take a look at that.
#8 of 9 Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM

William A. Walsh Characters of the Inquisition available through TAN books or Amazon.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#9 of 9 Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelpea View Post
William A. Walsh Characters of the Inquisition available through TAN books or Amazon.
Thank you, I just ordered a copy after reading the reviews!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page