Christian Signatures on MDC - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 08-28-2010, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
I don't see why people lump together all these things together. Some of the things above have basis in scripture and some do not...I believe in being submissive to my husband (I pretty much suck at it but I try...), but of course when people hear "submissive" they think I'm being abused...and being pro-life doesn't make me anti-women. My overall point is it makes me sick to think that the above things are all lumped together and people judge me so quickly.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#62 of 77 Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Re: views of Christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post
Again, this is probably only true because extremists speak loudest and make the most lasting impressions.
There is that, especially in the large forums like politics, media and church doctrines, statements and stuff. Hate and scandal sell.

However, when I think Christian (just so you know), I think of all kinds of associations. I think of MLK and I think of what little I know of Jesus who seems like he was a pretty cool dude. But, then Jesus seems like someone who probably wouldn't be down with most of my negative associations with Christianity. For instance, my mom's friend who has never uttered a single loving word in the name of Christ but does not miss a beat when it comes to telling the world how un-Christian they are. She's just one person but there are "official" views of of some churches that I feel are immoral. But, then I have friends who I absolutely LOVE and who I find to be completely 100% ethical who are Christians and they are another of my many associations with Christianity. There are also some Churches that I'm sure are WONDERFUL.

In other words, Christianity is a very large religion with hugely different groups from all over the world. While you may be hearing frustration from people when particular churches are involved in scandal or are involved in a heated political issue, I think the vast majority of people recognize how diverse that religion is.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#63 of 77 Old 08-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Ive just been following this thread and Im kind of posting just to sub. With the kids off school for the summer I have NO time to form sentences that make sense these days.

so subbing in the hopes I can come back and contribute.
#64 of 77 Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 PM

I haven't made it through all four pages, but just thought I'd chime in and say that at various times, I've used the little hijab smilie to let people know that I'm Muslim. My screen name also tells that fact... or at least to those in the know. It's my kunya...which is an Arabic nickname which means "Mother of" Sami (who is my eldest child). I think that Christian Arabs use these as well, but they are very common among Muslims of all ethnic backgrounds in my experience.

Now on my car, I don't have anything that identifies me as Muslim--but then again, I live in the South. I do have general liberal bumper stickers...and one about Jesus saying to love, not kill, one's enemies. I wear hijab, though... so it's pretty easy for people to tell my faith when I pull up next to them. (Sometimes that's a good thing... other times, not so good.)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#65 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have any faith related bumper stickers. I value my car and do not want it getting vandalized while I am not there (or while I am). And I know there are ignorant people who would vandalize someones car if they did not like the bumper sticker. it sucks but it is true.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#66 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I thought of something related to your post Umsami. Because I am culturally Christian and have the most exposure to Christians I may recognize more Christian signatures than other religions - another way to skew what I'm noticing. I did not know that your user name was Arabic but I do know what a fish means and (because of MDC) what the quiver thing means and etc. (not that I have a great understanding of these symbols/terms...just that I know they are Christian).

I had also wondered what the relationship between Christian bumper stickers and a relative lack of religious dress is.

Lilyka -- you should move to Baltimore. It's bumper sticker mania around here!

On a side note - what does Namaste mean on the signatures? Lotusdebi? That's another that I've seen fairly often. I think that it means something like, "The light in me sees the light in you." And, I know that it's used in yoga often but I imagine it comes from Hindu? Should this be interpreted as a Hindu symbol, a different religious symbol or a yoga symbol?

And, "Hi" to all you mamas!! It's fun to see familiar names. :smile

#67 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
I don't have any faith related bumper stickers. I value my car and do not want it getting vandalized while I am not there (or while I am). And I know there are ignorant people who would vandalize someones car if they did not like the bumper sticker. it sucks but it is true.
Ugh, I hate this. I knew a guy who used his mom's car when he went to college in a VERY liberal town...the car had conservative bumper stickers (Republican I think) He said that people would purposefully RUN INTO HIS CAR WITH THEIRS. Not hard enough to leave a mark, but hard enough to jostle it. I was a bit surprised. To me, that's really juvenile.

Namaste wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste Does that help?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#68 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

My SIL has a few "liberal" bumper stickers. One buy local and another for Obama and another supporting public schools. She is convinced that someone yelled at her one day because of her stickers. While that have been the case - she is also the WORST driver in the entire world so have to wonder.

Threading very gently...being aware of our own biases is a two way street. (I'm not referring to you AFWife - just in general).

#69 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Lilyka -- you should move to Baltimore. It's bumper sticker mania around here!
I'm just south of B'more (in Pasadena) and we definitely have a ton of bumper stickers around here! The back of my minivan is covered, but it looks pretty trashy now since I'm trying to peel them off so I can replace them with magnets. I've been followed and harassed for my bumper stickers a few times, but I have very liberal stickers and live in an incredibly conservative district. Mostly, I encounter people trying to read my anti-circ stickers with confused looks on their faces.

Quote:
On a side note - what does Namaste mean on the signatures? Lotusdebi? That's another that I've seen fairly often. I think that it means something like, "The light in me sees the light in you." And, I know that it's used in yoga often but I imagine it comes from Hindu? Should this be interpreted as a Hindu symbol, a different religious symbol or a yoga symbol?
The wikipedia definition is a good one. I associate "namaste" with yoga and meditation mostly. I also identify as a pantheist, and love the namaste "definition":
Quote:
I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One.
You can interpret namaste in any number of ways. I figure that some people will look at my username and signature and assume that I'm Buddhist. That would only be partially correct. My spirituality is influenced by a number of religions and philosophies.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#70 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 PM

My friend's neighbor from India said "namaste" is like "ciao" in Italian, but I got this second-hand.
#71 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Threading very gently...being aware of our own biases is a two way street. (I'm not referring to you AFWife - just in general).
I wasn't saying anything in favor of either side. Just that I think it's stupid to get so upset over bumper stickers. *shrugs* I've seen a few that offend me and I roll my eyes and move on...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#72 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

AFWife, I totally didn't think you did!! I seriously meant that comment in a general way - when someone has a negative bias there is likely a person how has a positive bias - still a bias nonetheless. And, I agree that vandalizing because of bumper stickers is pretty radical. I must admit to being tempted once but a sticker of a man peeing on another crouching man, with and indicator that the crouching man did not speak English.

LotusDebi, Namaste is such an interesting word to me when used by Americans because, just as you said, it seems to be used in so many different ways. Once I read it being uses in this way, "You can take your views and shove them where the sun don't shine. Namaste." That was an odd one.

#73 of 77 Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Although even that works if you take it just to mean " 'bye."
#74 of 77 Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Many partings are blessings of some sort. Good Bye is short for "God be with ye", In Spanish they have Vaya Con Dios. Aloha in the Hawaiian language means affection, love, peace, compassion and mercy. Nameste is just a way of saying the good in me recognizes the good in you. Its a nice greeting weather you are coming or going.

I think you make a VERY good point about you recognize Christian indicators because that is a language you are familiar with. I have been hanging around here forever so I recognize some "code words" (for lack of a better word) that indicate pagan, Muslim, Jewish and other religious leanings that may not register to someone who was not familiar with these phrases or sayings.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#75 of 77 Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#76 of 77 Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You know, I used to see more religions in signatures but I've been thinking about how I used to use MDC and it's way different than what I'm doing now. I'm mostly in the pregnancy forum. One of the things I used to like about MDC is that there really was quite a bit of spiritual diversity. Perhaps it is still there and I am either being bias or just happen to see many more Christian signatures.

I don't find the religious signatures offensive but I did feel a bit put off by primarily seeing Christian religious signatures. I suppose I could be a bit sensitive these days in general about that because I moved to a more predominantly Christian part of the US and feel as though I never see any other kinds of religious bumper stickers in my town and I feel more pressure for not being Christian. Then, I came to my old home of amazing diverse mamas and felt like that had changed as well. That's why I asked...is it just me?

Honestly, it isn't that I mind anyone expressing their religion...it's that I guess I would mind if there was just one majority being expressed.

ok I didn't read many responses and this thread is old... but i am confused? you are ok with people expressing their opinions, so long as there aren't too many people with the same opinion? what kinda idea is that????

if you moved to Israel would you be put off by the predominantly Jewish opinion/belief? If you moved to China would you be put off by Bhuddist siggies being the majority? or is it just Christianity that bothers you?

I guess I ask b/c yes sometimes i do feel like I don't belong in this great big Christian place.... but what right do I have to tell other how/when/how often they should express themselves in their siggies? they aren't trying to get me to join some kinda club then I could care less. This is a predominantly Christian country, so it seems pretty obvious to me. If you're sensitive about Christainity in general then aim you're frutration there and don't worry about what individual people put in their siggies. a Siggie is there to express what is important to a person. If THAT happens to be what is important to a person then it should be in their siggie.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#77 of 77 Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
I don't see why people lump together all these things together. Some of the things above have basis in scripture and some do not...I believe in being submissive to my husband (I pretty much suck at it but I try...), but of course when people hear "submissive" they think I'm being abused...and being pro-life doesn't make me anti-women. My overall point is it makes me sick to think that the above things are all lumped together and people judge me so quickly.
well said!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page