Christian Empaths - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to put this.  I was wondering if there were any Christian empaths here.  I would love to discuss your experiences.

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

#2 of 19 Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM

I think this would be an interesting discussion.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#3 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_y_Paz View Post

I think this would be an interesting discussion.  

indeed.  anyone?

#4 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 AM

I don't want to be embarrassed to ask but.... What is a christian empath?
#5 of 19 Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM

I believe that would be those who follow various Christian paths who experience some sort of empathic ability.

I could be considered a Christian empath.  However, my empathic abilities have lessed since I came back to Christianity from paganism.  I am not entirely sure the reason as to why this has happened, but I have had several people make suggestions.  My abilities do kick-up when I am around other empaths, or when I focus on a specific person.

My experiences are varied, from being able to seek someone out over a distance to actually experiencing an electric/shock sensation when around certain people. 

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#6 of 19 Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 PM

I guess I am, but have never thought about it in these terms. I identified as a "Spirit-filled" protestant evangelical for 15 years (I'm 29), but in the past few weeks have realized I can no longer accept systematic theology and now identify as a Christian mystic. I am realizing how much we apply Christianese to spiritual gifts, especially in charasmatic/Spirit-filled/Pentecostal circles....that are basically the same thing in other spiritual circles.

The concept is biblical: "if on part (talking about the Body of Christ here" suffers all suffer, if one part rejoices all rejoice". 1 Corinthians 12:26,

“I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death” Philippians 3:10. Of course, all of 1 Corinthians 12 details spiritual gifts, including prophecy, word of knowledge, etc. Having sat in on teaching on intercession and being part of it myself, we are told to "enter in" to whatever whomever we are praying for is feeling, we often temporarily feel their sickness, etc. I giggle though that if you were to tell these people they were empaths they would try to cast demons out of you haha. Anyways...

I had a premonition/prophetic knowledge that my friend was going to get into a near fatal car accident a few weeks before she did. I prayed for her during that time, as crazy as it felt. I felt a real fear and dread of this event. Also, I was supposed to go to YWAM Australia in July of 2002, but was delayed and went in October. That August I woke up from a nap with the knowledge that the entire base was violently ill and I should pray for them. Sure enough, I found out months later when I arrived that they were.

A close friend and I once walked into a Starbucks and our eyes locked in an electric shock with 2 ladies who were quite obviously reading auras or something...and taking notes. They stopped and froze (meanwhile many people were walking in and out, that's what made it obvious), looked intrigued and started quietly talking to each other about the light surrounding us. I honestly think evil of no one, I wonder what happened in their past to bring them to their awful path and have compassion on even them. I am extremely compassionate and empathetic. I am a pacifist, live for social justice, etc.

Difficult movies mess me up, like Amistad and Hotel Rwanda...I was weeping after watching both and then in a dark place for a whole day or 2 after, meditating on this evil that happened. And on a regular basis in my ladie's prayer group I have prophetic words and end up sobbing sometimes as I am sharing them with the person because I am consumed with what is happening in their life. feeling how important it is to them, Etc.

It's interesting, even though I was in circles that accepted these as spiritual gifts I was skeptical of them myself. Only now as a mystic am I fully embracing my spirituality and excited to experience the fullness of it and God.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#7 of 19 Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Wow! Is that what that is?! I thought it was something I was supposed to ignore or reject! I'd really like to discuss this further... but dd is up!

#8 of 19 Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM

So here I thought I was being attacked by "demons" or what have you...

I have always been empathetic but this is different. It has been coming in and out as I have become a Christian (not too long ago - a few years or so). I noticed that when I would go places I would get "attacked"; and very heavily at the co-op we belonged to at the time. I was thinking these were spirits/demons I was supposed to have nothing to do with... 

I also see "things", which may or may not have to do with the "empathy" label, but I would be interested to see how these connect. 

#9 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Empathy makes demonic attacks more "real" for lack of a better term. So it is entirely possible you are having demonic attacks, and your empathy is just making you more aware of them.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#10 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Right, the spiritual realm is just as real as the natural realm...but why is it that so few people feel, see or experience it? Well I should say in Western nations, many cultures are very in tune with the spiritual realm. My brother and I have been in prayer situations with someone and he saw a demon that I did not, but I sure felt something was going on. I also no longer think the spiritual realm is as cut and dry as modern-day protestants say it is: you go right to heaven or hell when you die and there are only angels and demons wandering around on earth. The lines between heaven, hell, puragtory, sheol, etc are not so clear....we very much are dealing with ghosts, other humans spirits, etc as well. Ever wondering why the differentiation between "demons" and "unclean spirits" in the gospels? Dead=unclean. That is why they too cried out that they knew that Jesus was the Holy One of God, their souls were wandering and finally found Him.

All that to say, I used to try to fit all my spiritual experiences in boxes. Now I just try to be at peace with spiritual experiences and not fear. I know Jesus and am filled with the Holy Spirit, the rest is not so clear and that is ok.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#11 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I had forgotten that I started this thread until it came to my e-mail.  It's nice to see some responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post

All that to say, I used to try to fit all my spiritual experiences in boxes. Now I just try to be at peace with spiritual experiences and not fear. I know Jesus and am filled with the Holy Spirit, the rest is not so clear and that is ok.

This is what I have basically decided on for myself.

I grew up Baptist and the spiritual gift of healing was never even discussed.  I remember bringing it up in a Spiritual Gifts class and everyone looked at me like I had three heads. 

My belief is that God has given me the spiritual gift of healing, and empathy is a part of that gift.  I do not claim to lay hands on people and invoke God or any such thing.  I do know that I know things and I feel things that others don't know or feel.  It is a blessing and I count it as such.  I could tell so many stories about things I feel, but it all adds up to the fact that I can't ignore it.  It is real.  I ultimately had to choose to tell people about this in a larger setting because it wasn't helping anyone while I kept it to myself.  I had already told individual patients when I felt things while I was working on them.  When I started feeling things from a distance, I would have to start calling people to tell them.  That was a major step for me.

The thing that prompted me to originally start this thread is the fact that my daughter is already showing some of the same abilities and I really need to figure out how to help her.  We did have some experiences where I felt there were demons attacking my daughter and we learned to deal with that.  I did read a book about cleansing your home (re: spiritual warfare).  That helped a lot. 

#12 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeMomChiro View Post

I did read a book about cleansing your home (re: spiritual warfare).  That helped a lot. 

What was this book?

That is interesting P&L... I do binding, "I bind you/any demon or spirits in the name of Jesus Christ. You are to leave this house and my family (I say their names) immediately. I have authority over you by the blood of Jesus." I have faith it works, though if you have any other suggestions I would love them. 

I do know I have HORRIFIC dreams though I come from an abusive childhood, so I thought it had to do with that. Though some of these terrifying dreams do explain somethings I go through. 

I do see things too... I have seen one ghost in our old apt which made me scream and jump. I also think I have a little girl attached to me? I think this because when I was going through a REALLY rough period (when I had no idea what the heck was happening, I think it is referred to as going "live") I went to my mom's house and we went for a walk in the forest and I had leaned down and caressed a head (that wasn't there mind you) and pointed to a squirrel and said, "That's a squirrel." Now I had no idea what I was doing until after. (My mom just kind of watched but didn't say anything. She has passed recently so I can't ask her about it.) So at one point I thought that was "me" as in, I had stopped spiritually growing or whathaveyou as a child due to the abuse and this was me talking to my child self. Now I am thinking it may be a spirit. Also, when I have "let go" in drawing and such a child's handwriting comes out, sometimes I can make out what "she" is saying, sometimes not. I did attempt to tell this child to go to the light but I am not sure she left.

I also see other things but that will wait for now...

One question I have for you ladies/gentlemen is, when you remember things, do you remember it by watching it happen (like do you see yourself, are standing outside of yourself) or are you in your own skin?

It's funny, I have never talked about this stuff before... well DH knows about it but he doesn't like to talk about it too much.

#13 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

It is called Spiritual House Cleaning Workbook

My experiences are more about feeling other people's pain inside my own body.  I don't see things typically.  I feel them.

#14 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM

Again, it's interesting how the Bible doesn't support our theology on the subject of demons/spirits. How many times have you heard this passage explained away? 2 Corinthians 12:7, "Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-- to keep me from exalting myself". You always hear, "well, obviously Christians cannot be demon possessed, so this was obviously an eyesight problem". Wha wha? Paul makes it clear what it was. If God allowed Paul to experience this, I don't think any of us are immune. No where in scripture is the term "possession" used, only "demonized".

Wifemomchiro I would just reassure and support your daughter that this is ok. Most of us have experienced resistance from the church about it, so just being supportive will go a long way. Just explain that God allows some people to see/feel/experience things for different reasons. Let her know that, "You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world." 1 John 4:4. Instill in her faith and love which will cast out all fear (1 John 4:18).

A couple months ago a close's friends 6 yr old daughter saw what they thought were 2 demons in their living room. Actually, she saw 2 men in chains, and when she entered the room they left through another door. It was interesting because though it freaked out my friend (who leads my home church by the way), her daughter didn't seem disturbed. She just said, "Mom, I saw 2 men in chains leaving our living room early this morning". I wonder now if we/the church instill fear in people, and with child like faith it's not really there. I also wonder now if they weren't demons, but simply departed souls...probably not intent on doing any harm..and that's why she was at peace as well. Not something my friends are likely open to theologically but interesting.

#15 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 PM

I, too have only felt things...never seen things. But when I do it is not an out of body experience at all. On the contrary, it's as if two parallel universes line up and I experience true reality, and am very much present. Which is really what it is.

I also forgot to mention often when I pray for people and prophecy to them I end up at least tearing up, if not weeping. And I am SO against conjuring that up, I am NOT one of those pentecostals! I just really take on the feeling of God's love for them and how much it means to them to receive that and Him touching their lives at that moment. Even if I have never met the person before. I never plan on it happening but it just does when it does. Also once when I was sharing in a church about a trip to Russia, I just started weeping because of God's love for the people...and again I would never TRY to do that! My friends that invited me there said they knew God did more through my weeping than all my talking could have done.

#16 of 19 Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 AM

Am I an empath if I am drawn to the broken? Attracted to raw? And they to me? I once had a new friend share her life story, with details she said she never told anyone. And we had just met. I want to be near and with my sisters who are going through heartbreak, let them feel safe to be an emotional wreck around me and not have to put on their Christian face. I dont connect with people that are good at being fake.

It's late but its a new thought.

#17 of 19 Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post

Am I an empath if I am drawn to the broken? Attracted to raw? And they to me? I once had a new friend share her life story, with details she said she never told anyone. And we had just met. I want to be near and with my sisters who are going through heartbreak, let them feel safe to be an emotional wreck around me and not have to put on their Christian face. I dont connect with people that are good at being fake.

It's late but its a new thought.

that's one I resonate with.  That's always been me.  I wouldn't have called myself an empath, but I have always been someone people open up to, someone people feel safe being vulnerable with.

#18 of 19 Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM

Awesome,I would really like to talk to you sometime.It took me a very long time 24 years of my life I am

25 years old and just learned about christian mysticism.I used to think I was evil or somehow fundamentally

bad because I was raised in a "christian" home which didn`t understand the complete revelation of the cross.

I was told my spiritual gifts were demonic.pyschic abilities arent christian,yet as a young child I had a

beautiful relationship with God that man tried to destroy yet the Lord never let me go.My life story wasnt pretty

but oh I wouldnt change any of it if it meant I would have to give up what I have now,God has blessed me so much,the more I seek after him the more he opens my eyes,and God himself revealed everything to me I didnt hear it from anyone else.visions and

thoughts words that would spill from me I would find scripture to back it up,its way too much to go over in one little comment but really i would love to talk.I am very openminded person I have always wanted to know the truth over anything else

and It was revealed to me the truth,it is so easy to be decieved and led astray.for many are called,but few are chosen

#19 of 19 Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM

I guess you could say I fit into this category somewhat. I've never heard of being a christian mystic though and will research it some. I've always, always had the feeling God is there for me. Over about 20 years of my adult life, I've been able to tell people words they need to hear for a clearer perspective on their life, among other bits. I now read colors people share with me (like someone saying, "I like the light pink on cotton candy.") mostly. I keep looking for the right path with this. I've started a snail mail "ministry" type thing...yet will still read people I know or in some chat rooms. I am me...in all that that means.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page