Not Ashamed campaign - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Liquesce: So you think the witch-burning thing was more of a regional aberrancy, which the founders would not have intended/permitted? Or was witchcraft not recognised as a religion in its own right, but rather a perversion or corruption of Christianity?

The Salem witch trials occurred nearly a century before the drafting of the constitution, when we were still a British colony. One of the reasons the founding fathers established separation of church and state was to avoid another witch trial. When the church and the courts are one in the same you run into problems! We don't believe that secular courts should be allowed to punish people for their religious beliefs (or lack thereof).
I personally find it odd when Christians get up in arms about this sort of thing. Jesus told us we would be ridiciculed if we follow him, so if anything we should be expecting it and relieved when it happens. I mean, do we believe Him or not? Not a day goes by when someone doesn't make fun of my religion to my face(I'm Catholic). I always take it as a sign that Jesus was telling us the truth! Take up your cross and quit complaining people!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#32 of 37 Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Just remembered The Witch Trial at Mount Holly, and wanted to come back to add it to my last post. orngbiggrin.gif

#33 of 37 Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post

Just remembered The Witch Trial at Mount Holly, and wanted to come back to add it to my last post. orngbiggrin.gif

Ha!

This reminds me of my grandfather.  He was a journalist and worked for a small city paper.  He used to write in angry letters to the editor under fake names to lambaste his own articles.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#34 of 37 Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post

Ha!

This reminds me of my grandfather.  He was a journalist and worked for a small city paper.  He used to write in angry letters to the editor under fake names to lambaste his own articles.

:D  Nothing sells like controversy.

#35 of 37 Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

... I personally find it odd when Christians get up in arms about this sort of thing. Jesus told us we would be ridiciculed if we follow him, so if anything we should be expecting it and relieved when it happens. I mean, do we believe Him or not? Not a day goes by when someone doesn't make fun of my religion to my face(I'm Catholic). I always take it as a sign that Jesus was telling us the truth! Take up your cross and quit complaining people!

I agree with this 100%. It is to be expected; the times and places in which Christianity was generally respected should be considered the aberrations, not the norm.

I only draw the line at anything which makes it impossible to practice a religion, even in private. I will also respond to deliberate distortion of facts about Christianity where appropriate. However, I do not really expect the situation to improve. 

#36 of 37 Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

IMO Christianity is least discriminated against religion.

What Christians are now experiencing is what other religions have been dealing with for a long time.

That's a VERY Western-centric viewpoint.  It might surprise you to learn that there are countries TODAY where Christians are murdered because of their religion.  And uh, have you ever read any history of the first century Christians?  Thousands of Christians were slaughtered by various Roman emperors (not to mention Persia).  This crap that Christians have always been the persecutors and never the persecuted is just flat out false.  Virtually every religion has and does play both roles at some point or another.

#37 of 37 Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

IMO Christianity is least discriminated against religion.

What Christians are now experiencing is what other religions have been dealing with for a long time.

That's a VERY Western-centric viewpoint.  It might surprise you to learn that there are countries TODAY where Christians are murdered because of their religion.  And uh, have you ever read any history of the first century Christians?  Thousands of Christians were slaughtered by various Roman emperors (not to mention Persia).  This crap that Christians have always been the persecutors and never the persecuted is just flat out false.  Virtually every religion has and does play both roles at some point or another.

To be fair though, the Not Ashamed campaign is originating in the UK, and there aren't Christians being murdered HERE because of their religion.  The "persecution" is more in the form of lack of interest from others and refusal to make room for it.  I do wonder if the main issue is that many sorts of Christianity ask those who are Faithful to spread the word, and increasingly people just don't want to hear it?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page