Jewish Mamas...a Question about Jesus (stay with me lol) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In reply to Vallere.  I am no expert on OT translation, but I found this one that says the literal transation is 'grief'.  Then the English version chose 'sorrow'.  Here the link:  http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen3.pdf

Pain doesn't necessarily mean physical although that is the first thought when reading the translation I first posted.  Most people think of physical pain.  Bringing forth a child is a labor of love from conception until, well, it goes on and on even when your child is an adult.  I do like the word toil.

Another interesting thing I have heard...Paul in the New Testament makes reference to caring for new believers as a nursing mother.  When caring for new believers it is a labor of love that can be full of joy or grief just as our own physical children. 

In typology Adam is a type of Christ and Eve is a type of the church.  Some believe that these verses of toiling or pain in childbirth are referring to the church (all of the believers) being formed or brought forth in Christ, a spiritual birth.  There are several references in the NT about all the earthly calamities being the beginning of birth pangs.  The human sufferings cause people to come to Christ.  God's desire is to bring forth many sons to glory.   Sadly, the sufferings of this earthly life can also turn people away from God.

Oops!  I just realized how far off topic I am. Sorry, I got wrapped up in my reply to Vallere and forgot the OP's question.  I am also not Jewish.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#32 of 34 Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#33 of 34 Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

COOL!!! Who are the two guys with sticks?

I know this is kind of an older thread but I didn't see the answer given. Actually I don't know the full answer as I have never seen an icon of the Nativity with two "guys with sticks", but the one in the furry coat talking to Joseph ( who is sitting on the rock in the lower left corner) is Satan tempting him.  Here is a good explanation of the icon if anyone wants to read it. http://www.goarch.org/special/listen_learn_share/nativity

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#34 of 34 Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

xekomaya- Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page