Those in a church that consecrates both species of Communion, Do you receive the Precious Blood? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you receive the Precious Blood of Christ?
Yes, always when it is offered 17 51.52%
No, never 6 18.18%
Sometimes 7 21.21%
Other 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

I think P&L understands theological reflection, I think she just misunderstood the context of the comment.  It's not hard with just a tiny bit that's being repeated somewhere else.

I guess we'll never know. lol.gif

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#62 of 81 Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 PM

I am so happy to be attending the Tridentine Mass. the reverence for The Real Presence is unimaginable if you haven't experienced it.

I've always attended Novus Ordo up until a few months ago and it always made me weep inside to see the outrages and abuses against our Lord. People taking the host and walking away without putting it in their mouths, people chewing on it and talking, grabbing it and running out the door, goofing off walking up to communion, "Eucharistic Ministers" giving me an attitude for preferring to recieve our Lord from a consecrated priest....the list goes on.

I am so grateful to Our Lord for bringing us to a place where He is truly reverenced. If you ever have the opportunity to attend, I urge you all to do so.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#63 of 81 Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post

I am so happy to be attending the Tridentine Mass. the reverence for The Real Presence is unimaginable if you haven't experienced it.

I've always attended Novus Ordo up until a few months ago and it always made me weep inside to see the outrages and abuses against our Lord. People taking the host and walking away without putting it in their mouths, people chewing on it and talking, grabbing it and running out the door, goofing off walking up to communion, "Eucharistic Ministers" giving me an attitude for preferring to recieve our Lord from a consecrated priest....the list goes on.

I am so grateful to Our Lord for bringing us to a place where He is truly reverenced. If you ever have the opportunity to attend, I urge you all to do so.

I agree.  The nearest Tridentine Mass is too far for us to make every Sunday, sadly, but we go once a month.  We also attend an Orthodox service once a month.  Our home parish is more conservative, but my mother's parish is very flipant about The Real Presence...they even have the tabernacle hidden.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#64 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

I agree.  The nearest Tridentine Mass is too far for us to make every Sunday, sadly, but we go once a month.  We also attend an Orthodox service once a month.  Our home parish is more conservative, but my mother's parish is very flipant about The Real Presence...they even have the tabernacle hidden.

I hate that.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#65 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What does that mean...that they hide the tabernacle?  Can you tell me more about this, what the tabernacle is and why hiding it is done, why it is a bad choice?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#66 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

What does that mean...that they hide the tabernacle?  Can you tell me more about this, what the tabernacle is and why hiding it is done, why it is a bad choice?

The tabernacle holds the reserved Body of Christ. It's a very large version of the small containers that Orthodox churches (often shaped liked churches)have on the altar.

Catholic tabernacle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msabeln/2260496473/

Orthodox tabernacle:

http://www.easternchristiansupply.biz/-#supplies/c98/c138/41502

Catholic tabernacles don't just hold the Body of Christ, but also the chalice holding it. Usually locks, as well.

The tabernacle is *supposed* to be visible. In the Catholic parish where I was raised and the other one where I went to school, the tabernacle was right behind the altar, right in eye sight as soon as you entered the nave. Main aisle leading right toward it, and all that. So when you were genuflecting before you got into your pew, you were genuflecting towards the Body of Christ.  If the tabernacle can't be found or is hidden off to the side, kinda throws the whole thing off. I don't know how it works in Catholic parishes with the tabernacle off to the side. Not sure if that's a thing with newer church buildings or not. The ones I grew up in and went to school at had churches built in 1930 and 1915, respectively.

The genuflecting thing is the same idea behind the Orthodox bowing and crossing themselves when crossing in front of the Royal Doors.

Imagine if your priest decided to take the tabernacle off the altar and hide it in the Prosthesis area. Big no-no!

lady.gif
#67 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM

The precious blood is all I take.  I have celiac and can't take the host.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#68 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 PM

At my parish the precious blood is not distributed generally, those that for whatever reason, medical or whatever need to can receive it by approaching the deacon or whoever is concelebrating with Father since we do not utilize EMHC. I saw it given out once, when the Bishop was there for confirmation almost no one received though probably because it's not the norm for us. The line up for the communion rail was different that week too so we were all confused lol.
#69 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

To clarify, so ... by "hidden", you mean "off to the side" ?

The Tabernacle should be clearly visible to/easily identified by the congregation, period.  I forget what it's called, but there is something that can/should be hung from the ceiling above the Tabernacle if it is difficult to see (due to architecture, for example); but "off to one side of the Altar" is not "hidden".  In my church, the main Altar is very small and there is, literally, no room for the Tabernacle in the center fo the Altar, so it sits on the side Altar.  It is still very visible, and nothing is violated by having it there.

Quote:general
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

The precious blood is all I take.  I have celiac and can't take the host.

I so wish that the Church would get a clue, and make provisions to offer a gluten-free host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

At my parish the precious blood is not distributed generally, those that for whatever reason, medical or whatever need to can receive it by approaching the deacon or whoever is concelebrating with Father since we do not utilize EMHC. I saw it given out once, when the Bishop was there for confirmation almost no one received though probably because it's not the norm for us. The line up for the communion rail was different that week too so we were all confused lol.

1 - I think it's terribly disappointing that there are still parishes that do not offer general distribution of the Precious Blood, as if it's something reserved for the ordained only.

2 - Can you explain what constitutes "a medical need" for the Precious Blood?  And does "whatever reason" also mean simply the desire to receive under both species, or does one have to have some specific reason since the Precious Blood is not generally distributed?

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

#70 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My husband is allergic to wheat. Therefore the precious blood is very important to our family. We try to avoid going to a mass that only serves the body.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#71 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I so wish that the Church would get a clue, and make provisions to offer a gluten-free host.

Actually the Catholic Church does have a gluten-free host that is approved by the Vatican - http://www.benedictinesisters.org/bread/low_gluten.php. However, my husband is actually allergic to wheat so the very low gluten host doesn't do him much good. But the blood works fine for us we just have to make sure that we are attending a mass that offers it.

#72 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

Actually the Catholic Church does have a gluten-free host that is approved by the Vatican - http://www.benedictinesisters.org/bread/low_gluten.php. However, my husband is actually allergic to wheat so the very low gluten host doesn't do him much good. But the blood works fine for us we just have to make sure that we are attending a mass that offers it.

"Low gluten" is not gluten-free - obviously, since your DH cannot consume it.

#73 of 81 Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 PM

1 - I think it's terribly disappointing that there are still parishes that do not offer general distribution of the Precious Blood, as if it's something reserved for the ordained only.

I don't think I understand your disappointment. "The ordained" is our holy priesthood. The priesthood is our apostolic succession. Through the Sacrament of Holy Orders, these men are able to bring the laity ever closer to Jesus through the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist. We are a sacramental church. It doesn't bother me in the least bit that the Precious Blood be reserved for priests. It doesn't bother me that they can give absolution for sins. Isn't that the way Jesus established His Holy Church? Why have a priesthood when we can have  free-for-allshrug.gif.

In reference to the Tabernacle, Our Lord is the reason we are called to the table. Doesn't He deserve to be first and foremost? I have been to some churches where we actually had to search for the Tabernacle.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#74 of 81 Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Gluten is not only found in wheat, but also barley, spelt, kamut, rye, etc. The "low-gluten" host is so low gluten that 99%+ of gluten free people can consume it safely, especially because only a small portion of the host need be consumed anyway, but the host is always going to be "bread of wheat". It will always have some wheat content to be considered "valid matter" and her husband will always be specifically allergic to wheat. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

"Low gluten" is not gluten-free - obviously, since your DH cannot consume it.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#75 of 81 Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

It doesn't bother me in the least bit that the Precious Blood be reserved for priests. It doesn't bother me that they can give absolution for sins. Isn't that the way Jesus established His Holy Church? Why have a priesthood when we can have  free-for-allshrug.gif.

Do you see churches that offer both the Precious Blood and the Holy Body as having a free-for-all?  

#76 of 81 Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't think I understand your disappointment. "The ordained" is our holy priesthood. The priesthood is our apostolic succession. Through the Sacrament of Holy Orders, these men are able to bring the laity ever closer to Jesus through the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist. We are a sacramental church. It doesn't bother me in the least bit that the Precious Blood be reserved for priests. It doesn't bother me that they can give absolution for sins. Isn't that the way Jesus established His Holy Church? Why have a priesthood when we can have  free-for-allshrug.gif.

In reference to the Tabernacle, Our Lord is the reason we are called to the table. Doesn't He deserve to be first and foremost? I have been to some churches where we actually had to search for the Tabernacle.

The Eucharist - Body AND Blood - is a Sacrament that is meant to be available to all of the baptized faithful; unlike Holy Orders, which is reserved for those who are specifically called (though currently leaving out an entire class of people, but of course we won't debate that here).  The whole point of Vatican II was inclusiveness, participation, and true communion of the faithful in the Mass.

(I also want to point out that deacons are part of ordained ministry, as well.)

I agree with you, that the Tabernacle should be easily identified in a church when it is not possible for it to be front and center.  I minister in a church where the architecture (columns/beams/nooks) makes it difficult to "find" the Tabernacle if you are not familiar with its placement.  The new pastor and the pastoral council have been brainstorming ways to make the Tabernacle more visible.

#77 of 81 Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM

Thank you. You explained it better than I could. My husband does not have a gluten intolerance. He has a wheat allergy. Therefore the host that is safe for the majority of gluten intolerant people is still unsafe for him. However, we are truly grateful that there is an option for those whose issue is gluten as he really does miss the bread. We are thankful that others have found a way to still partake. I mention that it is available so that those who it does benefit can receive that blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post

Gluten is not only found in wheat, but also barley, spelt, kamut, rye, etc. The "low-gluten" host is so low gluten that 99%+ of gluten free people can consume it safely, especially because only a small portion of the host need be consumed anyway, but the host is always going to be "bread of wheat". It will always have some wheat content to be considered "valid matter" and her husband will always be specifically allergic to wheat. 

#78 of 81 Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

The Eucharist - Body AND Blood - is a Sacrament that is meant to be available to all of the baptized faithful; unlike Holy Orders, which is reserved for those who are specifically called (though currently leaving out an entire class of people, but of course we won't debate that here).  The whole point of Vatican II was inclusiveness, participation, and true communion of the faithful in the Mass.

(I also want to point out that deacons are part of ordained ministry, as well.)

Yes, and as pointed out earlier by another poster, one can easily find in the Catechism how we consume the Body AND Blood in the host. I think we have to be careful when we reference Vatican II. It is often used as an excuse to justify liturgical abuses, unfaithfulness to the Magisterium, and yes, a free-for-all of whatever-pleases-me-must-be-good. Here is a link that I think is useful.

Yes, I realize that deacons are ordained ministers. They are not, however, priests.

The idea of women being ordained is not pertinent to this thread, so I won't belabor it. Suffice it to say that there are many truths of Holy Mother Church that many find distasteful and not to their liking. It doesn't change the truthfulness of the teaching.

#79 of 81 Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Whether or not you agree with/follow VII, there is absolutely NOTHING "liturgically abusive" about laity receiving the Precious Blood, period.

#80 of 81 Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM

i

Quote:

Whether or not you agree with/follow VII, there is absolutely NOTHING "liturgically abusive" about laity receiving the Precious Blood, period.

I agree. But again, Vatican II said nothing (correct me if I am wrong) about the changes that have occurred regarding the current standards for reception of the Sacrament. That is, the idea of putting it in one's hands, et cetera. I have no problems with Vatican II. I have issues with the way people use it to defend bad practices and non-Catholic theology.

To a previous poster, I do not in any way regard those churches that offer the Body and Blood as free-for-alls. However, since it does not occur in traditional congregations, I find that when I attend one of those masses where it does I am shocked by the irreverance toward our Lord.  And again, there are many who, IMHO, misinterpret the intention and meaning of Vatican II. And of course, those Catholics who think if they don't agree with The Magisterium that they can just do things their own way because, after all, it's just a bunch of old men telling us what to do.

#81 of 81 Old 07-05-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

We had a visiting priest on Sunday, celebrating his 50th Jubilee.  He made a wonderful, poignant remark just before the Consecration of the Eucharist.  He said, "As you prepare to receive the Precious Blood and the Body of Christ, remember that the Precious Blood is the very essence of Jesus Christ."

I think that's awesome.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page