God's Wife Edited Out of the Bible? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 124 Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well huh.  There were a couple of sites that attributed it to Martin Luther's "The Estate of Marriage," but I looked at it and coming from that would mean more than a bad translation -- it would be an ideologically driven paraphrase.  I'm assuming it having appeared in an Armstrong book means that it was written closer to as quoted elsewhere, but you never know.

From The Estate.. :

Quote:
A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works. This is also how to comfort and encourage a woman in the pangs of childbirth, not by repeating St Margaret legends and other silly old wives' tales but by speaking thus, "Dear Grete, remember that you are a woman, and that this work of God in you is pleasing to him. Trust joyfully in his will, and let him have his way with you. Work with all your might to bring forth the child. Should it mean your death, then depart happily, for you will die in a noble deed and in subservience to God. If you were not a woman you should now wish to be one for the sake of this very work alone, that you might thus gloriously suffer and even die in the performance of God's work and will. For here you have the word of God, who so created you and implanted within you this extremity." Tell me, is not this indeed (as Solomon says [Prov. 18:22]) "to obtain favour from the Lord," even in the midst of such extremity?  

(The following paragraph was all about the virtues of a father washing his child's diapers.)  orngbiggrin.gif

#122 of 124 Old 06-25-2011, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

orngbiggrin.gif orngbiggrin.gif orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:

Now you tell me, when a father goes ahead and washes diapers or performs some other mean task for his child, and someone ridicules him as an effeminate fool, though that father is acting in the spirit just described and in Christian faith, my dear fellow you tell me, which of the two is most keenly ridiculing the other? God, with all his angels and creatures, is smiling, not because that father is washing diapers, but because he is doing so in Christian faith. Those who sneer at him and see only the task but not the faith are ridiculing God with all his creatures, as the biggest fool on earth. Indeed, they are only ridiculing themselves; with all their cleverness they are nothing but devil's fools.

As to his attitude toward women in childbirth, I'll post back when I get to the bottom of this.... 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#123 of 124 Old 06-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Liquesce, here's a decidedly biased take on the matter that provides a little context.  Grain of salt with everything, but it is interesting. 

Quote:
In context, the quote says something quite different than what Grisar and Maritian suggest. One can chastise Luther for his archaic medieval medical view that those who are chaste are sickly, while those who are married and producing children are healthy, but to make Luther into a woman-hater or that Luther didn't take pain in child bearing seriously is simply absurd, and not supported by the context.

If this author is accurate, he certainly doesn't "explain away" what Luther says in a way that makes it palatable to a 21st century feminist, but it does indicate that a little quote-mining may be going on....

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#124 of 124 Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So it is in The Estate of Marriage, just without direct use of the word "childbirth."  So much for my crackerjack "Ctrl+F" research methodology.  lol.gif

And yeah.  In fuller context -- expressing the belief that to not bear children results in illness -- given the day and age it's not nearly so bad as it appears when pulled from context and put before a modern audience.  "It is better to have a brief life with good health than a long life in ill health" seems fair enough.  Bad medical understanding, but still fair enough.

Turquesa likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page