Leaving a Synagogue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I don't post a lot here except when I have a question, though I read quietly and learn a lot. It has come time for my family to change Synagogues, the one we are members of at the moment has not been a good fit for a while (read: they spend more time asking for money and fundraising than praying). We have found a unique program in our area that fits with our beliefs and needs and I feel ready to move on. But I am not sure how to do this without causing bad feelings, over the past seven years I have become friends with the Rabbi, individually and spiritually he has been amazing. We haven't actually gone since the high holidays last year whn DS had such a bad experience with the loudness of the children's service and the way the other kids treated him in the child care during the regular service (even while I was the one running the childcare). Has anyone had experience with this?

Sigh, that just felt great to say it all "out loud" thank you for listening.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

If I might ask....Can you speak to the Rabbi and explain your feelings? He may want to know how you feel. He may want things to change.

I had to leave a church recently and I regret not speaking with the pastor. BUT the thing is that I was not seeing "eye to eye" with what was happening with the church. For me leaving a house of worship is something that you sometimes must do. For your growth as well as your children's.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

can you blend the two for a while,  or is that discouraged.   I left a church and nobody noticed til the end of the year when they missed my donation and called for the money.

User Tag List