Catholic Mass study for whole family - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This year instead of signing my son (age 8) up for Religious Ed through our parish I decided to do some RE at home as a family. My 5 year old daughter and my husband will also be doing the study with us. I think it will be a good chance to discuss our faith and share it with our children. I also really feel that my kids would benefit from a better understanding of the Mass. I look at my children during church and see them fairly un-engaged. I think part of that stems from just not understanding what is going on. Why do we do this? What am I supposed to do/say?

My husband converted to Catholicism 6 years ago and has mentioned that he wouldn't mind a deeper understanding of the mass either.

My thinking is that I will mainly break the mass down into small parts and talk about what is going on, what our role is at that point, and why.

I would love some good and simple resources as I work on this.

Please give me any suggestions you have.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What a wonderful approach to developing a deeper understanding of your Catholic faith as a family!  I would suggest you start by contacting your diocesan faith formation director for suggested resources/books/etc that might give you a good starting place as you develop your home study. A beautiful book about the Mass that I would highly recommend for you and your husband, if not for the kids, is The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn. Best wishes for you and yours as you embark on this meaningful family study together!

#3 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This book seems to get good reviews as a comprehensive guide to understanding and appreciating the Mass:

The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know but No One Ever Taught You 

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#4 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks so much for the book suggestions. Both look like good resources. My husband thinks that the

The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know but No One Ever Taught You  looks of real interest to him.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page