Witch Bitch - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2004, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm speculating here, but I wonder if the usage for bitch didn't come from a mother dog's fierceness in defending her pups?

Not such a bad thing when you think about it. And then you think about the mentality of those who would make such ferocity out to be a bad thing... Are we not allowed to be anything but meek little doormats?

I don't think so!

However, I don't much care to be called a bitch, no matter the origin, because of the current implications of the word. I like it even less when witch is used as a substitute. I have my moments, But....

"What will you do once you know?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With all due respect for the concern about name calling in general... there is something useful about conciseness in communication. If I am telling my friend back in CA about a person I meet here I can go into a ten minute dissertation of this persons behavior, personality traits, etc... or I can use a one or two word description that covers it all and get on with my life and my conversation.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
With all due respect for the concern about name calling in general... there is something useful about conciseness in communication. If I am telling my friend back in CA about a person I meet here I can go into a ten minute dissertation of this persons behavior, personality traits, etc... or I can use a one or two word description that covers it all and get on with my life and my conversation.
Good point. That truly is probably why the terms have evolved into what they seem to mean. I have enjoyed the theoretical lines of the discussion, though. The term "witch" never bothered me but then I'm not part of that group so can't really defend its usage, either as I'm not an affected minority, for lack of a better term.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:20 AM

There is something concise about the word faggot and the N word but I still don't use them.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Slooooow down Arduinna.

I'm not defending the use of witch as an epithet and have, in fact, called the misuse as such to peoples attention on these boards. Making the leap to the other words... please. Really. I was addressing specifically the point that has arisen within this conversation about whether or not name calling is ever valid. Not defending the use of those particular names. I should think that was perfectly clear but apparently it was not.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:51 AM

T

THIS AGRESSION WILL NOT STAND, MAN
el duderino
Old 04-15-2004, 05:05 AM

aw, c'mon daryLLL, I can't stand the KJV. Its all funky in its translation.

And all my Bibles, Concordances and Lexicons are packed so....I'll have to wait a bit to discuss this with you. My brain is mush pie and I don't want to talk about this verse's context off the top of my head. But the context IS important, imho. Plus the Hebrew word, too. Yep, those books are packed TOO. Bummer.

But for purposes of this thread--it is well chosen.

carry on.....

Oh and btw, I appreciate the posts here and in this new forum about witches and paganism. I really have no idea about either. I am learning here.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:30 AM

The term bitch actually comes from the fact that in packs of dogs there are alpha females who maul other female dogs. In most packs there is one female who makes puppies and she kills many female dogs and pups to maintain her status. If she doesn't kill them she puts the fear of fang into them so they are completely submissive of her. My living girl dog is like this, but for whatever reason, was very protective of her sister, Cleo. Any female dog gets near my pack, she attacks, otherwise, she is gentle and loving.

The term "bitch" is applied to women because of this supposed trait that is common amongst women. We trample each other to get what we need, to establish our pecking order. We are "catty" and therefore "bitchy.'

The term bitch is highly offensive, it is a slur to demean women, and IMO, no different from "faggot" or "******" amongst other taboo slurs. The fact that it is still acceptable to say and is used by women against women is a symptom of the pervasive sexist attitude of our society.

The term "witch" used in place of bitch is almost twice as offensive, it is a slur against women, witches, and the history of midwives, independent women, self educated women, lesbians, single women and all others labeled "witches" for persecution. It runs very deep and shows just how ignorant we all can be.

Can ya tell I feel strongly about this one? :LOL

eta: On that "catty" note, the term "catty" and the fighting cat noise and claw gesture are also very demeaning and innappropriate. I am still breaking DP of this one and it beyond drives me crazy.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The term "bitch" is applied to women because of this supposed trait that is common amongst women. We trample each other to get what we need, to establish our pecking order. We are "catty" and therefore "bitchy.'

The term bitch is highly offensive, it is a slur to demean women, and IMO, no different from "faggot" or "******" amongst other taboo slurs. The fact that it is still acceptable to say and is used by women against women is a symptom of the pervasive sexist attitude of our society.
WOW! I never knew all of that. Thanks for posting it. I knew it bothered me but now have a greater understanding.

also to the other two you added. Very enlightening!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:46 AM

Frankly, I don't mind being compared to a cat. Or a dog. in fact I welcome it. Bring it on.

I am a creature of instinct.

If you would also like to compare me to a whale or an elephant, that is cool too.

Or--a dragonfly! (Not to leave out our non-mammalian sisters.)
Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 AM

But, shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:03 AM

Please do so.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:16 PM

hey, I wasn't being snarky. I was just taking the theory to it's logical conclusion, IMO.

glad I inspired a little heat for once though

Old 04-15-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The term "witch" never bothered me but then I'm not part of that group so can't really defend its usage, either as I'm not an affected minority, for lack of a better term.
One does not have to be part of the affected minority to feel the need to change something that is inherently wrong.

For instance, I am a primarily straight married woman. I am and will continue to do what I can to help achieve equal protoection under the law for my gay sisters and brothers to be able to marry the lifepartner of their choice, even as I have been able to.[/derail]

Had I been old enough, I'd've been marching back in the 60's too.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:03 PM

Quote:
One does not have to be part of the affected minority to feel the need to change something that is inherently wrong.
Yes'm I totally agree. My point being that I hadn't thought about it before, but now I have been "made conscious" of it.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:32 PM

Quote:
The term "witch" never bothered me but then I'm not part of that group so can't really defend its usage, either as I'm not an affected minority, for lack of a better term.
You ARE an affected minority if you are a woman. The label "witch" has been used as a way to torture and kill women simply for being independent. All women are linked to the derogatory use of the word just as other disinranchised groups are affected by the slurs used against them. Particularly the ones that were used by groups who lynched, raped, beat babies against cacti, etc. My point is, it should bother you.

DaryLLL- you are silly! Being compared to a dog is one thing, just as is being compared to a bundle of sticks used to start a fire, but the deeper root of the word a slur is what is important. You canine, you! : And, btw, my best friend was a female dog, so if you feel a kindredship, you're not alone. I kept her with me during labor to remind me how much I am like her and therefore how capable I am to birth wildly.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:13 AM

Tracy

Old 04-18-2004, 02:28 AM

I'm offened too. Alot of people throw words around not even relizing what they mean. Like the word hate, we really should say dis-like, hate is such a strong word. And I swear to God, thats a big statment, can you image having him confront these people about things they swear to him? Retard, this is the worst! Mentally destabled people are some of the best humans on this earth. Dont even get me started on fag... Sorry ranting a lot tonight, its late despratly need some

User Tag List