Do you believe that the rituals of other faiths have power? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok now for my first blonde moment... i should of known what RC meant.. as that is what my parents tried raising me as...

now what are classifying as ritual here?? many things can be considered ritual and dont neccssarily need "props" plus i believe in my opinion that "props" are there for symbolism its doesnt mean they have any real power themselves.... i believe very much intent is everything and how u r directing that energy...

there are many things we do in a day one may considered ritual and others might now... so we need maybe to clarify ritual... i consider reading my daughter a book everynight before bed, kissing her and hugging her a ritual...

omg i think i made sense today... woo hooo :LOL

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#32 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 01:28 PM

OK, my dh has been atteding UU for over a yr. I go now and then. This yr he offered for me to get palms for his church for Palm Sunday. As I am now a florist and I could get a deal.

So the Saturday before, we were in the garage, "stripping" the fronds. And I saw myself doing it and I thought, Holy Carp, my MIL's prayers seem to be working!

:

But I did not go to church that Sunday or Easter. So, they only are working a little bit. What do you think? :LOL
#33 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 01:54 PM

I didn't think asherah attacked anyone, btw. I found asherah's post very informative actually and she and EF seemed to work out the misunderstanding. I actually appreciated the exchange b/n the two and didn't see it as attack on either side.

DaryLLL- I don't know. I mean if all your IL's are praying are about are fronds and church attendence then .

more to say but i smell a funky diaper.....
#34 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Whatever things you believe to be true, or at least capable of happening, they have some power over you. Things you don't believe to be true or capable of happening have little or no hold on you.
see this always confuses me. one the one hand I do believe in the power of thought. As in I do believe that I have made myself ill in the past. But I get lost when the power of thought get's taken (by some, and not specifically the person quoted) to mean that I can wish things from not happening.

You know the old, you can't curse me if I don't believe in curses.

#35 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hotmamacita

OT:

Can I use that as my sig line? That is always happening to me!:LOL
#36 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 06:16 PM

I have no clue what is going on in the afterlife, but I can imagine my soul flipping out about a certain ritual taking place. It makes me really angry now thinking that one day, after I am dead, this will happen. If my soul is able, I may just haunt the poor person that did it. I feel that strongly about it. I made my decision on earth, and even if their religion is true, I don't want any part of it EVER.

nuff said.
#37 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hotmamacita

DaryLLL- I don't know. I mean if all your IL's are praying are about are fronds and church attendence then .

LoL, hotmama. No, they have been praying for decades for me to quit worshiping Satan and conspiring with him to take over the world. You know, in a big New Age coup.
#38 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 06:31 PM

Candiland is kinky! Candiland is kinky!

And thanks for your kind words, Hotmamacita...

I am gonna start a thread on "props".. thought Ard would but since she didn't, I will.
#39 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rituals:

Some people are ritual people and some are not. Iam. after years of thinking people who were ritual people were just going through the motions. :LOL But low and behold when I stepped back and looked at it my life has allsorts of rituals in it (not just religous but in all areas) and for me rituals trigger things in me, the line me up so to speak. they are a form of worship. It is hard to explain. But those rituals that bring me comfort and bring me close rot god by reeminding me who he is adn what he is are far more than just going through the motions. for example communion - it is a ritual and it would be easy for someone to slip into going through the motions etc. . . but for me going through the familar steps and doing the familar things and hearing those words that have been drilled into me since child hood lines me and draws me into the act in a more real way. anyway, that is just my thoughts on rituals. Some people have it in them for them and some don't. I htink it is just a personality thing.

Do the things other people do as a part of thier spirituality effect mine:

I think they can. First of all I think after I die it is a done deal and my soul is sealed for whatever afterlkife I have chosen for it. secondly, I think somethings have power and others don't but ultimately we all have free will. I do think we can loose things in this world from heavenly places through prayer and fasting and such that have to power to influance principalities and heavenly beings and give them strength to influance our thinking, our openess to God or to bind our openess to God and connection with Him.

wow this is hard to sort without the benifit of conversation. Let me use an example. Lets say Suzie has rejected her families beliefs but Suzies mom keep praying and fasting and such. Suzie still has free will but becasue of those prayers God softens Suzies heart and send Angels to shield Suzie from things that would derail her or lead her astray and binds the powers that would seek to encourage her rebellion and keep her away. So he can take away the encouragement from the other side.

On the flip side I believe that people can influance me by praying to thier gods and i have to be sure that I am not receptive to those things that would come at me and i have to have moy protection at the ready and stand stead fast at all times.

Of course this is all from my narrow minded, conservative Christian world view. there i have said so no one else has to waist there time pointing out the obvious.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#40 of 45 Old 04-13-2004, 10:48 PM

I do. I believe there are many ways to connect with God. I know that I can feel God when I pray in a mosque or at home, or visit a church or temple with friends.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#41 of 45 Old 04-14-2004, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probably ritual was too precise a word to use in the OP. Any religious/spiritual practice. Prayer, spells, divining, dowsing, fasting, rituals, and whatever else people do from a spiritual stance to alter things on either the spiritual or physical plane.
#42 of 45 Old 04-14-2004, 05:29 PM

I guess being sort of a peace lovin' gal I guess my thoughts are that since I think nearly everybody's "right," then it would follow that their rituals or practices would also have power regardless of my own belief or practice.

I visited a local shop that markets to witches and wiccans, with lovely soaps, incense, candles and books etc. and in just examining some of the ritual objects (cauldrons, candle holders, and the like) and thinking about their uses I was impressed with the level of power I sensed they could evoke with the right handling and belief. Not MY power, just a sense of somebody else's, if that makes any sense at all. Like not being Catholic and visiting a shrine or a cathedral and getting a sense of people worshiping there in a faith and ritual that doesn't belong to you, but is real to them.
#43 of 45 Old 04-15-2004, 02:26 PM

I can pray for others -- but that doesn't give me power over them (no voodoo).

I believe Jewish or Muslum pray is as "powerful" as mine.

Each is an out pouring of the soul.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#44 of 45 Old 04-20-2004, 05:16 PM

No. If you are a "not adherent/believer", then it is just theatre.
#45 of 45 Old 04-21-2004, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think ritual/prayer/whatever has power for the person(s) doing it. They have power within that particular belief system, but not over anyone who is not of that religion.

When I visit the Buddhist temple in Niagara Falls, Canada, I can feel the power of the place, but it's not a power Over me sensation. It's more like what Tracymom described. You can sense it, but it's not yours.

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page