fasting as a spiritual discipline and/or requirement - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-15-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am interested in reading about fasting as a spiritual discipline and/or religious requirement in the Abrahamic faith traditions. I would like to look at classical/traditional works as well as those by contemporary practitioners. I am purposely casting a wide net because I am only at the beginning of this exploration.

At this stage I only have read The Inner Dimensions of Fasting by Abu Hamid al-Ghazali.

thank you for any reading suggestions.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#2 of 4 Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We do not have a lot of books written on the subject apparently but  that makes sense.  Fasting is something to be done under the guidance of ones spiritual father and not something we need a lot of information on for informations sake.  It is not something we take on ourselves but something we are instructed to do and educated in the how and why according to where we are.  (people can tend to get a little too bookish and self reliant in the faith sometimes and fasting has great potential for people to become prideful legalistic and judgemental)  Here is a good link http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/pr_fasting.aspx  qith a lot of information and towards the bottom there are a couple of book recommendations.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 4 Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 AM

Fasting from a traditional Catholic prospective

http://www.fisheaters.com/fasting.html

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#4 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

Fasting from a traditional Catholic prospective

http://www.fisheaters.com/fasting.html

thanks for the link, P&L. it looks interesting.

I have been reading Scot McKnight's Fasting; his background is Anabaptist. the core of his view is that fasting is a response to a sacred moment (e.g. grief, repentance), and that it has deep roots in the Judeo-Christian tradition. (I found I wished he would take that further, and point out the similarities with Islamic fasting practices, too—especially regarding being mindful of the poor and giving charity along with fasting.) he contrasts this view to fasting as a means to get something—a specific outcome or reward. he talks about the need for holistic spirituality, rather than saying body bad/spirit good. this is a very general description, but it is an interesting read.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page