Xtian mamas- does it say in the Bible that God is white? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 04-15-2004, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My ds1 has a "friend" at school who told him today that it says in the bible that God is white. We're pagan, and I don't know my bible stuff, so I would like to know if this is true?!

Thanks,
Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#2 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: : :

NO! Not that I know of and I am sure every bigot and racist from here to hell would have pointed that and printed it on giant billboards if it did.

Ask her to show you the scripture. This is my general course of action whenever someone starts talking craziness. it either shows them they need to stop talking and actually learn what the Bible says instead of taking other peoples word for it or I learn something new. I am not to proud to admit that I have missed something and am always happy to be enlightened by someone pointing out a scipture I have over looked. And I can't say it without a doubt, perhaps she is ttwisting something that appears to say that, but my guess is that someone told someone who told her. I have never seen any verse that even remotely says that.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, but there are alot of ppl who think so...and oh Jesus too....hmmm...he was Galilean...chances are he wasn't white

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#4 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

I was almost positive that it didn't say that. This kid has "issues"- his family is super religious (which isn't bad) and I believe they use their religion to justify racisim and such. He and my ds1 were friends, until he found out the we weren't Xtian, and then he wasn't allowed at our house anymore, though he can talk to my ds on the bus and at school. The friend isn't allowed to be around Yugioh or Magic cards, or even magic tricks! Anyway, the white God thing came about because ds1 asked the kid, "C", if he'd seen "Bruce Almighty", as ds1 recently saw it and liked it. Well, C went off about how anti-Xtian the movie was (though I don't think he actually saw it), because God in the movie was black, and that is making fun of God because God is white. Ds1 asked why he thought God was white- and C went on about how the Bible says that God is white.........etc......

Sigh.

So, what passage to racists twist to make it seem like God is white?

Kristi

#5 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 03:25 AM

In my view God isn't human. He has no color.
As far as Jesus I'm guessing he was quite dark skinned from his heritage.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#6 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
G-d is spirit, not human. Therefore G-d has no skin, no genitals, just love that goes beyond anything that we humans can imagine.

I read scripture and am Christian but I am frequently amazed about how people use it. It really bugs me when people use it do hurt or divide rather than to become more loving and compassionate or just. And it down right cracks me up when some people insist on taking certain passages literally but then ignore ones that say things like "Sell all that you have and give all of the money to the poor."

What makes me sad is when people want to make G-d just like us instead of allowing ourselves to become more like G-d. There are people out there who believe G-d is a white, male American.
#7 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 07:58 AM

Hmmm... seeing as Jesus was a Jew from what is now considered the Middle East... chances are good that he wasn't the blonde-haired, blue-eyed cherub you see pictured in his mother's arms.
#8 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Why is this post addressed to Xtians? Jews read the Bible too.

I do not think we should bother with talking about "Is Jesus white?" That is too easy. He was Middle Eastern, if he did exist.

(But if Christ exists within, and it helps one to imagine Jesus looks like your tribe in order to communicate with him, that is OK as long as you know what you are doing! IMO, of course.)

Now, is God the Father, or YHWH, white?

Well, first of all God is not human.

No one has ever seen God and lived.

Exodus 33:20, John 1:18, 1 John 4:12

But here is where God is said to have been seen:

Genesis 12:7, 17:1, 18:1, 26:2, 32:30, Exodus 3:16, 6:2-3, 24:9-11, 33:11, Numbers 12:7-8, 14:14, JB 42:5, Amos 7:7-8, 9:1

Look 'em up and see if his skin color is mentioned.

He does snort smoke out of his nostrils and fire from his mouth. He has a stong arm. But I don't think you can find where that arm is white. :LOL

ETA:

1 Kings 8:12, 2Chron 6:1, Psalms 18:11 God dwells in thick darkness.
1Timothy 6:15-16 God dwells in unapproachable light.

"God, the blessed and only ruler, the king of kings and lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see."

Either way, how could you determine the color of "his" "skin?"

Now, the Tanakh (OT so called) and Greek Scriptures (NT so called), do differ on reports of God. This is because different peoples' (tribes and individuals') exp of God/dess differs and evolves over time.

As an example: The Hebrews also worshiped a goddess. Her name was Asherah, her title: Queen of Heaven.
#9 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 09:43 AM

Read Exodus 33.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/b...on&showxref=on

Note the inconsistencies.

It reports Moses and YHWH speak face to face. It says YHWH will send his presence (shekinah, I guess is the Hebrew), or an angel (messenger? representative?) to the people. Moses will see YHWH's "glory." It reports later Moses may not see YHWH's face, only his back.

???

Still, no skin color.
#10 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I'm going to have my son read this thread and then he can discuss with his friend.

Darylll- I addressed it to Xtians because Jews read the Old Testament, (though I'm sure some have read the new testament), and I wanted to know if there are references ANYWHERE in the old/new testament, and figured Xtians would know more- also, this kid is Xtian, so I wanted that perspective

Kristi

#11 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 02:51 PM

The only ones I can think of is the ones refering to him being "white as snow" and "radiant white light" (I will look thse up for you but I have to go pick up my dd) but neither of those passages are refering to skin color and they are certainly not refering to the rosy pinks that get passed off as white people. thay are talking about WHITE.

I will get back to you.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 02:52 PM

there are twisted people who could twist any verse into anything.

#13 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 03:10 PM

Good try lilyka. But it is the clothes that are white. The face is simply, shining.

Who does this refer to?

Quote:
Daniel 7:9
As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days (another name for YHWH, or a different god?) took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze.
and Jesus:

Quote:
Matthew 17:2
There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.

Matthew 28:3
His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow.

Mark 9:3
His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them.
Most of the refs in the Bible to "white" are about leprousy, goats or walls.

More emphasis is placed on the sun/fire god aspect, IMO.
#14 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 04:48 PM

God is white?
What a silly idea. :

God *is*.
Not white, not black, not an old man with a beard. He just *is*.

I know Revelation does mention that Jesus will be clothed in white when he returns and have white hair, but it's apocalyptical kind of stuff (also having a sword sticking out of his mouth) so who knows what it really means.
#15 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 04:49 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT!
eta: Okay, I have more time to post more of my thoughts but I haven't read the previous posts except capp's above so I apologize if I am repeating something....

The Bible does NOT say that He is white. The Bible does say a lot about God's heart and that God is Love.

Furthermore, I do not believe that Jesus is white by any means. The european depiction is so false. Attractive to many, but false.

He returns with woolen like hair which tells me he is not white by any means. I do not think he was white when he was born, either or during his life. Adan and Eve, after all were created and procreated in what is now Iran an, imo, white skin didn't show up in the world until after peoples crossed the Caucasus mtns and settled north of them.

more to say but you know, i gotta go back to the kiddos....

#16 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 05:45 PM

Thats the one. But like I said, twister can twist anything. especially if they are doing it intentionally.

#17 of 36 Old 04-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned

I like the response a mom who was white and Jewish who married a black man and had a slew of children. When asked what color is G-d she answered, "The color of water"

DB
#18 of 36 Old 04-17-2004, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaryLLL
if he did exist.
referring to Jesus

Your kidding right?
#19 of 36 Old 04-17-2004, 08:27 AM

No, actually. But that is another thread.
#20 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 12:47 AM

OT:
Megan_Cherry,

I don't know if you are trying to be rude with that comment, or are just terribly naive, but I think comments like this is why so many people accuse us Christians of being narrow minded. Please realize that there are a huge number of people who debate the existence and/or the role of Jesus who might find these kinds of comments insulting and annoying. Please be respectful and realize that this is not a "Christian Spirituality" forum, it is a "Spirituality" forum.

Back on point, I also think some of the misinterpretation might be due to the limits of language...white is equated with purity throughout the bible (and other texts as well, I believe) and is often used to describe the indescribeable. It does really sicken me that people would purposely put such a twisted distortion in a child's mind.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#21 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 09:03 AM

T

Megan_Cherry said:
Quote:
referring to Jesus

Your kidding right?
Megan_Cherry,
JenniferZ made a good point and one to which I wouldn't normally add as it was so well done, but I felt I also needed to chime in my two cents, as this is such an important issue and it needs to be emphasized.

MDC is a community of many faiths, much different from what some of us experience "in real life."

In real life, I don't currently hang out with non-Christians. I live in the Bible Belt, attend a church, and as it so happens, the kids and parents we associate with through school, ball, and scouts all happen to be Christians.

However, that's only the slice of life that I experience. Sure, there are Muslims, Jews, B'ahai, and many other faiths in my town. I just don't happen to work with or have other contact with these people.

The Internet is a great leveler and we are able to come into contact with many diverse people through this medium. There are no geographic or other constraints upon our association with people, therefore not everybody we meet is going to be "just like us." So we have to learn to practice an open-mindedness to these differences.

I personally have found this a wonderful and growing experience. I have met wonderful, thoughtful people who have enriched me in so many ways. This has not endangered my faith. It has changed it, yes, but has not eliminated it. In fact, I feel it is deeper and more personal due to the growth I have experienced, in a large part due to participation here in this forum.

Many of my IRL friends and acquaintances would be astounded at the variety of people that I "know" on the Internet. Many of them would be astounded at the idea that one could make a questioning statement about the existence of Jesus. But this isn't the Bible Belt - the Internet is a whole different world.

Peace,
#22 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 10:22 AM

Thanks, Jennifer and Tracy. Well said.
#23 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 12:05 PM

For those of you who don't know Megan_Cherry, she's a new Christian and has been involved with other religions. She's well aware of the diversity that's out there and is hardly spiritually provincial.
#24 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Banned

What does a 'new' Christian have to do with how we behave here at MDC?

Do 'new' believers get special treatment (aka public defense)? I'm totally confused here. What is your point, Super Pickle?
#25 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 12:27 PM

My point is that she didn't just fall off a turnip truck--she has done plenty of spiritual exploration and the research-- so all this scolding and trying to make her aware that not everyone in the world is Christian is a little...patronizing.

It probably wasn't appropriate for me to derail the thread and start a discussion about someone else's post. Sorry.
#26 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 01:32 PM

I can't believe she was patronized for asking "you're kidding right?". It seems to be that the worst was assumed of her without even asking if she meant what you assumed of her.

I am more concerned about her public attack than her public defense, though. I found that entire digression not necessary. Someone just could have asked her what she meant....

And of course, many of you can dismiss me too. After all, I was raised Muslim, researched all the major religions, considered converting to Judaism, then I became a Christian after spending three months researching the issue of whether Christ was the Messiah. This happened 15 years ago and my relationship with Christ has been dynamic and growing ever since. (although I have a LOOOOOOONG way to go.) And I have close friends who are Pagan, Hindi, Muslim, Sufi, & Christian. So, I guess, you could assume that I am narrow-minded or naive, too, because, GASP, I believe Jesus was not only a real person in history but is who He said He is.

If someome were to then follow up my last sentence by saying, "you're kidding right?" I wouldn't be offended at all. I'd invite dialouge and I believe that DaryLLL did in her initial response. The rest, IMHO, was really not needed based on what MC wrote.

I know many of you, myself included, have legitimate anger and gripes at Christianity and Christians but from MC's post, I just do not think we can assume the worst of her....

Just my two cents and my apologies to the OP and others for not being able to let this digression pass....
#27 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 02:38 PM

I sincerely apologize. I admit I made an assumption based on the content of the message (or lack thereof).

Again, I apologize to all for the post and for hijacking the thread.

(Edited to add: obviously I have lots of issues involving these subjects and let it override my better judgment.)
#28 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 04:12 PM

I'm sorry too for fueling the fire.

Back to the OP,
You know what I heard from a friend as a child? This is such a shocker that it is actually really hard for me to type it out but here goes: That her father had told her that white people came from Adam and Eve but black people evolved from monkeys.
#29 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You know what I heard from a friend as a child? This is such a shocker that it is actually really hard for me to type it out but here goes: That her father had told her that white people came from Adam and Eve but black people evolved from monkeys.
You just brought back a suppressed memory for me. I remember hearing that from somewhere in my childhood also from a childhood friend. I had completely forgotten about it until you said this! UnbeLIEvable!
#30 of 36 Old 04-18-2004, 07:09 PM
lab

same here tracymom! I have heard this as well.

Isn't that sad!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page