SIN??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Ken Ham from AIG (Answers in Genesis) says that NOT believeing in a 6 Day creation is a sin. So if you don't believe SIX 24 HR days

it is a FLAT out SIN.

So what you think sin?

Sorry for mistakes NAK

#2 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had never heard of this site, so I went there, and I find the whole thing baffling, and if I didn't know any better I would think it was a joke. For example the information on Lucy the australopithecus and the species is down right wrong, and not only wrong but misleading, the information on this species walking upright is not only based on fossilized footprints, but the angle of hips, the location of the entrance of the spinal column into the skull and many other physical indicators.

Just based on the little look I had around I could not in good faith believe anything from that site, and it seems to be deliberately inflammatory and dangerously misleading about science, and generally if someone is misleading about one thing, you can take anything else they say with a pinch of salt. Just to be clear this is a real site and not satire right?  hide.gif

#3 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
Just to be clear this is a real site and not satire right?  hide.gif

Not the OP, but that is a real site. The Creation Museum is a real place in Kentucky whose  purpose is to educate people that dinosaurs and people lived on Earth at the same time.

I will try to answer this without treading on anyone's beliefs by telling you what I believe. Which is not intelligent design. I believe evolution 100%. 

But I also don't believe in the Original Sin. In my personal spirituality, I don't dwell on all of the wrong things that humans do, but rejoice in the good. I do not believe human nature is inherently sinful. I also don't believe in the devil. In fact, the idea of sin very rarely comes up on my radar, unless I am talking to someone else who believes in it (my parents, most frequently). As a child, I was told that a person sins every minute of every day. Babies sin. People in comas sin. Everyone sins, all the time, everywhere. It's one of the first concepts I questioned as an adult.

So, no, I do not agree with Answers in Genesis that not believing in a 6 day creation is a sin. But to him, I would be an unbeliever, a heathen that does not have a biblical worldview, what have you, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt!

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#4 of 13 Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM

I hope I didn''t offend anyone, I did some searching and found out it was a real site, I am studying to be an anthropological geneticist so it was particularly strange for me to see information that I know to be wrong, and not just wrong but rather outrageously so, I was rather taken aback by it. Apparently ken Ham is originally Australian, which is odd, as I am too, and I don't think I have even met a young earth creationist in real life, it doesn't seem to very pervasive here. 

Op, every person I have ever met who believes in sin has their own personal belief as to what that entails, usually that happens to be whatever that person happens to hold true ;) However I also long ago gave up the belief of sin, I just endevour to do good, and bring happiness to others and the world, so take that for what its worth. Considering I am a pagan and an "evolutionist" I don't even want to know where he thinks I am headed! 

#5 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post

I hope I didn''t offend anyone, I did some searching and found out it was a real site, I am studying to be an anthropological geneticist so it was particularly strange for me to see information that I know to be wrong, and not just wrong but rather outrageously so, I was rather taken aback by it.

yeahthat.gif

I had the same reaction, too. I majored in Anthropology & Psychology in college, so, yeah....sort of strange to see. The only reason I had heard of him is I just happened to watch Bill Maher's documentary, Religulous, last week. The Creation Museum is one of the places he visited.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#6 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

I just ask a question....I was hoping that to see what people believe in original sin feel about this. But I did not ask that question. So it is open to whom ever want to talk.

#7 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

I just ask a question....I was hoping that to see what people believe in original sin feel about this. But I did not ask that question. So it is open to whom ever want to talk.

I believe in Original Sin, which was caused by the first humans breaking God's command and has as a result the flaws of our human nature.  I also believe in theistic evolution, meaning that I believe in evolution as the work of God.  That is how I was taught in Catholic school and it is still what I believe.  Science explains how and when it happened, religion explains Who did it and why. 

I have never heard of Kim Ham or AIG (although I do see commercials for the Creation Museum in my local TV stations). 

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#8 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Disclaimer:  I'm agnostic but the way I was raised was to believe that certain affirmative acts are sin.  Questioning, reasoning, trying to understand and sort through stuff...those things are not sin.  G-d gave us the ability to question, reason, ask why, doubt, etc.  Blind obedience and buying into the so-called program seem anti-G-d to me.  So questioning the six-day creation?  Not a sin, in my opinion.  Affirmatively hurting others or the "creation" for either your own benefit or just for the heck of it?  Wrong.  Literal interpretation of the bible and other texts.  Wrong, IMO.  People use the same literal translations of the bible to justify spanking and other wrongs.  I'm not buying it.  :)

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#9 of 13 Old 08-05-2012, 09:21 PM

First of all, do you have a link to Ken Ham saying this? 

Second, I believe in Original Sin, a literal 6 day (24 hour period) creation and a young earth. Do I think that everyone who does not believe in these things is sinning? No. For some it may be a sin and for others it may not depending on the individual. The first 11 chapters of Genesis are vital for a complete and correct understanding of salvation. 

Here is an article from AiG by Ken Ham on the necessity of believing in a literal six day creation. http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cm/v18/n1/six-days

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#10 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

No link to Ken Ham. BUT in the Answers Mag. (July-Sept 2012) Their is an acticle  Old- Earth Creationism- Is It a sin to be wrong?

See the thing is...I see the point being is Jesus the Messiah. NOT creation and how many hours.

#11 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I believe in young earth creation and biblical accuracy. I've not sure if I consider it sin or not to affirm you don't, but in my view we're all sinners - we all fall short of glory - and grace is offered for all of it. For those following God, he'll bring correction directly if we let him. Unless God leads me to advise someone specific on something out of love, their sin is none of my business really. So sin or not really I don't believe any of us would be damned for getting some details wrong as long as we have the heart of it right (which would be: Jesus was capable of trading his glory and life for our sin and death, anything we've done or will do is forgiven due to Jesus' sacrifice, and after receiving that we try to follow Him henceforth). I mean really if you have to know every detail of God and the Universe correctly, or even just every single thing you could learn from close study of the Bible, not a one of us could be saved. And ditto if you had to avoid all sin or else.

Hmm, guess I really put it out there with the fundamental Christian thing, flames are sure to come for this, I think I'll unsubscribe from this one after I post.

#12 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM

I wonder why this is even important? I mean religion is entirely built on faith, not science. There is no need to prove anything. You either believe or you don’t on face value. The bible says that God created the earth in 6 days. Why would any Christians bother to debate this? It does not seem that important. It’s not like debating what is lying or idol worship where humans need some guidance on what is sin worthy.

And I find it odd that a guy decided it was a sin to not believe something. A guy decided, not God. Cause if it’s that easy… I can think of some too. LOL

CatsCradle likes this.
#13 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 AM

According to my beliefs:

"Sin is the seeking of our own will instead of the will of God, thus distorting our relationship with God, with other people, and with all creation."

http://anglicansonline.org/basics/catechism.html#Sin%20and%20Redemption

Then there's the traditional Seven Deadly Sins

• Anger
  • Envy
  • Greed
  • Gluttony
  • Lust
  • Sloth
  • Pride

Naszmum,

The believing in a 6-day literal creation is not common among many Christians (e.g. Roman Catholics, Episcopalians, etc.).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page