I don't celebrate holidays - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm a Christian who is non-denominational. I don't celebrate holidays because they are steeped in pagan tradition and the Bible says:

Galations 4:10-11  Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Mark 7:13  Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Jeremiah 10:2-4  Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.   (X-mas trees)

Job 1:4-5   And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.   (birthdays...)

Those are just some Biblical references for my reasoning. But anyways, I don't celebrate holidays or birthdays, and I was wondering if I'm alone in that?

I would love to fellowship with other moms who believe the same things as my family does. I live in Cleveland, and would love to set up play dates with our kids, that way my child can have some same-thinking friends. Or if you don't have kids yet or yours are older I would love to just have a woman friend. It's so hard to find born again Christian friends these days.

#2 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering! Just thought I'd bump your post up for input. You might also want to post over in our Tribal Areas forum for the Ohio area. 

#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 AM

Hello i am a JW, and we don't celebrate holidays or birthdays, either.

While some of the scriptures you posted we don't ascribe the same meaning to, we don't celebrate them due to their pagan aspects.

Was their something that you wanted to.discuss?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#4 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Hi There!
 I don't celebrate any of the holidays like that either. This was an excellent documentary I watched. There are way more of us out there than we realize. http://119ministries.com/videoteachings.aspx?viewcontentpageguid=afc9e63a-5067-4b1d-9ba8-74736496b446&parentnavigationid=28668

I am not a part of the formal organization JW. However any of us who are believers are indeed Jehovah's (Hashem/YHWH/etc) Witness to the world.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page