kosher bakeware question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not Jewish and have had limited exposure to kosher laws. My kids went to a Jewish preschool with the separate kitchens and strict rules about what was allowed into the school. That's the extent of my exposure.  I'm looking at some bakeware that is kosher certified.  The company says this certification shows that food (and the material the bakeware is constructed from) is not transferred to/into the bakeware and then back into the next batch of food; that there's no material transfer. I can't find anything online about guidelines for certifying cookware and bakeware.  Can any of you direct me there?  And in general does this sound right?

Do families that keep a kosher kitchen actually use kosher certified ware for both meat and dairy? Is the certification guarantee enough that the food won't transfer? 

Anything else I should know about? Not being Jewish, I'm not concerned about food transferring but more about the materials, off gassing, etc.  Thanks!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM

I'm not a follower of Judaism, so I am really shooting in the dark here, but I can add what I think I know and someone can correct as needed. We keep 'kosher', but more kararite type than rabbinical. (IE: We will eat dairy with our meat)

I have never heard of kosher bake wear as something you buy special.

In true kosher kitchens I know that there are various pots, pans, plates for meats/dairy/what have you, separated.

The meat pot never boils milk in it, as an example.

Some places have separate refrigerators. It really depends on how orthodox the person keeping Kosher chooses to be. A kararite kosher kitchen will look much different than a Hasidic kosher kitchen.

AFAIK - if you have a plate for meat, you don't serve ice cream and cake on it even if you wash it. Now, there is a saying 4 Jews 5 opinions and that is so true.This is my understanding so ymmv. :) Hope I helped

Any one can add or correct to what I know?

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-18-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan View Post

I'm not Jewish and have had limited exposure to kosher laws. My kids went to a Jewish preschool with the separate kitchens and strict rules about what was allowed into the school. That's the extent of my exposure.  I'm looking at some bakeware that is kosher certified.  The company says this certification shows that food (and the material the bakeware is constructed from) is not transferred to/into the bakeware and then back into the next batch of food; that there's no material transfer. I can't find anything online about guidelines for certifying cookware and bakeware.  Can any of you direct me there?  And in general does this sound right?

Do families that keep a kosher kitchen actually use kosher certified ware for both meat and dairy? Is the certification guarantee enough that the food won't transfer? 

Anything else I should know about? Not being Jewish, I'm not concerned about food transferring but more about the materials, off gassing, etc.  Thanks!

I (an Orthodox Jew) have kept kosher in my own kitchen for almost 2 decades and have never heard of such a thing. I have separate dishware for dairy and meat, and I have a few items that are always kept pareve (neither dairy nor meat). Certain things can be kashered (i.e. made kosher) with a process of immersion in boiling water if they are made of unbroken/soldered metal and following certain protocols.

There is a procedure where we immerse any dishware/food prep items in a mikvah prior to using them. This renders them fit for use in a kosher home, spiritually (it has nothing to do with physical cleanliness).

Can I ask what specifically your concern is and why this matters? If you are preparing food for others who do keep kosher or want to bring the food into a kosher home/institution, there will be other issues beyond the dishware with regard to the kashrut status of your food. If you are concerned for yourself, the only material that is considered totally impermeable for this purpose is glass; but we still have the custom to keep dishware/bakeware separated even if it's glass.

Hope this helps. Rainbow.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page