Adultery in the Bible - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

My husband and I were having a discussion, and  I said that in the Bible there is something about adultery that states, those who condone adultery are also guilty of adultery themselves.

My DH says there is no such thing in the Bible.

I have since tried to find what I *thought* I saw, that people who condone adultery are also guilty of it.  And I cannot find it! 

Does anyone know what passage I'm talking about, or did I totally make this up in my head

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I've heard something along the lines that if you've thought about a sin, you've already committed it in your heart.  But I feel like I remember a lot of things in the Bible that I can't find later.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

But I feel like I remember a lot of things in the Bible that I can't find later.

lol!  me too!  =)  I was so sure that I had read something along those lines, and now I can't find it.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Matthew 5:27-30 discusses the idea that if you commit a sin in your heart it's as bad as if you actually did it. 

I'm not aware of a passage that says if you condone it then it is as bad as doing it yourself, but that view doesn't seem to be much of a stretch from the view in the Matthew passage. Not doing it but thinking about it isn't too dissimilar from not doing it and not thinking about it but thinking it would be okay to do it. 

Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

But I couldn't find anything which specifically said if you condone it it is as though you committed adultery. We are instructed not to cause others to son though and I'm sure supporting others in sin is not in the spirit of the commandments even if the Bible doesn't specifically say, word for word, " if you support adultery you are as an adulterer".

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

if it makes difference, we were talking about whether you are guilty of  adultery if you know a couple is having an affair, and you let them sneak around on their spouses and use your house to meet up.. and basically welcome them into your circle (have dinner with them, go on couples vacations with them, etc) 

I said that the homeowner was guilty of adultery, since she aided it.  DH said there is nothing in the Bible to back my claim up. 

Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM

Hmm, so we are looking for something more broad about your guilt if you are complicit in someone else's sin. I don't know if you can technically say someone who hasn't cheated on their own spouse is guilty of adultery. But is your DH arguing that this person's behavior is okay? Is the argument over whether their behavior is a sin, or whether it's specifically adultery?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I think aiding and abetting sin is also sinful. I don't know that it is described as "if you assist then you are guilty of the same sin". I'm not aware of that being said in the Bible but my theological knowledge is not faultless :-)
However, all sin is equally bad* so, it hardly matters if it's adultery or helping someone to commit adultery. Sin is sin.

* I am aware that the Catholic Church has categories of sin, however this is not a view supported by the Protestant church which is the perspective from which I write.

ETA http://www.openbible.info/topics/causing_another_to_stumble

Here is some food for though for your husband regarding the sin of others and our part in it. His position is not biblically defensible IMO

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Hi since you are speaking about the Bible: If he or she is in your Christian Church then

When elders learn about serious wrongdoing, they approach the individual involved to give needed help and correction. It is the elders’ responsibility to judge such ones inside the Christian congregation. Keeping a close watch on its spiritual condition, they assist and admonish anyone who is taking an unwise or wrong step.—1 Corinthians 5:12, 13; 2 Timothy 4:2; 1 Peter 5:1, 2.

But what if you are not an elder and you come to know about some serious wrongdoing on the part of another Christian? Guidelines are found in the Law that God gave to the nation of Israel. The Law stated that if a person was a witness to apostate acts, sedition, murder, or certain other serious crimes, it was his responsibility to report it and to testify to what he knew. Leviticus 5:1 states: “Now in case a person sins in that he has heard public cursing and he is a witness or he has seen it or has come to know of it, if he does not report it, then he must answer for his error.”—Compare Deuteronomy 13:6-8; Esther 6:2; Proverbs 29:24.

Though not under the Mosaic Law, Christians today can be guided by the principles behind it. (Psalm 19:7, 8) So if you learn about the serious wrongdoing of a fellow Christian, what should you do?

First of all, it is important that there is valid reason to believe that serious wrongdoing has really occurred. “Do not become a witness against your fellowman without grounds,” stated the wise man. “Then you would have to be foolish with your lips.”—Proverbs 24:28.
You may decide to go directly to the elders. It is not wrong to do so. Usually, however, the most loving course is to approach the person involved. Perhaps the facts are not as they appear to be. Or perhaps the situation is already being handled by the elders. Calmly discuss the matter with the person. If there remains reason to believe that a serious wrong has been committed, encourage him or her to approach the elders for help, and explain the wisdom of doing so. Do not talk to others about the matter, for that would be gossip.

If the person does not report to the elders within a reasonable period of time, then you should. One or two elders will then discuss the matter with the accused. The elders need to “search and investigate and inquire thoroughly” to see if wrong has been done. If it has, they will handle the case according to Scriptural guidelines.—Deuteronomy 13:12-14.

At least two witnesses are required to establish a charge of wrongdoing. (John 8:17; Hebrews 10:28) If the person denies the charge and your testimony is the only one, the matter will be left in God’s hands. (1 Timothy 5:19, 24, 25) This is done in the knowledge that all things are “openly exposed” to God and that if the person is guilty, eventually his sins will “catch up” with him.—Hebrews 4:13; Numbers 32:23. Hope this helps.

User Tag List