is anyone reading "The Pagan Christ"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-02-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This is a book recently published by Tom Harpur. My husband and I started reading it together yesterday. I am just wondering if anyone else is reading it and would care to discuss it.
#2 of 4 Old 05-09-2004, 07:40 PM
lab

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not read this book.

I did just finish two other books on Jesus and your book sounds interesting....

Do you mind giving me an idea as to what you thought of it?

I will plan on getting it and post!

Thanks!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds16

#3 of 4 Old 05-10-2004, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have too much going on these days to get any reading done (except MDC of course!) - dh working day nad night, hs'ing, mom having surgery tomorrow adn being her caregivedr - but I do plan to read it! Maybe tomorrow while waiting for mom at the hospital I will read a few more chapters.
#4 of 4 Old 05-10-2004, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read it, but have seen his website. Pagan Christ looks like a good companion to Spong and Freke/Gandy.

http://www.tomharpur.com/Reviews/PaganChrist.asp

A review and letters from readers:

Quote:
This is Harpur's most radical and groundbreaking work to date, in which he digs deep into the origins of Christianity and how the early Christian church covered up all attempts to reveal the Bible as myth.

You have brilliantly summed up what my belief system has been for years. If we look at ALL religious texts as myth and metaphor we can learn so much about ourselves and the connectedness of everyone and everything.

it is awesome to be given permission, so to speak, to see the Bible in a metaphorical manner.

I grew up a frustrated Lutheran. There were so many things which, from the literalist view made no sense at all, yet whenever I asked questions about it, I was told to just "Trust and Obey!". Your book is a complete validation of everything I knew to be true on a very basic intuitive level. After many years of inner turmoil and guilt, I have finally caught a glimpse of the True Light! My life and my spirituality will never be the same again. Thank you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page