Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i need a nap....double post...sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 05-05-2004, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hm, hotmama. Sorry, I was just offerring some facts and an opinion. Your tongue-in-cheekiness was not apparent to me. You seemed sincere.

I hope you get a great nap and get over your breast infection too!

I think you must have unconsciously picked up on the CS Lewis somewhere in your studies! Or you channeled it. Did a google, here is one pg about it. I didn't read this page, so do not know the final consensus of the author.

http://www.aslan.demon.co.uk/trilemma.htm
#33 of 37 Old 05-05-2004, 05:12 PM

Quote:
People were born into the chosen group though- one couldn't convert to being an Israelite.
I just wanted to point out a small error here. I believe that the whole story of Ruth and Naomi is about Ruth following her Mother in Law, who was an Isrealite, back to her land. From this book we get the famous quote "Whither thou goest, I will go. Your people will become my people". So my understanding has always been that one could convert to being an Isrealite, it was hard to, but you could. But few people ever WANTED to convert to being an Isrealite.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#34 of 37 Old 05-05-2004, 08:01 PM

Saw the conversion post before but was trying to stay out of the thread, but will comment quickly ... conversion to being an Israelite/Jew has *always* been available to anyone who was sincerely interested in conversion.

Birth was the determining factor in an Israelite's status ... meaning a Levite or a Kohen, perhaps, and which tribe they were from ... but conversion in happened throughout the ages.

Not in great numbers, though ... it wasn't so easy to convert in the first place, and then after the exile, when the millenias of anti-Jewish oppressions began, what sort of crazy person would want to?
#35 of 37 Old 05-05-2004, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
Saw the conversion post before but was trying to stay out of the thread, but will comment quickly ... conversion to being an Israelite/Jew has *always* been available to anyone who was sincerely interested in conversion.

Birth was the determining factor in an Israelite's status ... meaning a Levite or a Kohen, perhaps, and which tribe they were from ... but conversion in happened throughout the ages.

Not in great numbers, though ... it wasn't so easy to convert in the first place, and then after the exile, when the millenias of anti-Jewish oppressions began, what sort of crazy person would want to?
That would be ME. I was going to convert to Judaism when the whole issue of the Messiah came up. I had to look at who Christ was and after a long period of time of research and prayer to Yahweh, I decided to Believe in Jesus Christ.
Just my experience.

Thanks for clarifying Merpk. And I truly hope that I did not and have not offended you. If I have will you please PM me?

DaryLLL-- I am sorry I got so angry at you. I was wrong to let my temper get ahead of me and I am deeply sorry. I tend to disagree with how you post facts or opinion and rather than telling you privately, I blew up and I am sorry. I care more for you than that.

That said, I disagree that the Gospels are a midrash of exodus with some psalms thrown in. more on why, later...

And I disagree with your statement about certain 'redactors' There are plenty of biblical scholars who feel that there is a theme of relationship, love and messiahship consistent thoughout the Tanahk, Gospels, and Epistles. One can dare not say that I know their intentions or efforts. That is what struck me as condescending.

Channelling Lewis? he, he.... Remember how bent he was, prior to becoming a Believer, in disproving the Bible? He was a man on a mission and with Academia supporting Him. Then he read so much of the Bible and scholarship that he ended up Believing that Christ was the Messiah. And what followed for Lewis was a long series of books outlining his personal journey, His relationship with God, some incredible children's books, and some books on what it means to mature in Christ.

Anyway, I'll read that link when I can. I had no idea that Lewis said anything but then again, I haven't read all of his writings. He has so much prior and post-conversion to read.

I haven't had a nap yet. I am weary and discouraged today. I love my four children but I am just beginning to shut down but before I do....

Rainbow & others--I sure hope that you see my snippiness with DaryLLL as my humanness not as being a b*tchy Christian. I sure can be b*tchy but it is completely separate from my Faith. In fact, it is my Faith that calls me to love well beyond my b*tchiness. And, oh how often I fail--esp with dh, IYKWIM

okay, i am outta here. i don't want to get all b*tchy with my kids and need to redirect them. They are feeling my distance emotionally and I need to regroup and keep on going.

#36 of 37 Old 05-06-2004, 12:27 AM

That was my mistake then- I knew when I posted that I might be mistaken so I said so

hmc- oh please, we are have our human times seriously... I don't think anyone took it as a reflection of your faith.
#37 of 37 Old 05-07-2004, 09:58 AM

Still waiting for that PM, hotmamacita. Whenever you feel up to it...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page