Why are Christian parents afraid of Pagan influences? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2004, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Based upon your example from the "building metaphor":

soph·is·try ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sf-str)
n. pl. soph·is·tries

1. Plausible but fallacious argumentation.
2. A plausible but misleading or fallacious argument.
3. The practice of a sophist; fallacious reasoning; reasoning sound in appearance only.

"The juggle of sophistry consists, for the most part, in using a word in one sense in the premise, and in another sense in the conclusion." --Coleridge.

I had no idea I was going over your head. I thought you had said you had a degree in Philosophy or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 10:56 PM

I don't think her use of metaphor was in any way deceiving or fallacious tho!?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:58 AM

I have not had a chance to read anything but the OP and I just wanted to say that I am not afraid at all of Pagan influences. And I know other Bible-believing Christians who feel the same way.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:57 AM

I am catholic....Took my children to see brother bear...Bought dvd for them.

As a christian, I believe God is in all things. Couldn't that mean bears, eagles, buffalo?

The movie teaches to love one another and be kind to nature and your suuroundings. I have friends of many faiths christain, jewish, buddist, hidu, pagen, atheist...and they all believe in these virtues.

I don't think this is a religious debate. I encourage my children to learn about all cultures and religions. Knowledge is power. Ignorance is death. If we really take a look at the core of our different faiths we will realize that we are really not that different.

I do not encourage things that promote hate, arrogance, or prejudice. There are few religions as far as I am aware that promote such behavior.

Proud catholic who allows my children to watch films from all religions.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 09-15-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
The movie teaches to love one another and be kind to nature and your suuroundings. I have friends of many faiths christain, jewish, buddist, hidu, pagen, atheist...and they all believe in these virtues.
I appreciate your tolerance AngelBee.

I do not usually mention spelling mistakes, however, in the interest of respect, I wanted to point out, the only religions you spelt properly were Jewish and Catholic. And you might want to capitalize them as well.

Christian, Buddhist, Pagan, Hindu (actually properly called Sanatana Dharma).

Thanks!

/geek
Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 PM

That sometimes happens when you have a learning disability......OOOOPPPPSSS!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 09-15-2004, 02:05 PM

I am sorry, but I can't help posting this, even though it is OT:

Please AngelBee, never feel embarassed about your learning disability. DH has dyslexia and I know very well how much he has gone through because of people who are just too eager to "help" him by pointing out his spelling mistakes in public. He has made a conscious choice not to feel humiliated about it anymore , because once people find out he suffers from dyslexia they realize they had been ignorant and judgmental.

P.S. Despite his dyslexia, DH is a very successful pastor and teacher who masters Latin and Greek. (and English is his second language).

User Tag List