Former/Questioning/Current LDS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi there.
I don't know if anyone else is still around, the other thread kind of dwindled away...but I'm still here. I'm a "former" now instead of "questioning" and I'd love to continue the discussion if anybody is up to it. Its kind of a strange phase transitioning out of religion that reaches into so many aspects of your life. I'm sure its also very difficult to transition back into the church after a period of questioning.
Peace,
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 08:50 PM

Are the currents out now, then?

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, no. I didn't mean to exclude currents. Everyone is welcome of course.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 PM

2much, what have you kept in your life that is Church-ish, and what have you dropped (besides the obvious)? Are you at a point where you think even the BoM is a fraud, or do you just think the Church got off-track at some point?

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have anything in my life that is "church-ish" right now. I do have some very strong spiritual beliefs that, of course, are always with me, but I feel very drawn away from "church-ish" endevours right now. I am enjoying a little lull in spiritual practices, but I know it is only a temporary effect of this complete change of spiritual ideas I have gone through. I feel that sometime in the next year I will probably start incorporating some pagan/earthbased traditions into our family and I will start serious meditation practice and perhaps yoga. I don't think I'll ever belong to a church group again. Its just not something I feel I'll ever go for again. I'm disillusioned/disenchanted with formal religions.

I do believe the BoM is a "fraud". I have read and opened my eyes to too much to believe that the church was ever true.

So that's where I am. Thank you so much for asking KMJ.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:00 PM

2much2luv, thanks for starting a new thread...

I've been so consumed lately with political activism (spending time on the Activism forum here at MDC) that I haven't kept up on Spirituality. I have felt a moral obligation based on my spiritual beliefs to do everything in my limited power to bring about social change (as in regime change at the presidential level). And now, after another nightmare election with massive voter suppression and potentially fraud, I am committed to actively fighting for election reform so every voter has an equal opportunity to vote as well as ensuring data integrity of electronic voting.

I too have been disillusioned with formal religion although I am still in the questioning mode and partly active. My dh has chosen not to be actively involved in the LDS church and doesn't feel the need to find a new organized religion to join. He says his personal spiritual beliefs (as well as political) do not correspond to the LDS church's doctrine and practice. I can completely understand his thoughts.

I would pose a question to any questioning or former LDS, how have your family traditions surrounding Christmas changed since you are no longer actively involved in the LDS church? (in terms of how you talk about the holiday with your little ones).
Old 12-03-2004, 08:51 PM

Thanks for answering, 2much. There are so many ways to be former (from Martin Harris, who left the Church but always defended the BoM, to those who start fighting against the Church and all for which it stands) that I like to get clarification.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are so many ways to be former
There sure are, and I'd say I line up around the middle of the road. I'm no more "anti-mormon" then I am anti any religion.

mothernurture, I applaud your activism. Election reform is something we should get involved it too. Can I ask what you are doing to help the cause?

Quote:
I would pose a question to any questioning or former LDS, how have your family traditions surrounding Christmas changed since you are no longer actively involved in the LDS church? (in terms of how you talk about the holiday with your little ones).
Since we left Christianity as we left the church we, obviously, have a whole new focus this year. I have to admit I'm not doing much for their spiritual development right now, other than the basic "be good, love everyone" type of things. I figure this next year (or more) will be spent sort of figuring out what I do believe and want to teach them. I am reading several spritual books and I feel myself being attracted to earth based/pagan rituals/religions so we will probably celebrate the Yule in some form in the future. Other then that I am really enjoying having a purely secular Christmas this year. We're doing a tree and Santa and the spirit of giving, baking and spending time with family. Really there is enough to fill the holidays with and Jesus hasn't even come up even though I'm pretty sure my oldest remembers how the focus was on Jesus last year. If it does come up we'll tell them that Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ at this time. I'm not even completely comfortable with phasing him out completely as he is so much a part of the culture we live in. Plus I think he was probably a great guy if he truly lived. Mainly I just want to phase out the worship of Jesus, not the knowledge of him.

Quote:
He says his personal spiritual beliefs (as well as political) do not correspond to the LDS church's doctrine and practice. I can completely understand his thoughts.
The political issues are what put the nail in the coffin for my husband. When he found out about the churches financial support of anti-gay-marriage movements that was it. I wonder if some of the doctrinal and spiritual problems women have with the church are less of a problem for men? I mean, the doctrinal issues and history bothered him too, but it was the current political action that really helped him see that we didn't belong in the church.

The bombshell sort of fell on my MIL. She finally came out and asked my dh if we were going or not and why. He just made it clear, for once, that we weren't going on purpose (not "we've been sick...busy,...tired") and asked her if she really wanted to know why. She didn't so he didn't go into it. She got all teary and it was sort of hard for us to see. After that there were a couple of situations of trying to get our kids to church, but she hasn't broached the subject again. She does have other inactive children so I'm sure she knows how to handle it at this point.

Other then that nothing is new with us. No one from church has visited or called. I'd like to ask those that have officially left the church, how long did you wait after inactivity before making it official? Was there some event that made you send in the resignation or did you just feel it was time? What was your experience? I mean, was it easy cut and dry, did anything happen that you weren't expecting?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:39 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I didn't make it "official" and don't really feel the need to.

You may want to check out a Unitarian Universalist church. There are a lot of "former" LDS there, at least where I live. My dh calls it the "bring your own God" church.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 12-04-2004, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

I have heard a whole lot of good things about the UU church and if I ever feel the inclination to go to a church and we live near a UU that will most definately be my choice.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
I'd like to ask those that have officially left the church, how long did you wait after inactivity before making it official? Was there some event that made you send in the resignation or did you just feel it was time? What was your experience? I mean, was it easy cut and dry, did anything happen that you weren't expecting?
Alright well for me I had been inactive since I was 18 (when my dad could no longer force to to go to church). So that is now 11 years. I went back briefly for a baptism for my Mom's boyfriend at the time but now husband. They were married a few months ago in the temple. Anyways......and I went back briefly for a short time after my 3rd son was born I think it was. Its funny it already seems so long ago and another life. My husband was pretty supportive of me going back at first b/c I was continuing going to our other church. When I told him I was going to stop going to "our" church he was very upset. He showed me all the anti mormon literature (which I thought it was since they tell you to not look at any in the religion, naturally). After seeing it, it was like a knife to my heart and stomach. It was a slow process but after much research, help from fellow Christians (not mormons!) I have been able to let go. Aside from the constant reminder from my family since both my father and mother are involved strongly in the church we do okay.

What made me realize that it was time to have my name removed from church records was shortly after I accepted Jesus Christ as my lord and savior that way May 04.

All you need to do is accept him. You don't have to talk to "authority within the church" about your sins. You go straight to him and he will not condem you or expell you or ex-communicate you from him. It took me about a month to submit paperwork & almost 3 months for them to take my name off of church records and such. Of course they had to send the note of my eternal consequences for making this decision which was hard for a moment b/c of what they taught me. But really life is more peaceful, harminous with Jesus and God no other falsehoods from within the religion .....but that's just my personal experience
Old 12-05-2004, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Kimberly, for sharing your story.
When I first started my exit from the church I thought I wouldn't particularly care to have my name removed. But I suddenly feel that I want to. I just don't want to belong to any church in spirit or name. I don't know particularly why it is important to me, but it is. I won't be doing it right away because my dh's family is so near and we don't want to cause them heartache, but in the spring when we plan from moving from here I most likely will start the ball rolling.

Ya know, I'm really bummed that this thread pretty much died. Not upset with anyone or anything. I know a couple of people who were participating on this thread have gone into more activity in the church and less questioning so they probably don't feel a desire to be here. I guess I just feel like I am talking to myself. Which is ok cause I'm good company and all. But really, if no one else is dealing with these issues I am sort of talking to myself.

Carry on.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:13 PM
A&A

I'm still listening.

It's been almost a decade since I really stopped going to church, so I'm completely at peace with where I am and I don't have a lot to "discuss" about it, personally. However, I'm willing to talk if you want me to!

I understand feeling like you want your name off the records. I think you have to go through an "angry" phase--at least I did. I'm not angry anymore, but I'm still sad that so many LDS people don't want to be friends with non-LDS people, at least here in Utah. I guess that's karma for how my very LDS family (of origin) used to treat non-LDS people.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you A&A.

I visit another board for ex/questioning members and it is nice but everyone is in a different phase of life then me (older). I liked this thread because we all had so much in common. I can honestly say I'm not really angry about my participation in the church. That probably stems from not being born in it and subjected to it for my entire life. I am completely grateful for my time spent in the church because it did alot to broaden my mind and contributed to my growth. But it is interesting leaving the church and a few things are slightly difficult to cope with...
the instant social group I had before is gone, tension with family, getting funny looks when I forget what I'm doing and go out in a tank top/with a cup of coffee/etc..., and eventually we will probably be dealing with visits from hometeachers and bishopric. Plus I have an urge to talk about all the things I am discovering about the church history and leaders. It is all just so shocking to me and I am so suprised (but not really) that they keep it all covered so well.
But I really am willing to just let this thread pass away if there are no longer any other questioning/exiting members. I'm glad for the ex-mormons that are here listening, but, like you said, it is a thing of the past for you. I'm also glad for the current members who may be reading but they probably don't have much to contribute either.
Thanks for listening.
Beth
Old 12-05-2004, 02:49 PM
A&A

So at what age did you join the church? I was a "lifer."

I don't have any angst about leaving anymore, but I'm always interested in the discussions of family, society, and church history as it relates to leaving. And you're right.... a LOT has been covered up. But if no one else wants to join in and you want to let this thread die, then that's ok with me, too.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I joined just about 6 years ago, just around my 20th birthday. My dh is lifer.

I've really been appalled at all the racism that has existed in the church throughout time. My dh recently read that originally, with Joseph Smith, the preisthood was given to blacks but under Brigham Young it was denied, which is a very little known fact. Then there's Spencer W. Kimball's speech in 1960 about the native americans becoming more and more "white and delightsome". I don't know how they church can paint itself in such a good light with such terrible racism in its history as recently as the 1970's, with men leading it who have thought such things as this.

My dh and I were also recently discussing the changes in the temple ceremony. I had heard about some of these before but never thought much of it, but looking at what they early members of the church had to promise and *do* in the temple is very sad. These were people who lived each day in the very town of the leader of the church who were probably truly scared for their lives were they to reveal anything. Kind of creepy stuff. I had never really thought of it from thier viewpoint before.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:12 PM

I'm still here. I've been inactive for a year. Haven't made it official yet. We've moved so I'm actually not sure who to turn the resignation into. But I'd love to continue some discussion here. It's just so busy this time of year. Talk later ladies.

Toodles,
Megan
Old 12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
A&A

Bloobug, you'd turn your "resignation" into your current bishop--that is, the bishop of whatever area you're living in. I didn't like that---that in and of itself seemed like I was acknowledging his authority by even discussing the issue with a man I didn't know.

2much2luv, have you read Women and Authority: Re-emerging Mormon Feminism ? It's very interesting, and was recommended on this thread previously. I found it interesting that women in the church used to give their children blessings along with their husbands--which makes sense because typically women are the family caretakers.

Yes, racism in the church is/was a huge issue for me, as well. And the pioneers brought slaves with them! And the 1978 "reversal" on the priesthood issue regarding blacks wasn't even front-page news of the LDS Church News! In fact, the front page story was about President Kimball discouraging inter-racial marriage.

My grandpa used to say (about African Americans, but he called them something less else): "When the Lord accepts them, then I will accept them." Low and behold, Grandpa didn't change his mind after 1978. Go figure.

Has anyone read the new book "Under the Banner of Heaven" ? I haven't yet, but it looks interesting. We could start a January "book club" about it, if you want to (read the chapters at the same time and discuss them.) Let me know.

The church just seems kind of ..........freaky to me, now. It seems like J.S. had a serious sexual addiction problem, and "created" polygamy to make up for it.

Also it's way freaky that my dad (as a bishop) once performed a ritual to cast spirits out of a guy. (Of course the actual word escapes me now.) I just remember that it was the Avon lady's husband.........and I was totally freaked out every time I had to go over there to pick up Avon for my mom!!

I think it must be different having been in the church for a short time (like you have) vs. having been in it your whole life. For me, it took me awhile to get over the feeling that my whole life had been a sham. How is your dh currently dealing with it?

PS. Have you checked out the website by the Tanners?
I'll have to search again for the link.

PS. I said this before, but my favorite aunt's dying wish was that I would get active in the church again. It took me awhile to get over that one, as well.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

bloobug, good to see you. Actually you don't *have* to go through your local bishop. They would love for you to do it that way, with an exit interview and everything, but they really can't make you do that. This site has instructions for resigning and she seems to really know what she's talking about. I plan on following those directions when I do put the paper in.

Quote:
have you read Women and Authority: Re-emerging Mormon Feminism ?
I haven't, but its on my list after hearing about it on this thread.

When it comes to the race issue, and really all issues in the church, the thing members will tell you is that they were only human and humans aren't perfect. ITA with that, but if something claims to be the true church of God, the only true church on earth then I think they should be leaders in the world and not followers. For example when I bring up the fact that Joseph Smith married a 14 year old I always get the standard answer that "that is something that was done back then...different time, different culture" but, I'd like to know, is it something that should have been done, or should the leader and prophet of the "one true church" have known better and done better? I ask that about all the terrible terrible things that have been done all along by the church as a whole and by leaders of the church.

It all seems a bit "freaky" to me too now. But no more then any other large church. I think men(and women) in power do (and say) strange and terrible things sometimes. I don't think its a "cult" any more then any other religious group and I don't believe alot of the sensationalized stories about the current day church. I just think its a church, like any other church. I do believe it started out as a cult-ish type of thing but has developed into a more wholesome thing by necessity. I guess it is actually a good thing. I wish all cult leaders would fall to social pressures and lead their followers into more normal behaviors.

My dh is actually handling things really well. He is not emotional (at all) and generally not too affected by things anyway. He is (like me) grateful for all he gained from the church but sees that it is time to move on. He (and I both) love his mom to death because she is such a sweet lady and we feel a little sad at the hurt we are causing her, but its just one of those things we can't pretend about. We actually discussed it after he came out to her (I don't remember if I already shared this or not) and decided we have to do this thing now or the burden will just get passed onto our children. Another generation growing up in something we think is wrong, and up to them to break away from it. So even though it will have difficult moments I'm sure we are ready to do it.

I think a book reading is a wonderful idea. There are so many topics that we could discuss that I just don't know where to start. It would be good, I think, to have a guide. I won't be able to order that book until January because Christmas has us strapped for money, but maybe in early-mid January we can start reading and discussing. Is "Under the Banner of Heaven" good for anyone who wants to join in? If you have another suggestion you think would work better bring it up.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

oops. I just looked up Under the Banner of Heaven and it really doesn't look like something I want to read. :
Has anyone read "Insider's View of Mormon Origins" by Grant Palmer? Its not a brand new book but Grant Palmer has been called to church court on the 12th of December, so it might be a good time to read it.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 AM
A&A

On second thought, Under the Banner of Heaven looks like it has too much of the Lafferty brothers in it for my comfort, as well. I haven't heard of the book you mentioned, but here are some other possibilities, also:

In Sacred Loneliness (The plural wives of Joseph Smith) -- I was always taught growing up that polygamy started with B.Y.

One Nation Under Gods

Early Mormonism and the Magic World View --anything by D. Michael Quinn is supposed to be excellent; he was, by the way, excommunicated after he, in my opinion, touched a raw nerve by doing too much research.

Oh yeah, exorcism. That's the word I was trying to think of previously. My dad performed an exorcism. I have no idea how common or uncommon that is in the LDS church, but I'm sure it's not talked about much.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:31 AM

A&A that is the first time I've ever heard of an exorcism being performed by the LDS church. My brain kind of stopped for a second when i first read it lol. As for a reading club or whatnot, that would be fabulous. I've already read One Nation Under Gods and loved it! And I was planning on reading it again.
And we have decided that we're going to find out what ward we belong to in this area and send a letter to the Bishop to have our name's removed. I really don't think they'll make too much of a fuss since they don't personally know us. I'm hoping anyway. If they do, oh well, they're mistake.

My grandpa died last week. And we went to his funeral on Monday. I was enjoying the company and the knowledge that my grandpa was out of his pain and somewhere happy. But........yeah, there's a but.......my family is very very LDS. So all morning long we were bombarded with the doctrine of what happens when you die and all that. I had to fight not to roll my eyes. And I was chosen to give his Life Sketch, and not feeling LDS anymore did not end in the "I say these things in blah blah name, amen blah blah." I just left the pulpit and sat down. Very weird vibe from people after that.

But, anyway. lol I'm blah blahing.

For those looking for new traditions to replace old one's what have you come up with? We've actually stepped completely out of christianity and are kind of dabbling in a bit of everything. We're going to celebrate Yule this year. And the other pagan holidays. But I'm not sure we're going to make anything ritual. Just let things fall into their own groove.

Megan
Old 12-08-2004, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

We too have stepped out of Christianity so that changes alot of our family rituals. I probably going to be working alot of the pagan/earthbased rituals into our lives, but not right away. I'm just not educated enough on it all to jump right in. Probably by spring solstice I will have my thoughts together enough to do an official pagan holiday. It's interesting that we really don't have to change much though because these "christian" holidays we celebrate already have so much pagan in them.

Lets keep throwing out book ideas,laidies and then maybe we'll vote on it at the end of the month.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:53 AM

I read Under the Banner several months ago and really liked it. Krakauer is a great story-teller so that even though I was familiar with 90% of the stories in the book, it was still a great read. Besides the Laffertys, he spends a great deal of time on Mountain Meadows Massacre and modern-day polygamy, which I found much more interesting.

Someone emailed me this website about Grant Palmer if anyone's interested:
http://www.geocities.com/defend_grant_palmer/

Megan, I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. I hate Mormon funerals for how exclusionary they are. My grandma died last year and I left her funeral feeling so alienated.

We've yet to get our records removed. At first I didn't want to upset my parents, but now it's something we'd like to do, but have never gotten around to doing.

As far as beliefs, we've abanonded Christianity too. For Christmas we try to incorporate lots of different religions and cultures into our celebration. One year we went to a Hanukuh party at the Jewish Cultural Center. I've tried to make our Christmas tree pagan by decorating it with more nature-type ornaments--pine cones, birds, spirals, etc. I'd love to find a really cool sun to put at the top instead of a star. And I do have a nativity scene sitting on my coffee table so we do get a little bit of Jesus. I like to look at Christmas as a great way to spend the coldest, darkest, most miserable time of the year. And I do like the symbolism Paganism provides of celebrating the return of the sun.

Someone mentioned the UU--we've been attending sporadically for the past 5 years or so. It's a good fit for us, but it's not very near our house so we don't make it very often, esp. since DS was born. Until recently he took his morning nap at the same time as church. I would really like to go more often since I feel like my kids need to be able to say they have a church they go to, living in Utah and all.

I've always been bothered by the racism in Mormonism. The church strongly discouraged interracial marriage until after the death of Spencer W. Kimball (in 1985!). I have a friend who is a parttime professer at BYU and she told me that she interviewed for a fulltime position but was told they couldn't hire her fulltime since her husband is black and they have some policy against interracial marriages. This was just a year or two ago. When she tried to get more information about it they told her if she's goes forward with it they would take her temple recommend. It sounds very unbeliveable, I know, but there it is.

And blech, don't even get me started on Joseph Smith and 14-year-old girls. Polygamy is one thing, but using your power and authority to have sex with young girls is just wrong no matter how you look at. The thing is, 90% of Mormons have no idea that he was practicing polygamy in that manner at all. I remember once my hometeacher asked me about what problems I had with Joseph Smith and when I mentioned the polygamous relationships with teenagers and he was like, "No, that was Brigham Young, not Joseph Smith." (Which is funny because even if that was the case, does that really make it ok ?) Allright, sorry--I didn't mean to turn this into a bash-the-church thread--I was just responding to things that had already been discussed .

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

For me, in planning holidays and celebrations, it isn't really difficult at all not having the christian aspect anymore, because there is so much out there that you can replace it with. I do have to do alot of reading to become familiar with the other rituals and beliefs, but thats the fun part.

I'd rather this not become a simple church bashing thread. I would rather it be a place where members can question and think outside the box and all of us involved with the LDS church, past or present, can bounce ideas and thoughts off of each other. I would love to hear from any church members who might be lurking. What are your thoughts on these things?

I'll consider Under the Banner, but I don't know if I can handle the true crime aspect of it. I can't handle reading true crime novels. *shudder* but if the book has alot of other good info in it I would be willing to read it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 PM

I was mulling this thread over in my mind and have a question:

If you had a moment where the Spirit confirmed something to you, what now do you think that was?

Old 12-09-2004, 07:09 PM

Hello,
I hope you don't mind me posting here--I have some questions and hoped you all could help me find the answers.

When I was a child my best friend was LDS. She had a wonderful family, and I spent a great deal of time there--especially since my family was not so great. Long story short I converted to the LDS church when I was 15 years old.

Once I left home for college I began to really do some reading and soul searching, and decided that the church was not for me. So I have not gone to a LDS church since I was 18 (I am 39 now).

I now attend our local Catholic church and my husband and I are raising our children to be Catholic. He was raised Catholic too--so it is part of his family history. We are happy with our religion.

The questions I have now are whether I should "officially" quit the LDS church by writing to the ward I use to go to. Why would I want to do this? What are the benefits of doing this? Since I have not gone to a LDS church in 22 years, would it even matter?

Thanks for any help,
Lisa
Old 12-09-2004, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you had a moment where the Spirit confirmed something to you, what now do you think that was?
I did have a time, though not really one specific moment, in which I felt a confirmation that the BoM was true. Looking back at it I think it was emotion, pure and simple. I have felt the exact same feelings when I've seen a moving film, heard moving music, or read a moving book. I don't know how else to explain it because I know that he BoM isn't factual and I know that Joseph Smith wasn't what he claimed to be. Not that the BoM doesn't have some good stuff in it and Joseph Smith didn't have some good ideas, just that I don't think the feeling I had while reading and pondering the BoM was a "spirit" telling me that it was true. My own personal take on the "spirit" (which, incidentally, people of all faiths as well of people of no faith feel from time to time) is that it is the humanity in us, the thing that connects us to everyone else on the planet, the thing that appreciates beauty, the thing that will carry on somewhere after our body dies.
I had other moments in the church where something was confirmed to me by way of the "spirit", and looking back at each of these events I can see that it was emotions that were tugging on my heart and not anything mystical.

Thank you, KMJ, for your question. I'm glad you are still reading along. Who else is lurking out there? :
Old 12-09-2004, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Lisa.
I don't think there's really any benefit in getting your name removed from the church records unless you have a desire to no longer be a technical member of the church. With your name on the records it is possible that they will find you and try to reactivate you at some point, but even as a non-member it is possible for the missionaries to find you and try to convert you, so I don't really see the difference myself. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't really have a desire to do it.
Beth
Old 12-09-2004, 07:32 PM

Quote:
...which, incidentally, people of all faiths as well of people of no faith feel from time to time...
I know. I felt it when I was younger, and Catholic, and when I was godless. I have learned in my studies that a portion of the Spirit is given to all. I know for a fact it told me to get out of the way of an oncoming car when I was a child.

As a teacher in various auxiliaries, I've really tried to put that across when I teach, because I found a doctrinal source that says all people are given a portion of the Spirit.

Anyway, that's a side note. Thank you for telling me what you think it was. I confess I have a fascination for those who have left (not the militant antis, more the ones who feel it's not right for them). It's nice to be able to read their words here, and ask questions.

User Tag List